back to article Microsoft spoons news to punters with Facebook, Twitter-slurp

Microsoft is trying to make its online estate stickier by creating a new site that pulls in updates from Web2.0 outfits such as Facebook, Twitter as well as its own Bing search engine. msnNOW was launched by Redmond yesterday. According to Microsoft, this new website "will help you stay in the know." The company, which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

AN ALARMING ITEM TO FIND ON YOUR TWITTERSLURP

#AmericanEnterpriseInstitute: Bombing of Iran has finally started. God Bless! [trending upwards]

[Like] this on MyFaceSpace.

[SMS] about this to your Friends. OMG! LOL!!

Discuss on >> [Reddit] [Disqus] [BingBong] [Trollcenter] [YourDataNowMyData]

[**Adv**] Today 30% off Modern Warfare 3! Limited "Tehran" Offer! [**Adv**]

--> !Vote Now!: Bombing is [justified] or [no opinion]. This poll brought to you by #AIPAC.

BREAKING NEWS:

[ ... Oil futures: ↑↑↑ ... QE 12 in discussion ... Whitney Houston Revival Concert booked out ... ]

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Facepalm

Re: AN ALARMING ITEM TO FIND ON YOUR TWITTERSLURP

Looks like badly written C code to me!

Meanwhile "Americans under the age of 30 get their information from various social media sites"

Information on social media sites, another oxymoron from the people who brought us Microsoft Works.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: AN ALARMING ITEM TO FIND ON YOUR TWITTERSLURP

> Looks like badly written C code to me!

You must be a really shit coder then.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
          FAIL

Re: Re: Re: You must be a really shit coder then.

And you don't have a sense of humour Anonyotard.

Not that it was a particularly funny joke either.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: Re: You must be a really shit coder then.

Anonyotard?

Looks like spelling is not your forté either.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
              Holmes

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You must be a really shit coder then.

Gentlemen! I urge calm!

3. Toastan Buttar
        Happy

Re: Re: AN ALARMING ITEM TO FIND ON YOUR TWITTERSLURP

> from the people who brought us Microsoft Works

“The goal is to catch trends as they are accelerating and capture them before they hit the mainstream, in a way that is captivating,” said Microsoft Bob

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

MEANWHILE ON YOUR GOOGLE+ SLURP

+Exclusive photos of Mountain View's Googleplex

+WHERE IS THE PUTT PUTT COURSE at Google? (15042 +1's)

+Circumventing +Larry Page's pudding ban

+GOOGLE PRIVACY IS CHANGING READ NOW

+Android now has a bazillion activations per day

+Ice Cream Sandwich now on 1% of phones! Jellybean coming in two months.

+MOTOROLA DEAL, what this means to your stock portfolio

+Android's openness saves kitten from drowning, now in HD

+Accessing Google Intranet services from Mac OS X

+Is Google+ the best?

+Chrome update coming, Instant Google+ feature! Join Google+ automatically, plus cross post auto-suggestion when using competing services.

---[-]+Marissa Mayer's sex tape[/-] (user banned due explicit content)

-[-]+Johnny Cash's middle finger[/-] (photo removed due to explicit content)

+WHERE ARE THE POSTS ON GOOGLE+?

+Help I'm on 10000 Google+ Circles but know none of them

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I read that as.

"More than a quarter of Americans under the age of 30 don't care about hard news."

and

“What we’re really looking for is the velocity of trending topics – what’s boiling to the surface,” Visse says. “The goal is to catch trends as they are accelerating and capture them before they hit the mainstream, in a way that is captivating,”

Is there something captivating about reposting someone's babble on FB/Twitter/etc.

1. Roger Varley

Re: I read that as.

“What we’re really looking for is the velocity of trending topics – what’s boiling to the surface,” Visse says. “The goal is to catch trends as they are accelerating and capture them before they hit the mainstream, in a way that is captivating,”

What does that *actually* mean in English?.

1. Richard Crossley
        Boffin

Re: Re: I read that as.

It means "We're going to look at what people are discussing between themselves and publish that as if it were news."

It sounds so less fun and hip when the Mediaspeak is removed.

2. Euripides Pants
        Windows

Re: What that actually means in English

"Blahblah Blah Blahblahblahblah

3. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

How stupidity has became a virtue

Sadly, what we are seeing with this "development" is that facts no longer matter, what counts is what is popular, and what is popular becomes truth, I read it on the internet, it must be true.

This is exactly the situation described in Charles P. Pierce's 2005 book "Idiot America: How Stupidity Became A Virtue In The Land Of The Free"

Pierce’s main premises in “Idiot America” are

1) Any theory is valid if it sells books, soaks up ratings, or otherwise moves units.

2) Anything can be true if somebody says it on television.

3) Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it.

http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0207GREETINGS

Popularity has replaced critical thinking in merkin-land it seems, this sort of social media crap is spreading the psychology of Idiot America across the world. It's a battle of Intellect Vs gut feeling. As the saying goes, "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How stupidity has became a virtue

>This is exactly the situation described in Charles P. Pierce's 2005 book "Idiot America: How Stupidity Became A Virtue In The Land Of The Free"

> Any theory is valid if it sells books, soaks up ratings, or otherwise moves units.

Seems you're falling for the same trap then.

But you're right, no point in me arguing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How stupidity has became a virtue

You only have to look at the comments on the Daily Mail website to see this in action. People tend (or should that be trend?!) to add their upvote to the comment with the most upvotes. Sometimes true on here too.

So the facts are not necessarily what is being voted on, but a desire to be thought as agreeing with the majority view. It is easy to be short of time and just get into the habit of reading the top rated article and adding your upvote without reading what may be a more "true" comment but as yet uncommented. Therefore, like blogging, if you weren;t in at the start it is very diificult to become a top poller later on, just due to the numbers and the her voting. Most top rated comments were there from just after the start, indicating that the whole thing is rather self feeding.

I'd hate to see news provided like that, although it is already starting to happen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: How stupidity has became a virtue

I wonder how easy that is to manipulate.

Sounds scary.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Clutter...?!

"It cuts through the clutter of the web, providing an up-to-the-minute view of breaking trends and the hottest social conversations, what people are saying about them, and why they matter."

Three tabs - Tweetdeck, Facebook and Google *sorry*, Bing.

Wow, my browser is so cluttered. I just don't know I've coped.

5. ADJB

"More than a quarter of Americans under the age of 30 get their information from various social media sites."

I read that as

"More than a quarter of Americans under the age of 30 get their information from vacuous social media sites."

Still think my way makes more sense.

6. Keep Refrigerated

"It cuts through the clutter of the web..."

s/cuts through/scoops up and serves/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like