Last game I played was Wumpus ...

This topic was created by jake .

1. jake Silver badge

Last game I played was Wumpus ...

I honestly see no value to computer-based gaming.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Last game I played was Wumpus ...

I remember hunting a wumpus

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Re: Last game I played was Wumpus ...

If you're running a proper Linux distro, for a blast from the past try typing "wump" at a shell prompt.

"You're in a cave with 20 rooms and 3 tunnels leading from each room. There are 3 bats and 3 pits scattered throughout the cave, and your quiver holds 5 custom super anti-evil Wumpus arrows. Good luck."

"man wump" for more. Likewise, "man trek". I run Slackware, I have no idea if any of the fanboi distros include the old BSD games ... Try "xman&" > Manual Page > Section (6) ... For the record, my nieces & nephews ::yawn:: at graphical games, but are fascinated by the old text-based games. Try 'em on your kids, you might be surprised ;-)

1. saundby

Re: Last game I played was Wumpus ...

I took an old Osborne 1 into the classroom earlier the school year and got all my students hooked on Zork.

This last week I started them playing a diku/merc derived MUD. In between they've been writing text games in Python.

Ages 11-13. Text games FTW. :)

2. Richard Wharram

My last game involved a biscuit I think

My memory is cloudy though.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pro Evolution versus Fifa

Only one winner in my mind, PES. I just find that Fifa feels like your playing with a marketing department, all gloss and veneer.

4. adnim

different strokes

Ubuntu:

The program 'wump' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:

sudo apt-get install bsdgames

Windows:

'wump' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

My missus:

What?

It's Sunday 7:09 pm.... I need to get a life!

5. jake Silver badge

Why did this thread just indicate a new comment, but with no new comment?

Has been happening a lot recently in the "user generated forums".

Posting a link to this in the bugr ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why did this thread just indicate a new comment, but with no new comment?

We'll check it out.

1. jake Silver badge

Again, six months later. Same thing.

Several more in my posting history this evening. I can't see the back-end (and will not try to eyeball it for myself, at least not without permission), but there is an obvious bug.

1. Corinne

I've had that a couple of times, a new "latest post" date for a particular forum at the top level forum page but no new post in that forum. However quite often if I go back to the top level forum page & refresh, it no longer tells me there's a new post so I tend to assume my mind was playing tricks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon