back to article EU shoves telly signals aside for next-gen mobile broadband

Every country in Europe will be required to clear TV transmissions out of the 800MHz band by the end of 2012 in the hope of enabling cross-europe roaming for LTE phones. The edict comes from the European Parliament, which hopes that if the range is cleared in time then countries will adopt matching band plans to enable roaming …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Harmless

Geek's guide to 800MHz

The "800 MHz Band" (790-862 agreed for 4G at WRC-07) is where TV channels 61 to 69 used to be (ch 69 wasn't for TV but was used for wireless mics which have moved down to channel 38).

The original "Digital Dividend" cleared TV out of 63 to 68/69, so there's a whole new round of re-planning and shifting TV around to clear out channels 61 and 62; yet more Freeview retunes :)

4G will use 2 paired chunks of 30 MHz (41MHz apart) as 6 paired 5MHz channels :

790-791 - unused 'guardband'

791-821 - Base - Downlinks DL1 to DL6

832-862 - Mobile - Uplinks UL1 to UL6

The spare space in between (821-832) will be for more wireless mics.

1. Refugee from Windows

Re: Geek's guide to 800MHz

Is it me, or in a few years they'll be reporting that some yet to be conceived service will be taking the last chunk of spectrum down to 470MHz, thus killing terrestrial telly off?

1. Ralph B
        Go

Re: killing terrestrial telly off

Well, I hardly ever watch it any more.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Re: killing terrestrial telly off

Just when it is now completely stable.

They have switched off the analogue jamming stations

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Geek's guide to 800MHz

Wouldn't surprise me to see them kill terrestrial telly off, in favour of Freesat from the BBC or subscription service from Sky, and for some areas, there is also the option of Virgin cable.

Imagine how much they would make selling the ENTIRE DTT spectrum whilst pushing everyone onto Freesat?

2. Arnold Lieberman
    Coat

LTE seems like a mess

Not only are the frequency allocation and transmission standards jumbled up, but it uses more power than 3G, which is worse than 2G. Expect mobile phone standby times to drop again...

Mine's the one with the car battery in the man bag.

1. asdf
      FAIL

Re: LTE seems like a mess

Yep the battery drop is very noticeable but at least equally noticeable is how hot a lot of the 1st gen LTE chipsets get under heavy usage.

3. Andrew Jones 2
    Thumb Down

sigh.....

I am unsure why they believe we want to roam?

If they are still charging the sorts of prices roaming costs today - then I and most people I know will leave the mobile at home when travelling. I still have no idea how exactly they can justify the prices they are charge - especially for data - most networks charge something like £2.50 per 1mb - while that practice continues - for the vast majority of normal people (read people who aren't rich) - that's something they just cannot afford.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lets hope the European commission mandate a better system with regards to neighbouring frequencies than the current situation allows for. LTEt in its current form allow the trouncing over the 868 band at a level that those using the 868 band aren't allowed to transmit at if using listen before talk. Still lets not worry about all those existing alarm systems In the field this is mobile after all.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

where's the free to use end user long range two way wireless provision on this land grab!

"The 800MHz band is being cleared as part of the switch to digital television, which squeezes more channels into fewer frequencies. That opens up gaps at the top and bottom of the band, and this agreement covers the top gap. This frequency reshuffle is needed to release the 1.2GHz of bandwidth that the EU reckons will be needed by 2015."

OC there's still NO EU mandate to give some of this ex-tv spectrum the users own to the actual end users explicit use for "longer range" wireless 11n and better 1gigabit, with up to 20/40 bonded channels available , by the time there is if ever, there will be nothing viable for longer range and better building penetration OC for the end users to independently use without paying a commercial provider to do so

6. Rob Davis

LTE/4G More socially useful than community TV (Jeremy Hunt MP Culture Secretary's idea)

I would favour an alternative to the community TV plans outlined by Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt MP for the UK and use this bandwidth for 4G and LTE services to provide high speed mobile broadband services where possible.

Surely such services are more socially useful than community TV. 4G and LTE services promise high speed mobile internet: a 2 way, many to many form of high speed communication enabling rural business, connecting local communities, including rural and enabling whole new applications and innovation - as well as providing TV services via iPlayer or live streamed.

Contrast that with TV - a limited, passively consumed, one to many broadcast platform. Exacerbate that limitation with the small concerns of community TV where there may be a struggle to find worthwhile content (and hold viewers interest), without the critical mass, reputation and economy of scale of a large broadcaster. But I would definitely say that by contrast that community *radio* can and does thrive, particularly being audio there is less resource required and people can do something else while listening.

But community TV and radio can be provided on LTE and 4G services - and not have any broadcast range footprint that such services would have through a transmitter.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like