back to article 100 MEEELLION .com domains now registered

There are now over 100 million .com domain names on the internet. The milestone was passed in either October or January, depending on how you measure "registered" domains. But whichever way you cut it, .com is now into nine figures. VeriSign, which runs .com, revealed yesterday in is monthly report with industry overseer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

And at least 10 of them are useful.

And at least 10 of them are useful.

The rest of them are "holding pages", randomly generated spam-sources, or companies grabbing everything related to their business "just-in-case" and then redirecting them all to the same place.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DNS root = crime central

New GTLDs are fine if they serve a purpose. However the entire global DNS hierarchy has since ICANN was established deteriorated into a moneymaking scheme for a select few, and serve as a catalyst for all kinds of network abuse. I think it is a lost cause and the situation will not get any better until the root is replaced with something governed by strict rules. The fact that nobody is willing to address the problems and abuse related to free temporary registrations really says it all.

3. Craig 12

Sorry, a fair few of those are mine that I thought would make great sites. Well, they would, but I can't be arsed to make them anymore.

4. FunkyEric

Well that's a nice little earner for somebody.....

isn't it?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

100 million? That's not even every domain name up to a 6-letter combination (and I didn't include dashes and numbers in there).

Plenty of room left.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I remember when all the possible three-letter acronym TLAs were taken in the .com TLD (fairly quickly), not too long after that someone claimed that every English word had been registered as a .com. Their suggestion was that registering iambic pentameter domain names would be the next cool thing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like