back to article Huawei's Ascend P1 headed to China in March

Chinese electronics giant Huawei could be set to launch its P1 as early as next month, according to reports. Huawei senior vice president Yu Chengdong took to Twitter-like service Sina Weibo to reveal that the first devices could be on sale in China by the end of March, according to Tech Sina (Chinese) – although the exec …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mondo the Magnificent
    Facepalm

Ho hum...

And once again ElReg throw the iPhone Killer quote into the gossip: ... "The Chinese giant’s iPhone-killer made quite a stir at CES..."

So another Chinese made iPhone killer? Not an HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy killer which would be more appropriate seeing as it's an Android phone...

2. amanfromearth

More of the same.

Another day ... another Android

Yawn.

1. amanfromearth

thanks for the thumbs down

.. but actually it's a valid point.

Another android handset with Apple Crumble or whatever it's called == the same as any other Android.

At least when our fruity overlords bring out a new product it has different features than the prior incarnation.

1. Big_Ted
        Linux

Oh yeh right.......

ipad to ipad 2

new features includes crappy camera and your grateful.

to me new features mean more than doing what others already have but with cheaper parts.

Apples biggest problem is that they only release a new version about once a year where android phones with so many manufacturers trying to outdo each other will always be ahead on quality of parts.

If I am going to part with several hundred pounds I want the latest and best components not last years tech rehashed.

2. cocknee
        Facepalm

you what?

"At least when our fruity overlords bring out a new product it has different features than the prior incarnation."

Hate to point out the bleeding obvious but all the different incarnations of Android phones are very different in hardware terms and some applications. Only the OS is similar.

Whereas when "fruity" overlords release a new product, it often looks almost identical to the last one (eg 3,3G, 3GS & 4 and4$) - minor tweaks and two models before a large change - every 2 years. You really fall for the hype!

Also the (i)OS is the same across all modern models and iPods and iPads....

So what's your point again??????????

Anyway, I'm holding on to the driftwood that is Symbian from RMS Nokia after the Elop Iceberg.

Does me fine until I'm rescued by something better! (or freeze to death) and it aint Windoze!

3. Shagbag

Killer iPhone

No doubt the Patent Troll will soon be going after Huawei.

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

Thinner != better

6mm might still be OK, but I would start to worry at some point that the thing would break, and given where I carry my phone, that would leave gorilla-glass shards in my groinal area.

The eyes water at the thought

Coat, for that is where I should keep an overly thin phone.

1. ChrisC Silver badge

Agree == Yes

Quite, I really don't understand the constant desire to minimise the size of things that are intended for use by the human hand. I mean, yeah, sure, a thinner phone is going to appeal to all those hip and trendy types who wear clothing so tight they can barely slip a credit card into their pocket without great difficulty, and for whom the current crop of not exactly heffalump-sized phones are simply far too chunky dahlink.

But once you've prised that oh so slender sliver of telecommunications wonderment out of your pocket, you realise that, being so thin, it's really not all that comfortable to hold, and by reducing the internal volume of the casing by 30-50% compared with the current breed of slim and trim phones, you've just thrown away a nice big chunk of space that could be filled with extra battery capacity.

My Desire S is about twice as thick as the Ascend, and for my average-sized man-hands, I'd say that's about as thin as I'd want to go in a phone - thin enough to fit easily into a trouser or shirt pocket, but chunky enough to give a reasonable amount of surface area on the sides for my fingertips to grasp it securely.

2. borkbork

agree

Make it 3mm thicker and fill the space with battery.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like