back to article Apple iPhone 5 to debut at developer gig

Toss straw into wind, see where it blows. Ah, it's landed on the square marked 'Apple to unveil iPhone 5 in June'. That's what the Chinese-language paper Commercial Times is saying, quoting Japanese Securities, a local broker, but we'd say neither has cast-iron evidence for the claim. Apple traditionally unveiled new iPhones …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

don't see it happening

I'd like it to. My 24-month contract from when i got the iPhone4 will expire in June, so I'd be keen on upgrading to the iPhone 5 at an O2 assisted discount (rather than the full price I paid for the iPhone4)

But I don't see it myself.

They've no need to rush it out. They'll hold out until it's about a year since the 4S launch and then announce the 5. By that time the anticipation and the hype will be unbearable and we'll all be dying to queue around the block outside the Apple stores again

1. bluegrm

I asked O2 prior to the 4S launch if there'd be any discount for upgraders. They told me that they couldn't say until after the launch (had a 3gs for over 2 yrs on contract). After launch they said "no-one ever gives discounts for upgrades on iphones". So good luck. I was however able to get a cheaper, better deal over 2 years by buying the phone straight from apple and getting a sim-only dea - not from O2l. If you tot up the figures over the life of a 2 year contract yourself for all the mobile operators there's virtually no point in getting a carrier locked phone from them.. if you have the cash to spend outright on the phone in the first place.

2. mikeyboosh
    Stop

So are we going to have to put up with unfounded reports about its specification until then?

1. Lallabalalla
      Alert

Yes

Love the bit about " the iPhone 4S, a phone that, confounding critics, has proved more successful than its predecessor".

Let the "fanboi-bashing" begin....

3. It wasnt me
    Meh

I dunno

Its a difficult one fro apple. They must be tempted to delay and profit from the 4s. But if they delay its (almost certainly ready) successor they risk losing ground to the competition. Difficult call to make.

Shit and bugger, I just got dragged into pointless apple speculation. Arse. Im off to do something productive now, like put all my CDs in alphabetical order.

4. turnip handler

Hardware or services?

It's difficult, for me anyway, to image what hardware enhancements they could make for an iPhone 5 - a bit faster, a bit bigger, NFC, 4G tech. I would have thought that they would continue the focus on services and linking to the Apple infrastructure - amazing services using Apple TV perhaps...

So may prediction is amazing new services via the phone rather than an iPhone 5 in June.

1. Darryl

Sounds like you just described the iPhone 4GS ('cept maybe the bigger part)

Dammit, now I'm involved in it too

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slow News Day??

Must be to bother with such rubbish.

Even El Reg reported it as the nonsense it is, so why bother reporting at all?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow another iPhone

really? Wow. More crap that does pretty much what the last one did, with the exception of some staggered `feature` that they could have included in the last model but would rather milk it for every last drop and release it as a reason to buy essentially the same old crap again. Oh and some thinly veiled slightly unsettling piece of what is essentially advertising crap, masquerading as something cool and cutting edge (Siri).

Where do I sign up?! I currently have an iPhone 4, and TBH the next phone I get will be a Nokia for a tenner from Tesco. Smartphones are just.... (A pain in the arse, a gaping security hole in your life, expensive, desirable to thieves, showy, way too much hassle to just make a call on, etc etc... )

But yea, I can't tell you how much my c*ck tingles over the prospect of another redundant useless gadget.

7. Shao

Q3

I'd imagine that initial views would be that the iPhone 4S has plenty of steam yet to go especially with high demand from China. However, in reality, I'd imagine that Apple would have been the first to realise the 'up and coming third OS that is Microsoft and don't want to be sitting around.

Most likely they'll not say too much until close to launch as they don't want to put people off the 4S but they will launch and then discount older models as they've mentioned in the past to cover more segments of the market.

The constant lawsuits are suggesting that the mobile arena battle is heating up and it would be odd for Apple to go out of their way not to release a ready iPhone which would then become obsolete/superceded/lack awe by the time they do release it. The only reason for delays would be because it isn't ready.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn Yawn

Blah blah blah ... who cares..... more people to laught at queuing in the street overnight..... over hyped rubbish.... blah blah blah

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Local Broker?

Daiwa Securities is a Japanese company - they are local to China in the same way as France is local to England

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Local Broker?

Yes, that can do with more precision. Thanks for the catch.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like