back to article iPhones yanked from German shelves in Motorola patent war

Apple has removed the iPhone 4 and 3Gs from its stores in Germany, almost certainly in response to Motorola's December action rather than today's patent win. But today's German court victory for Motorola is probably more important: it covers Apple's iCloud service and – by extension – any device which uses it. Apple will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

unintended side effect

people will simply buy iPhone 4s instead of the iPhone 3G or 4. Can this be even remotely considered a victory?

1. Rob
      Go

Probably...

... but that's not really what this fight is about, it's more about showing your feathers and seeing who can piss the highest and in this instance Apple lost.

This fight should get more interesting now that both sides have drawn blood.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

SHAKE HANDS

And make up for goodness sake.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good lad, missed the point completely!

2. Darryl

OK, now both sides have 'won' a round or two... Can they all just get back to making new innovative products and competing in the market instead of the courts now?

1. 142

we'll still be hearing about this in 20, or even 30 years time...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

People will simply give up on Apple and buy an Android handset instead. What a fantasic victory for Android.

If you live by the sword you should prepare to die by the sword. Hahahahahahahahaha!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...then you woke up.

2. Timmay
      FAIL

@Colin Camper

Oh sweet Jesus, I'm an Android fanbois through and through (though previously owned original iPhone and 3G), and your comment even makes me cringe with it's stupidity.

I have to stop reading it - I'm embarrassed for you.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

You do realise it only effects the online store don't you?

4. DJ 2
    Devil

I have a blackberry, and an Ipad2 . the blackberry has Push emails. The Ipad, no matter how you configure the damn thing, only gets emails when you access something that uses Icloud, (Calendar, contacts etc). I don't call that push mail, are Apple letting Samsung run with the bait?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Someone doesn't know about Google Sync...

Here you go: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=14252&answer=138740

5. dotdavid
    Coat

So...

...how do you like dem apples, Apple? ;-)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, but at least it's no sillier than these stupid patent battles.

6. g e
    Joke

Cupertino has been a good deal more chatty lately

Any friend is more than no friends.

Even if it's El Reg ;o)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice one Germany! I believe I'm experiencing Apfelschadenfreude :D

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not over yet

Apple can appeal and they will...

1. MrWibble

correct...

Didn't take long to be overturned!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

I wonder if...

Google are pulling Motorola's strings?

1. BRYN

Google are Motorola Mobile

Not Motorola

The company split. In order to try break even. But you may be right Motorola Mobile may be dancing to Google's tune....

10. Michael Habel
    Linux

Boohoohooo

This couldn't have happened to a nicer company FLIP CRAPLE!!

Hopefully the German Courts will tell Craple to go forth and multiply soon enough too.

Android FTFW!

1. dogged
      WTF?

Dude, what the hell is wrong with you?

It's not football teams. You're not helping anyone. "Android FTW"? Are you 12?

I would like Apple to cease their anticompetitive legal practices. I would like to see more products competing in the smartphone arena in order to produce better value for consumers. That doesn't make some kind of Holy War or spectator sport, you knob.

1. Lockwood

" That doesn't make some kind of Holy War or spectator sport"

I'd happily kick back and watch the fireworks with a tub of popcorn.

2. Silverburn
      Mushroom

@ mike

Mike - you and Barry Shitpeas should get together. The sheer concentration of mouth-frothing vitriol could reach critical mass, which would be amusing viewing.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're back

According to this on all things D Apple are restoring the products

http://allthingsd.com/20120203/apple-all-ipad-and-iphone-models-will-be-back-on-sale-online-in-germany-shortly/

12. Velv
    Facepalm

Mutually Assured Destruction

And people wonder where Merkin lawyers get the money to pay for Presidential candidates...s

13. Grease Monkey Silver badge

He who lives and all that. Trouble is that they've taken a kicking from Motorola/Google and they previously took a kicking trying to give Samsung a kicking.

How long is it going to be before either the patent system gets revised or the big tech companies call some sort of truce. This stuff really isn't doing any of them any good.

14. The BigYin

For the love of god

Get all the patents in a pile;

Add kerosene;

Set the pile ablaze;

Once the smoke clears, get on without all the bullshit.

1. Duncan Macdonald

Add the lawyers

Put all the Lawyers on top of the pile first

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

Remember to make their families watch.......

15. TonyHoyle

"I'd happily kick back and watch the fireworks with a tub of popcorn."

And deckchairs. Musn't forget the deckchairs.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ban is already suspended:

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-sales-injunction-suspended-german-ipadiphone-sales-resume-03211975/

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Apple seem to have a unique interpretation of the patent system. They seem to think that because a patent exists the patent owner is forced to license it to all comers. This is not the case nor has it ever been the case. Apple's argument gets even stranger when they say that since Motorola unilaterally declared the patent to be an industry standard that somehow means Apple are forced to use it.

It seems that in this Apple's argument is that if somebody else develops something clever that Apple wants to used then they must be forced to license that patent to Apple on terms that suit Apple. Which is strange because they also seem to argue frequently that if Apple develops something clever (or indeed stupid) that anybody else wants to use (even if they had it before Apple) then Apple have the right to stop them from using it. Seems Apple thinks that patents are a one way street that runs straight to Cupertino.

I thought maybe when bonkers Jobs popped his clogs Apple would stop talking so much shite. It seems however that they are talking more shite than ever.

I suspect that it will be only a few days before Motorola gets this decision reversed.

1. Silverburn
        Boffin

@ Grease Monkey

They *are* entitled to think a patent is forced to be licenced, *if* that patent comes under FRAND. Also, if that patented tech becomes part of an industry 'standard' (eg 3G) - however that's defined - then yes, if they have adopt that standard to comply with 99.9% of a chosen market, they then have to pay the FRAND licence.

Where recent complexities come in is the interpretation of "fair and reasonable" rates under FRAND; Apple have been claiming it's unfair to be charged 2-3x the price of other licencee's for the same patent licence.

If this scenario was played out down the petrol station - if it was the only petrol station in town - and you were charged 2-3x the price for a litre than the next guy, you'd be pissed too.

Don't mistake my comments for fanboism btw.

17. JDX Gold badge

Bloody hell

It's like playing poker and betting $100m

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

$100m is just the ante.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like