back to article Portland Jedi jailed for lightsabre rampage

The Portland man who defeated a police Taser with a Jedi lightsabre has been jailed for 45 days. Police mugshot of David Canterbury David A. Canterbury, pictured, was cuffed back in December after he went on the rampage at a Toys R Us outlet, assaulting customers with the Star Wars toy weapon before confronting cops outside …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

WHERE DO

I get a light sabre just like the one he used?

The Force Be With You

1. jake Silver badge

@LarsG

You can get one just like it at Toys R Us, apparently.

2. SW
    Joke

Pun or wishful thinking

The Orgeonian...!!!

3. ericduffy
    Thumb Up

The force is strong with this one...

FTA: "Officers tried to use a Taser to subdue him, but Canterbury successfully deflected one of the wires away."

4. Rob Moss.
    Thumb Up

is that

Russell Crowe?

5. John Bailey
    Coat

Well.. When you try to use the force on the force, they are going to use force..

Now he is up sith creek without a padawan.

Ok I'm done.

6. Sir Barry

Whoo ooo oo ooo can you feel the force?

It's the Real Thing...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Han to Han combat with the force is not wise if you're Solo.

8. kain preacher

He is lucky they didn't kill him. Mental illness and cops don't mix .

1. jake Silver badge

@ kain preacher

So in your mind, the general population & mental illness should coexist?

I disagree. Strongly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@jake

Aww thanks, it makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside that I and others with mental health problems shouldn't be allowed to mix with normal people.

1. jake Silver badge

@AC 09:10

Are you really so far out in left field that you truly believe that your personal mental health issues outweigh the needs of society as a whole?

There's a word for that ...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@jake

Nah, I just believe that a blanket statement saying that people with mental health problems shouldn't mix with the general population are the words of someone who is a bit of a smeghead. Especially when you consider that there are far more people (as far as I'm aware) with mental health problems who manage to hold down a job, pay their taxes, contribute to society and generally try to keep it together from day to day than those who have mental health problems and commit crimes.

So please enlighten me as to exactly why I and others shouldn't be able to live in the society that you live in. Why shouldn't we be able to work or interact with the general population just because we have sometimes severe and sometimes not so severe mental problems that we would quite happily live without but have been dealing with and will have to deal with for our entire lives?

I am honestly curious by the way, I do know there are people out there who think it is a communicable disease or that we are all on a hair trigger about to explode with rage and violence. Which makes me sad because I've personally yet to meet another person with mental health problems who is actively violent towards others, though I know there are quite likely a few in secure facilities who are like that and perhaps can't help their behaviour.

1. jake Silver badge
              Pint

@AC 12:04

I'm sorry the trick cyclists have managed to convince you that you are somehow "different". I guess they have to earn a living the same as the rest of us.

But guess what? We ALL have those problems, to one degree or another. Every single person who holds down a job, pays their taxes, contributes to society and etc. ALL of us. It's what makes us human.

It's the folks who don't recognize this reality who become (part of) the problem. THEY are the folks I (personally) consider to have "mental health issues". Everybody else is within one of the bell-shaped graphs depicting the bounds of "normal".

Including you. Welcome to humanity, friend. This round's on me :-)

(Beer, wine, tea, coffee, water, whatever, as suits your disposition).

2. kain preacher

Jake were in my statement did I say that ? How can you even think that's what I meant? What said is cops and mental illness do not mix well. The end results winds up bad for the person . Cops are not trained to deal with people who have mental illness . Often times when a mentally ill person does not respond to what the cops tell them to do , they don't think gee it's not there fault. Lets try some thing different . No you don't comply we will use force. Don't understand whats going and struggles we will use more force .I've seen it with my own two eyes. This guy was off and when the cop told him to come here he did not. The guy kept on arguing with him self . The cop tasred him .

I stand by my statement. Please do tell me how you read that I said people with mental illness should not be in public ?

1. jake Silver badge

@kain preacher

If you are an adult incapable of understanding that when a cop says "sit down against that wall, keep your hands in sight, and wait for us to sort this out" means EXACTLY what the cop says, you are already a danger to yourself and others ... and possibly should be locked up, for your own safety, to say nothing of mine.

If your "example guy" was that far out of whack, why was he out in public, sans chaperon? It's hardly the cop's fault, now is it? Their job is to protect the *rest* of the general public, not the anomalies. You remind me of the idiot in Oakland the other day, griping about a police shooting. They pulled over a known drug dealer, the dealer pulled a gun, and the cops shot him. The interviewee's comment was "Why did they have to kill him? He was only trying to earn a living!". The mind boggles ...

(Note that here at the ranch we have regular camps for autistic, AS, and ADD kids ... Working with the critters helps "center" them in a way that is a joy to watch).

9. kain preacher

If your "example guy" was that far out of whack, why was he out in public, sans chaperon?

Because California does not have the money to house people like him or to help people like him out .

"They pulled over a known drug dealer, the dealer pulled a gun, and the cops shot him. The interviewee's comment was "Why did they have to kill him? He was only trying to earn a living!". The mind boggles ..."

Not even close. If you are not ape shit insane and pull on cop you deserve to die . I'm not one pf those folks that thinks cops should shoot some in the leg and arm. Most folks who work with the mental ill share my views on cop.

Jake if you live in California you should know that it's extremely hard for people to get help fro mt he state for mental illness.Often times it's not till the person is arrested before the state even looks at them . You have an easier time getting welfare an food stamps then getting help for mental illness if you do not have private insurance .

10. jake Silver badge

@kain preacher

"Because California does not have the money to house people like him or to help people like him out ."

Wrong. Fact is that California has the money, makes all the right noises, but doesn't follow through. I weep.

11. kain preacher

Well let me rephrase . California does have the money but choose not to fund mental health services like they should . Recently they have cut even more money. It started when guvnor Regan closed down state run mental facilities .

This topic is closed for new posts.