back to article Halliburton latest biz to dump BlackBerry for iPhone

Citing better application support, oilfield services giant Halliburton will be handing out iPhones in future - despite RIM's claims that its app developers have never had it so good. Halliburton is the latest in a long line of companies shifting away from the former default choice of RIM's BlackBerry infrastructure. For …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

During the meanwhile ...

I still carry an eleven year old Nokia 5185.

Sometimes a telephone is just a telephone ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My 6YO palm died a few months back and I got the latest and greatest Verizon had to offer. NEW phone drops more calls in a day than the Palm dropped during its 6 years of use.

New pretty shiny thing cannot be used outside even if you shade the screen. Nice for checking email and browsing but those uses are secondary. Wish it could be a good phone first.

2. Armando 123

Wow

When a company as straight-and-narrow and by-the-book as Halliburton drops RIM, the writing's on the ... touchscreen, I guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Wow

That's a joke, right? It must be, you cannot possibly think a decision by hellabortion has any technical merit whatever.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You're new here aren't you ?

1. bazza Silver badge

Or maybe...

...An old timer pulling a double bluff.

I think we should be told.

2. Armando 123

@AC@15:38

Actually, I'm serious and you've exactly made my point. Halliburton is a very button-down, all business, run by Bean Counters organization. They are not a technically advanced group, at least for things such as this. Their going from BB to iPhone is the equivalent of Ford going from Word to Google Docs. They don't make that change unless they have serious issues with the state of the BB or don't think RIM is going to be around much longer.

1. earlyjester

This was not made technically or based on anything more than one of the execs wives/children/friend at the pub had an iphone and said it was great and apple just worked.

3. Andy 97
    Thumb Down

Which company's PR department is running this campaign on RIM?

Devalue the company, buy the shares cheaply and then grab the patents.

It all seems too easy.....

4. Gil Grissum

Who stands to gain from a RIM purchase? Microsoft or Google?

5. Daniel B.

I could think of a lot of 'em:

- Porting BES to Linux, decouple it from the M$ stuff.

- Support other platforms besides LN/Domino and Exchange. Good is pwning 'em hard because of that!

- Fix the damn BB OS and put out decent specs on the damn things! The #1 cause of BB user rage is the clock o' death caused by shared mem going to 0. I'd expect RIM to just slap on 2G shared mem and call it a day but nooooo...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"BlackBerry users are downloading 30 apps a year"

WOAH...(That's English for stop a horse)...Those crazy Blackberry users are making my nose bleed with the sheer volume of apps they are downloading.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Remember that's in total - for ALL Blackberry users

7. Revolutn

On Topic

I will admit surprise that a co. such as Halliburton, would make this move, as the iOS platform is a lot less secure from what I've seen than say a BB device + BBES server for comms.

Or am I blinded by FUD?

1. Gordon 10

Google Good. PIM apps running inside an encrypted container.

1. quarky
        Facepalm

or "Bad"

Google "Good", or "Bad" as our users call it if you want to see what an imploded RIM would look like. Good used to make hardware (like RIM years ago), obviously didn't find they could compete so went for a software only model.

A model which is horrendously bad. Want to know if you have any emails on a BB? Look at the notification icon. Want to do the same on a Good app? Unlock your phone, open the "Good" app, wait for it to connect and update (20 seconds later), and if there are any new emails, you will see them. No signal? Tough.

I won't go into all the other issues our users have with duplicate appointments, the app just stopping working, etc. Lets just say our users HATE it. And I don't blame them.

Oh, don't mention the UI either. Christ, whoever designed it managed to screw it up so badly that I can only assume they were either blind, or did it on purpose.

Only the insane, or masochistic would use it rather than a BB or the native iOS email client.

2. cmaurand
      Linux

You're blinded by FUD. The iPhone will sync up with exchange by ActiveSync over https. it's as secure as you will get at the moment. It also makes it so that your phone doesn't actually have to talk to RIM and Haliburton has better control over it's email. Even better is that it doesn't have to worry about the Indian government.

8. Ed 11

Good

Think they get around any lack of security in iOS by only allowing explicit access to the corporate network through an application such as 'Good'. This does mean the iOS email and calendar apps are pointless from a work perspective, and you can't access the intranet through Safari, but there are replacements for all these within the 'Good' app itself which stores data locally in an encrypted volume and only runs on devices that are not jail broken.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

backend mail server

So are these people just having POP / IMAP accounts or plugging into exchange? Im sure that the iphone is not really an enterprise mobile more a domestic play thing.

