back to article Lego builds Lord of the Rings collection

Lego has confirmed it will bring Frodo and co. to its block party this year, with a Lego Lord of the Rings collection set to launch this summer. A Lego The Hobbit range is also earmarked for late 2012 to coincide with the film's cinema release. Lego: The Lord of the Rings Gandalf the Grey, Aragorn, Legolas, Boromir and Gimli …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. quarky
    WTF?

The characters are all the same size??

Still, it looks good :) Considering the LOTR films are rated 12 though, is there not a slight mismatch between the product and the age of the target audience? Or do a lot of parents let younger kids watch the LOTR films?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re relative scale

The image I saw on (Engadget?) of The Fellowship of the Ring figures had the taller figures (Strider, Gandolf, Legolas, Boromir) with a colour-matched [1 x 1, 1/3 height block] on each foot, thus making them taller than the hobbits and dwarves of the party.

The image ElReg has used is of higher resolution, though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Size of Lego Figures

The Hobbits and Dwarf figures look like they use a shorter pair of legs than normal (like has been used on the Lego Yoda in the past). These shorter legs don't bend like normal Lego figures but achieve the right effect.

2. TRT Silver badge

Well...

they made a Robocop cartoon. I wouldn't let *ME* watch Robocop, let alone a 12 year old. That scene where they torture and kill Murphy at the beginning. *shudder*

Tolkein wrote The Hobbit as a kids story; I reckon it's OK.

1. Aaron Em

I'm...

...pretty sure that the Robocop cartoon and the Robocop movies don't share much in the way of content beyond the protagonist.

This is pretty much standard for Verhoeven, actually -- the same thing happened with Starship Troopers, didn't it?

1. TRT Silver badge

Yes, but it's part of the same series, and interest in one could generate interest in the other. I mean, you wouldn't expect to see an Alien Face-hugger Plushy toy, would you? Would you?

1. TRT Silver badge
          Facepalm

Oh...

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Manufacturer-Alien-Facehugger-Plush/dp/B004RCVZLA

Rule 34.3. There is plush of it.

3. Bakunin
    Devil

Playmobil

We need a Playmobil reconstruction of this story. Just 'cause.

4. TRT Silver badge

And, of course...

there's the obligatory Lego game that comes with any major film-tie-in release. That's got to be worth it! The Star-Wars cut scenes crack me up.

1. Wombling_Free
      Thumb Up

not EVERY major film....

There was no Avatar Lego - though the spacecraft, ducted-helicopter things and walker make great MOC models!

There is no Dr. Who Lego - although there DAMN WELL SHOULD BE!

There was no Dances With Wolves or Bodyguard Lego; for which we should be eternally thankful (although we could have had a Lego bathtub piece - is it too early for that?)

Some more Lego series we should have - Lego Cthulu, Lego Starship Troopers, Lego Blakes 7

Some Lego series we SHOULDN'T have - Minecraft (seriously), Cars, Toy Story, Batman

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

No Doctor Who Lego

(Cough) Character Options "Character Building" (cough)

They you may well be aware of it and decrying the quality of the materials and the artistry of the models which would be superior under the Danes. In which case I apologise for mentioning it.

2. TRT Silver badge

Re: not EVERY major film....

Ah, you are right, of course. There was no Lego game IIRC produced for the tie-in to Toy Story. Or Spiderman.

However, games released where Lego has had a tie-in to a film:

Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean.

And if you are making a Lego wish list, what about Thunderbirds? All those crazy pod vehicles...

5. jai

was also going to note that the Hobbit figures are going to be completely the wrong scale

also, why is Helm's Deep the large set? surely a full working model of Minas Tirith, or Mount Doom would contain many many more pieces. and be quite awesome too.

i hope they do a Isengard set, if only so that then someone will inevitably do a youtube video of a Lego version of the "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard" song/video/meme which cracks me up everytime I see it... almost as much as the "What's tatters?" one...

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. OrientalHero
    Headmaster

Actually, whilst the Two Towers and Return of the King were 12 rated, the Fellowship of the Ring was PG rated!

So I let my kids watch that (currently 4 and 7).

And yes, they'll probably be 10 and 7 when they watch the rest.

Hmmm.... I wonder if Lego LOTR the game will be out soon....

