back to article Secondhand MP3 shop can keep trading during EMI trial

Redigi has escaped a court injunction that would have prevented it trading throughout the duration of a court battle over alleged copyright infringement. EMI, one of the world's biggest record companies, has sued Redigi, alleging that the business is infringing its copyrights. Redigi sells legally-downloaded digital music …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprise here, but I do hope the UK soon improves rights for us consumers!

Whether that should include sale of legally owned MP3's? I don't know, but there seems to me there is no reason they shouldn't.

I think copying/streaming & format shifting (i.e. changing from WMV to AVI/MP4 etc..) of legally obtained media for personal use should be enshrined in law to protect those of us who use current technology to the full and those in the future that won't even realize they are violating copyrights.

There are many of us who would purchase online often if it didn't restrict where we can play what we purchased, I for one only buy non-DRM music online.

I am sure I would spend a couple of hundred sterling more each year on film/tv/music if I could get DRM free copies of everything I wanted..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

I really hope they win.

This is no different in selling a DVD or a CD. Yes, there is nothing to stop the person making a copy prior to selling it but at that point the onus is on that individual.

1. pear

Usually nothing to stop someone copying a CD anyway. Although you are often selling the booklet etc with it.

Will leave it for the courts to decide the legality of it all though.

2. Andrew Waite
      Stop

Same as physical media

Nothing stopping you from ripping the physical CD before selling it on either. Just because an illegal action is *possible* doesn't mean that a legal use of the same action should be made illegal also.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This power grab for digital media is out of control.

The music industry wont be happy until they can charge you for playing your music within ear shot of your family.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Playing music within earshot of people?

They're already on the case with that. Just google the antics of the PRS who extort money from businesses for having the radio on.

1. Mystic Megabyte

The pub I ran for a few years regularly received threatening letters from the PRS. Looking at their web-site gave no indication of the cost for a small rural pub. Rather than open a hornets nest by replying , I just ignored them. We only had live musicians playing non-copyright traditional tunes. Honestly :j

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. MonkeyBot

Not just the radio...

A friend who used to work at PRS told me that they made a landlord buy a licence because he put the football on in the pub and the adverts/theme/music in the stadium could be heard by the customers.

They'll also get money from Sky and football clubs for the same thing so they're charging multiple times for the same licence.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Mr C Hill

I am fully aware of the music industry tactics with respect to what they define as public performance.

That is why I wrote "playing your music within ear shot of your family".

So not only are you preaching to the choir but you deliberately misquoted me in order to appear superior.

4. Mectron

so?

So company are complaining that digital files are the same as physical media..... yet, when they are treated EXCACLY LIKEphysical media they sue. the case should be instantly dismissed, EMI fined for abuse fo the justice system and for to pay the LEGIT secoind hand MP3 company a couple of BILLIONS in punitive dammage.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Same with software

You can't resell your old software licenses http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/23/ecj_asked_to_rule_on_resale_of_software_licences/

Interesting how far this extends.

Can you sell your car if you only licensed the software in the engine management system?

Can you sell your house if your don't own the copyright to the design?

6. fred base

The same applies to ebooks.

The sooner people realize that big media is on a mission to wipe out the second hand market, the better.

If the resale value of an electronic product is zero, why would anyone in their right mind pay close to the same price as the physical version?

BOYCOTT DRM'd PRODUCTS.

7. Purlieu

why would anyone in their right mind pay close to the same price as the physical version

You need to ask all those who made the Steve Jobs biography sell more on Kindle than on physical last year, and the Kindle version cost MORE THAN THE HARDBACK

8. Graham Wilson
    Flame

Same as a secondhand record shop.

Secondhand record shops have been around just about forever, so what's the difference?

Answer:

Secondhand record shops have always been allowed, here the record company sleazebags are trying to double-dip again.

These buggers will try anything.

This topic is closed for new posts.