back to article Reflection lets astronomers trick time

When a star system called Eta Carinae went on a weight-loss program in the 19th Century, it did so in spectacular style: in its 20-year “great eruption”, it was the second-brightest star in the sky, shed ten solar masses, and left echoes of light that have just been detected. The reflections described in this study in Nature …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. frank ly
      WTF?

Wow

Just....... wow.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You fail Physics *and* History forever.

The "radiation wave" is already hitting us. That's the only way we can observe light or other forms of EM radiation: when it reaches us. If we can see it, it's already here.

In fact, the "radiation wave" hit us in 1838. That's the strong wave, direct from the source, as opposed to these much-attenuated indirect reflections to which the article is referring - and which have also already hit us.

Also, the Mayans made no such predictions about exploding stars, radiation waves, or any other great disaster befalling us at the end of the 13th baktun. The only thing they were expecting was the beginning of the 14th baktun to occur the next day.

In conclusion: you are a gullible buffoon with nowt but cottage cheese between your ears.

1. Bush_rat
        Thumb Up

Re: You fail Physics *and* History forever.

Well put, +1

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: You fail Physics *and* History forever.

Credit where it's due. I learned the "You fail X forever" meme from TV Tropes.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Arctic fox
        Joke

Re: and on Dec 21, 2012 at 1200 am EST

"......................."and end up being the Maya and inventing this calendar?"

Which is then retrospectively patented by a well known mobile phone company in an attempt to corner the entire calender market throughout time. Thereafter they start to sue all calender makers from roughly 3000 years BC onwards claiming damages for irreparable harm.

4. Aaron Em

Trolling for downvotes?

Just phoning it in -- you need to find a more popular thread and state a more unpopular opinion if you really want to accomplish anything.

5. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Don't think about "The Event".

And, remain indoors.

(c) Mitchell and Webb, Event Minus 1.5 Years, Remain Indoors

1. Harmless
        Pint

Re: Don't think about "The Event".

1.5?! That's Numberwang!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a natural phenomenom..

It's an advanced civilisation who have worked out the stellar Aldis Lamp and they're signalling the equivalent of 'I'm on the train'

And does everyone else think of The Muppets whenever they see the word Phenomenom or is it just me?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a natural phenomenom..

Do doo do doo do.

2. Rob Quinn

"And does everyone else think of The Muppets whenever they see the word Phenomenom or is it just me?"

I do now.

3. jackharbringer

Actually, I was thinking:

Only Dr. Hans Zarkov, formerly of NASA, provided an explanation.

1. Local Group
        Trollface

RE: Dr. Hans Zarkov, formerly of NASA, provided an explanation.

Only after Ming promised him a three-way with Dale and Flash.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Muppets, no. Irn Bru, yes! :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

phenomenom....

....do do do do do... phenomenom.... do do do do....

4. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Mushroom

Solar winds

Ra farted?

I find this statement interesting: "All *well educated* astronomers would have bet that they would find the spectrum of a 7,000 kelvin star.”. Do I detect a hint of bitterness? I wonder what Copernicus, Galileo, Einstein, Newton, etc. would have said to that. Those chaps were "thinking outside the box" ages before the corporate buzzword was invented.

1. asdf
      FAIL

Re: Solar winds

Most of the people that use the phrase thinking outside the box, are C Suite sociopaths who only get creative in figuring out ways to destroy the company in the long term (long after they are gone) by boosting short term profits and their bonuses.

1. Goobertee
        Angel

Re: Re: Solar winds

Yep, thinking outside the box, getting out of our comfort zone...and numerous other expressions read by people who saw them on a page but generally didn't read the rest of the page.

5. mhenriday
    Thumb Up

Thanks for this report, Richard !

What an exciting time to be an astronomer !...

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like