FYI That's how the kids got into Star Wars/Indiana Jones via the Lego games on the Wii / PS3

1. Ian Yates
      Joke

I'm concerned that one of your children is aging very fast, or fascinated by the fact that one isn't aging at all!

2. FartingHippo
      FAIL

4 years old?!?

Nothing like ring wraiths, battle scenes, orcs and a fucking balrog to scar a 4-year-old's dreams for the next 3 years.

Good job. Not.

3. quarky
      Childcatcher

4 & 7?

The same age as mine (son and daughter). I suspect my four year old son would be better at coping with it than my seven year old daughter, but think they would be be hiding behind their chocolate milk!

1. BorkedAgain
        Childcatcher

Well...

My six-year-old was almost inconsolable when we reached the end of the Hobbit. The Neverending Story is keeping us busy for the time being but there's nothing really suitable to bridge the gap to the LOTR. Smith of Wootton Major, maybe...

...or else we just dive in with the Nazgul and the Balrogs...

1. Reality Dysfunction

what you need...

spiderwick chronicles.... lemony snickets... labyrinth that type of thing (anything without Harry Fn Potter really) are perfect for 6 year olds, and who knew goblins explode when you hit them with tomato sauce.

2. FartingHippo

"better at coping with it"

And you don't see a problem with that approach?

1. quarky
          Facepalm

Of course.

That is why they wouldn't watch it.

8. jai

Lego games

would be awesome to get Lego LOTR ps3 game

the Star Wars and Indiana Jones ones were brilliant, tongue in cheek, adaptations.

1. DrXym

Great but stale

My kid loves these games but IMO they're getting pretty stale. It's more or less the same mechanics regardless of the franchise just with a different skin and music.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Great but stale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lego_video_games

Someone seems to have heard something.

9. Tom 38

The thing with these lego sets

Impressive - yes. But all you can do with them is make the specific design on the box. If you mix these with other blocks, then you probably won't be able to even do that again, and all the 'custom' blocks that make this look good probably can't be that re-used.

When I were a kid*, lego mainly came in a big box where everything went. You could build whatever you wanted out of it, as long as you wanted something slightly blocky and in varied colours. With these sorts of sets, surely kids just are always wanting their next fix. It can't be good to train kids to anticipate these things like their next crack fix, certainly not for the parents wallet.

* Here we go…

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Though they still do make the big buckets of generic mixed bricks - and since you aren't paying for content licencing fees, they represent quite good value, compared to the themed kits.

I find a few big generic sets with some carefully-selected smaller thematic kits mixed in (for some esoteric, but re-usable specalised parts) is good mix.

I will usually build the thing on the box once just-because then loose the instructions and never care to build the 'official' model again.

2. Wombling_Free
      WTF?

But all you can do with them is make the specific design on the box.

What, you only follow the instructions?

"You could build whatever you wanted out of it, as long as you wanted something slightly blocky and in varied colours."

And what has changed?

" It can't be good to train kids to anticipate these things like their next crack fix, certainly not for the parents wallet."

Kids? What kids? Children would just get dirt in My Precious! And I can give up my Lego habit ANY time I want.

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Unhappy

When I were a kid

"You could build whatever you wanted out of it, as long as you wanted something slightly blocky and in varied colours."

When I was young I had a spaceship under my bed, an alternative universe in the wardrobe and our rockery was an offshoot of Mars. I don't recall any problems of scale with a Action Man battling alongside Major Matt Mason and a horde of Mr Whippy keychain figures. A ruler, pencil and elastic band made a first class rocket. Wooden alphabet-blocks were pretty frightening robots, walls and bombs all rolled into one.

I despair for children if blockiness or colour of anything has so limited imagination these days.

10. Robert E A Harvey

Did you surreptitiously sneak a reference to Market Deeping, Lincolnshire into the article?

1. The Original Cactus
      Headmaster

The Deeping Wall

See that Lego set with the big wall? That's the Deeping Wall, the wall around Helm's Deep.

I'm sure a Tolkein scholar will be along shortly to tell us that Helm's Deep and Market Deeping share an etymological root in Old English.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Umm - it's a little faint - could someone help me read what that watermark says? Anyone?

1. Allan George Dyer
      Coat

a little heat might help

thrown your monitor into a roaring fire.

12. Francis Boyle Silver badge
    Coat

Surely

LOTR should remain Legoless.

Sorry, but it had to be said.

This topic is closed for new posts.