back to article Some coral reefs growing in a warming world

While Austraia’s iconic Great Barrier Reef has been suffering bleaching and damage, the combined impact of warmer oceans agricultural runoff, a few thousand kilometers to the west, coral growth seems to be enjoying the changing climate. The research, published on February 3 in Nature, shows that the Porites coral – so stressed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon 10

One of the global warming poster children

This finally draws attention to one of the great GW confusions - when oceans get warmer the coral & reefs move - old ones die, new ones thrive. Instead of thinking of thinking of things as absolutes we need to remember its never clear cut and everything is a system in flux.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only to a point.

Coral needs a certain amount of sunlight. The further you move away from the tropics the less sunlight is available. Therefore there is a limit to how far away from the tropics that coral can survive, no matter what the water temperature.

It is possible to imagine sea temperatures rising high enough that coral couldn't survive anywhere with enough sunlight, which would mean no coral anywhere ever again.

2. Graham Wilson
    Flame

'Tis funny how environmental science is often contradicting itself.

Seems to me the Environmental Movement needs less Green Religion, more facts and open minds.

3. NomNomNom

Does anyone else understand the first two comments? Are they even reading the same article as I am? I also read the linked source too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like