back to article Apple tops Google in 'Reputation Quotient' survey

Apple may be facing brickbats for the working conditions at its Asian contract manufacturers, but a new survey puts Cook & Co. at the top of all US corporations in overall reputation, including perceived leadership in Workplace Environment. According to Harris Interactive's Reputation Quotient (RQ) Survey – which polled over …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. banjomike
    WTF?

Geez...

doesn't say much for industry in general if a bunch of control freaks and bully-boys are th best there is.

1. Shannon Jacobs
      Holmes

At least Google and Apple didn't write the rules of the game

The corruption in American business is the natural outcome of the way the system works in America. Most businesspeople are fine and upstanding citizens, and they just want to follow the rules. Unfortunately the rules of the game are encoded into laws by the most easily corrupted politicians owned by the LEAST ethical businessmen. The greedy bastards want a 'success' model of cancerous growth, and basically your company is required to become more and more evil if you want to survive in America. Let your stock price slump and the vulture capitalists (like Romney) will cut you to pieces or you'll get bought out by your greedier competitor (as happened to Sun).

In conclusion, ALL of the big American companies are evil, but I think that most of the blame is on the oil companies and the banks. America is now a government of the corporations, by the lawyers, for the richest 0.1%.

1. Shannon Jacobs
        Holmes

Oh yeah, about the article

I forgot to mention that the multidimensional survey approach seems pretty good, though I think that some of the dimensions should receive lower weight. In other words, too many of the dimensions were just variations on perceived reputation, whereas several dimensions were tapping into significantly different areas.

2. Stephen 10

So this proves?

As far as I can tell this means that their advertising blitz is working, mixed with continuous free PR from the general media. It's a fact free, emotion rating. Nice for Apple and its investors but irrelevant otherwise. Still, nice job bigging up Harris Interactive and their meaningless metric.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Google aren't your friend any more than apple is

It means that Google have been rumbled on…

Intentional Patent infringement

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/06/google_fighting_to_suppress_evidence_android_willfully_infringed_upon_oracles_java.html

anticompetitive agression

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/09/technology/09google.html?pagewanted=all

Selling out Net neutrality

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/08/google-verizon-netneutrality

and screwing search results

http://pandodaily.com/2012/01/24/larry-page-to-googlers-if-you-dont-get-spyw-work-somewhere-else/

1. Craigness
        FAIL

Anonytard Fails

You seem to be assuming that a negative comment on apple equates to support of google, even though google is not mentioned. If you were able to defend apple with facts about apple you probably would have done.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Annonytard - I like it!

I gotta say that's the first time I've read that word and I like it

He does make some points that go back a bit and are often forgotten. Google is however mentioned in the title of the article.

Pro apple doesn't equal anti google you are quite right.

3. Tom 35

Who paid for this?

Kraft, makers of plastic cheese and "edible oil products" is in the top 5?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pay? Why?

It's a US survey, most Americans love (and crave) processed fat and sugar products.

You haven't noticed yet?

ps - Kraft also own Cadbury's now. I'm sure you'd find lots of people in the UK ranking Cadbury's quite high.

1. Comments are attributed to your handle
        Megaphone

American here

Kraft sucks.

2. Dana W
        Unhappy

I hate them, but try to find anything else to eat. If you are poor it all has sugar and fat. Try to get something not full of federally subsidized corn syrup. Its in everything. Under a certain income its starch and sugar or you don't eat.

The doctors suggest a diet that nobody I know can afford. What can you do?

1. Charles Manning
          Mushroom

What can you do?

The absolute cheapest food is to grow your own or make your own from scratch. Even if you don't have a garden, you can still raise sprouts or such which cost less than bugger all.

A bag of rice and legumes + an onion or two is cheaper than a tub of processed muck and is way more edible and will feed a family for days.

Stop being a bloody victim and take some control of your life!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

processed muck

Gotta agree there. Even though I've occasionally put a tablespoon or so of Philly cheese into some dishes, every single one of the recipes they put on tv ads looks absolutely disgusting. I think I'll switch to cottage cheese or quark, natural yoghurt, coconut milk or plain old cream instead from now on.

I do pity the poor Merkins, though.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Dana

> The doctors suggest a diet that nobody I know can afford. What can you do?

First thing is to know how to cook from scratch. Soups are very filling, nutritious and cheap. Also very easy to do, you don't need buy them pre-made.

Getting a big freezer and joining Costco also helps if you have 2 or more sharing. Cheap meat and fruit ahoy!

3. Shannon Jacobs
          Holmes

Just so. Freedom is really about meaningful choice

That's one of the side effects of the cancerous growth model. Bigger companies buy out the competitors and eliminate your choices. Once they control the market sufficiently strongly, they can even take the monopoly profits while crushing anyone who tries to enter the market.

Why not a model of encouraged reproduction? Once a company gets too large, the taxes increase until it's to their advantage to divide into two competing companies--and now we would have two REAL choices and MORE freedom.

3. Tom 35

ps - Kraft also own Cadbury's now.

They are quite well liked in Canada too. When Kraft bought them the response I ran into most was along the lines of "oh crap". I expect Kraft is already looking for corners to cut and before long Cadbury will be just as crap as their "processed cheese food".

4. Charles Manning

Ratings mean nothing

Just look at the numbers.

When there is a statistically insignificant difference, then the ratings are meaningless.

The top 5 for emotional appeal are only separated by 1.6% - hardly enough to really pick one from another especially considering that the questions needed to cover such disparate industries as food, online selling and Apple are hardly going to be balanced.

5. JC 2
    Childcatcher

Survey says

... a helluva lot of sheeple polled watch too much TV

6. Eddy Ito
    Meh

Looks pretty clear

The companies that are seen as helping the economy are rated high and those seen as having their finger on the flusher are on the bottom of the list. How shocking, the good economy supporting companies are on the top and the evil bankers on the bottom. One point I caught is BP's media blitz must be working given how far their reputation has come up... granted it's still circling the drain but it seems to be clawing its way out of the sewer quite nicely.

7. beep54

Gitcher cheap stuff here!!!! We gots it all right here!!!!

'According to Harris Interactive's Reputation Quotient (RQ) Survey – which polled over 17,000 "members of the US general public" '

Think we can pretty well assume that none of the workers at Foxcomm were asked for their input, only a whole bunch of us idiot Mericans, most of whom would be tickled to death to have some Soylent Green in their diet. It's cheap, y'know?

8. g e

Table missing...

'Which company are you sickest of hearing about?'

Yeah, they'd top that one, too.

9. Dan 55 Silver badge

17,000 "members of the US general public"

And how many polled work in Apple, Google, Amazon, etc...?

I press buttons for a living and I'm the first to admit I don't know what goes on inside Jobs' mausoleum or in the bowels of the Chocolate Factory.

10. Brezhnev's Shadow
    Go

splendid

They'll be jumping for joy at this news!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like