back to article Freecom Mobile Drive Sq 500GB external HDD

This stylish mobile hard drive from Freecom is described by its manufacturer as "almost square", which is another way of saying it’s rectangular. Regardless, the rounded corners, "almost square" form-factor and sandblasted stainless steel finish give an aesthetic attractiveness that’s lacking in many an external hard drive. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AbortRetryFail
    WTF?

Huh?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but its USP seems to be that it's wider (and hence bigger) than it needs to be in order to achieve some strange goal of "squareness", which it admits it failed to achieve because of the word 'almost'

1. Neill Mitchell

Not hip to be a square

I agree. Seems like an example of form over function to me. That's going to take up more room in your bag and also looks much easier to drop. The hand model's fingers are at full stretch.

Those marketing people at work again.

Marketeer: "Hey, we need to make our drive stand out from the crowd. Let's make it nearly square"

Engineer: "But that will make it bigger surely?"

Marketeer:"Yeah, but don't worry it will look cool and we'll get a model with big hands"

Two months later:

Marketeer: "I said get a model with hands like a goalkeeper you idiot!

2. Kevin7
    WTF?

I'm sure you can get a 500GB external hard drive for much less money with a smaller physical footprint. It looks huge by today's standards, If you're buying hard drives based on their aesthetics I think you've lost your way a bit...

3. Shades

Why the hell...

...would you buy one of these when a 500Gb Freecom Mobile Drive XXS, with a "skin-tight" rubber sheath little bigger than the drive itself and in a colour that goes with everything (black), can be had for less?

I've got an old 250Gb version and I'd recommend them to anyone, even if only due to the fact that the rubber sheath acts like one giant foot and makes it damned hard to be pushed about, knocked off or even tipped off of almost any surface without actually having to put in the extra effort to purposefully do so.

1. Shades

Forgot to mention...

...that the Mobile Drive XXS is also Reg Hardware Recommended.

And no, I'm not a Freecom rep (I'd be a pretty stupid Freecom rep, pitching a cheaper Freecom drive over a more expensive Freecom drive!), I just think they're seriously worth a look to anybody in the market for a very slim and light external HDD.

This topic is closed for new posts.