back to article Blighty's gov to spunk up to £2.9b on crim-stalking tech

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) is looking to spend up to £2.9bn on electronic monitoring technology. The department monitors about 25,000 people electronically at any one time, using the technology to help enforce the curfew of a individual with a community order, court bail order or released on licence. Some 116,000 people …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Miek
    Coat

"The MoJ says in the notice that it may in future decide to use the PSN connectivity and services frameworks to award lot four." -- It's called SEN now not PSN and what are our plods doing playing Playstation when they should be working?

Why are you handing me my coat?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm always shocked when numbers like £2.9bn are banded about for technology that already exists and is already well supported by more than one industry...They are saying they will spend close to 3billion quid (lets face it it's NEVER the lower number) for a service that is little better than sticking an android phone in a secure box gaffer taped to the leg of a scally and using locatemydroid to check in from time to time.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I propose a V4 Dynamics CRM implementation.

That tracks prisoners and court orders.

It will have the ability to make changes to court order scheduling, using something that looks like its using something incredibly similar to telerik controls.

Can I have the 2.9 Billion, and I guarantee the system will work, on time, and to budget, though I'm not saying how I can guarantee it works, er, will be working.

What could possibly go wrong, how could there possibly be cost overruns? I'm happy to bet that there will be though.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: I propose a V4 Dynamics CRM implementation.

Dynamics?

You mean Microsoft dynamics?

The bastard child of 2 completely different ERP systems basically bought for their user bases but with little actually in common?

"What could possibly go wrong, how could there possibly be cost overruns? "

You jest surely?

Sadly even this *looks* like a better bet than what they will probably get, likely 99% bespoke proprietary because (of course) *noone* has to do this sort of thing.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

HMG serious about getting SME's involved.

Yeah right.

Now that a top end of £290m/year.

"little better than sticking an android phone in a secure box gaffer taped to the leg of a scally and using locatemydroid to check in from time to time."

TBH in an era when small boxes on high value containers allow tracking by *satellite* in Geosynchronous orbit is that not a huge about to spend?

5. Steve 26
    FAIL

It would be cheaper to hire 25,000 people to follow the crims on the basis of £2.9bn/25,000 = £116,000 each over 6 years, = £19,333 p/a

1. despairing citizen
      Big Brother

Re: Cheaper

You forgot to mention, more reliable, proven technology, and less likely to be easily fooled.

"i'm sorry officer, I could not have been robbing that bank, as my bleeper clearly shows that I was at home when it called in to check, because my call forwarding system picked it up, sorry, forget I mentioned that call forwarding system"

6. Ru
    Big Brother

Get with the times, Whitehall.

Replace all the fancy tag hardware with a plain old, off-the-shelf mobile. Load it up with the current crop of Facebook crapware. Have the crims friend their local community support folk, and make em update their facebook location at regular intervals. Problem solved! Facebook know what they're doing when it comes to stalking, and most of the current crop of criminals don't need to be told to use facebook.

It can only be the beginning of a beautiful public/private partnership.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Be prepared for another £3Bn wasted.

Then the next time any political party or supporter bangs on about wasted money on IT projects, BOTH parties can be blamed!

8. Nursing A Semi
    Coat

Proven Tech

For years you have been able to get a small chip implanted in dogs or cats, would not be too great a leap to add a proximity detector for the home to alert when more than a given distance away from it either. Chip £18 and detector plus telephony maybe £200 - Job done.

9. mark 63 Silver badge
    Happy

25,000 people electronically at any one time,

2.9 billion ?

Thats 1.16 million per person per year.

Give me half that money , I'll pay a top notch bouncer / bodyguard / enforcer / babysitter / teacher £100,000 per year to look after each scallywag 24/7...

...and put the other 400 million in me pocket!

10. SJRulez
    Joke

3 foot chain attached to rather large heavy ball, there we go problem solved.... Serves a few purposes, people passing them in the street know they are a criminal offender, slows them down if they commit crime so our stuck behind the desk cops can actually catch them, costs about £50 each and if your lucky some metal thief will take it to the scrappy crusher with it still attached to their leg.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like