AC as im bound to be flamed so I need a good mask

1. Gordon 10

They will be the good app calling the good server calling exchange.

10. GitMeMyShootinIrons
    Pint

RIM can calm down....

...After all, as the UK unrest last year confirmed, they are the phone of choice for rioters and thieves, while still being used by other undesirables such as bankers, lawyers, civil servants....

Work done. Need beer.

1. Armando 123
      Devil

Yeah but

Do those people BUY anythng, or do they just steal what's sitting around because others don't want to buy it?

11. bazza Silver badge

interesting business choice

Satisfying a bunch of corporate users who want bling phones isn't necessarily good for business. RIM did have their little woopsie last year. But Apple are quite rubbish at software reliability, generally break at least one thing with every update and, as we've seen iOS 5, prone to making significant and unannounced API changes. Not exactly a good thing on which to bet business critical apps and functions.

Of course, Apple have managed to persuade people that they don't need things like battery life, good antenna performance and the ability to make phone calls reliably when moving. That's good PR but not good for end users. Apple may also succeed in convincing people and their businessess that they don't need reliable software or online/cloud services either. And that may indeed be fine, right up until your business is killed as a result of a really big cock up. Do you trust Apple not to have one of those?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No pressure...

Absolutely no pressure from company execs to hand out the latest consumer fad as an alternative to legitimate work tools.

Nope. None.

Full business case written up and approved so it must be true. Nothing to see here.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bring out yer dead! - customers

"That claim came out at BlackBerry DevCon, where RIM's VP for developer relations told the assembled crowd that BlackBerry users are downloading 30 apps a year..."

that is all up combined that is! not individualy!

14. Gis Bun
    Devil

Ya. Right.

Everybody's favorite security tyrants switching over to a less secure OS. Face it - some VP at that dump wanted to have that app that measures decibel sounds on his Blacberry but was unavailable. Or maybe they were sending their goons into some foreign land where that government made a deal to spy on anyone using Blackberries.

15. pditty

Halliburton iPhone accounts hacked by Anonymous in 3...2....

Halliburton iPhone accounts hacked by Anonymous in 3...2....

16. c4m1k4z3
    Thumb Down

I do find it hard to believe

I've had a work blackberry for 2 years now - I have downloaded maybe 10 apps? Not because I can't be bothered - but just because there are so few, and the majority are terrible

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Halliburton is the latest in a long line of companies...." to be mislead into believing that the iPhone would give them some status. Of course the reality is eveyone else whill see them as backwards and behind the times by 6 years!

W O W!

18. Sceptic Tank Silver badge

Drink the cool-aid.

Where's Webster Phreaky?

19. Hooksie
    Pirate

Not sure where you guys are coming from....

Having used a work's BlackBerry and personally having an iPhone (3, 3Gs and 4) and HTC (Desire HD and Sensation) my own personal preference is the HTC. But I've seen the writing on the wall for BB for quite some time. The BB handhelds just aren't good enough. They haven't kept up, their first itteration of touchscreen was TERRIBLE and the screen sizes are just not any use in comparison.

Someone earlier mentioned about shiny shiny and for a large part that's true; the decisions are made up top and on a golf course when some random exec sees his mate's new iPhone and gets told that you can use it for Enterprise now. I don't like the iPhone personally but given a choice between that and the BB it would be the Cupertino Kid every time.

And all that BS earlier about not being able to tell you have an email on Google btw, WHAT ARE YOU DRIBBLING ABOUT?? If you have a BB with no wireless access, guess what, you don't get email on that either. Remember you can choose between push or pull email.

I said at the start of this year that RIM would be dead by December and I stand by that prediction.

20. Lance 3

The reason is quite "simple" as to why Halliburton switched. After a long internal investigation, they concluded that Halliburton employees were spending hour after hour on their BlackBerries trying to find hundreds of thousands of useless apps; like the fart app. This caused the Deep Horizon rig explosion, so Halliburton has decided to make it easier for their employees to find those useless apps and allow them to get back to work quicker. So they moved to the iPhone.

This topic is closed for new posts.