back to article RIM restyles next-generation BlackBerry

Research in Motion's upcoming BlackBerry 10 handset, the London, has been been spotted ahead of release, this time with a different look from the last time it was said to have leaked out. When a handset, claimed to be RIM's next-gen smartphone and codenamed 'London', appeared in November 2011, it was seen to sport an angular …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nichomach
    Go

Slim. Flat. Rounded corners. Touchscreen. Fruit-generated lawsuit in 3...2...1...

1. Dotter

I was just about to say the same thing.

They've got 9 months to write up a good lawsuit.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

I think Microsoft has more leverage. It reminds me more of their "spec" for WP7 devices.

2. Northern Fop

is it me?

Or does the screen look a bit lost in the middle of a big phone? They made that mistake with the Playbook and it's ludicrous foot-wide bezel.

1. bazza Silver badge

Ever used one?

Coz if you had you'd know that the bezel is part of the touch screen and all four sides do something useful. Whereas the ludicrously wide top/bottom bezels on and iPhone do nothing but hold the lame home button. Apple has always thought (wrongly?) that its users can't cope with more than one button on a device.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Not sure on this

It looks nice, but the apparent lack of a call make/break button does perhaps put me off. I know the trend is to emulate iPhones but is that the ideal for alot of people. Remember not just youths use phones thesedays and it's not all about facebook.

I still miss the jogwheel that they had on blackberry's. Was realy easy to navigate emails with one hand in a way that you held the phone securely and even then if it dropped you knew the only thing that would break is your pride.

One aspect of blackerry's that was good is there battery life and I hope this carries on, that in buisness and for anybody sane is always important. You can have a cray and full on multimedia system in your pocket but it still needs power to be anything beyond a fitness weight you carry around to keep your pockets from riding up.

Looks ok and hope the new OS pans out. But what interface advantages does it have to ease the use of core applications and perhaps not the best thought out name "London Calling" given what BBM has become associated with the past year.

Look forward to the final product review and given it's design homage a review based upon a prerelease model that some RIM employee leaves down a pub.

--Need Icon for "Watch this space"--

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like a Soviet-era knockoff

Zorki might be a better codename

5. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Devil

"London"?

Named in honour of the riots?

6. David 164

I think I prefer the design here, http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2124994/rim-bbx-smartphone-leaked to this, it looks more futuristic and look different to the other phones on the market, which are all starting to look the same to me. Perhaps this is just a stand in for the real phone, at least I hope so.

7. Andy 36
    FAIL

Caveat...

- May not function with enterprise email until Blackberry 11.5 ( codename Wigan )

- May not fit into pockets (utility belt & holder sold separately)

- May not comfortably fit into hand.

- 1GHz processor, allows for typing at grandma speed

RIM, well done you've thrown out one set of useless Chimps responsible for hardware design, and replaced them with Orang-utans who just about have hands long enough to make use of the new form factor!

8. Bakunin
    Coat

"London has resurfaced with a brand new look"

Slightly charred and looted?

9. Jess

does it freeze up a lot?

like my 9700

10. Brian 39
    FAIL

would have been good....

About 3 years ago...

11. John 62