back to article Microsoft launches Office 15 Technical Preview Program

The next version of Microsoft’s productivity suite, codenamed Office 15, is being sent out to a few brave customers this morning. The Technical Preview Program for Office 15 kicked off Monday morning, as Redmond sent out the code and the preliminary interoperability documentation. The list of testers is already full, and they’ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BlueGreen

what is the value of skype

I mean, what does skype bring over boggo-standard voip that's worth 8.5B?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

It's user base. The whole point of things like Skype is that it enables you to communicate with other people, and if everyone you know is using Skype but not other VOIP platforms, you are more likely to use Skype.

Having said that, Skype's share of the entire telecoms market, in particular international calls where there is the biggest saving to be made, is pretty close to saturation point, so their current revenue and growth potential does not justify the money paid for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

NEWS FLASH....

Microsoft launches Office 15

2 weeks later 'vulnerability found in Off 15'

2months later patch for vulnerability

1 week later 'compatibilty problems with W7'

6 months later patch issued.

3 month later 'vulnerability found Off 15'

Etc etc etc

WHY not just get it right to start with.

2. Graham Wilson
    WTF?

Wow! Office 15 eh?

Wow! Office 15 eh?

I'm still running O2K / Office 9.

Err, well, um, it sits alongside LibreOffice for times when I get sentimental and lonely.

3. Stu 18
    Thumb Down

Can't wait for those new features!

Every day I'm typing away in word thinking I wish I could use Kinect and dance around on the opposite side of the room instead. (That was a joke) What would be really handy is Word recognising when I'm doing the fingers to the screen!

Actually no I do think Exchange needs a complete rebuild. Sure it works, but the lock in to the Active Directory mess and hardware locks to network cards etc makes it a DR nightmare. Unless there is a simple way to have a proper hot standby, we'll be going cloud and ditching that monstrosity next time around. (i.e when we finally do have to replace exchange 2003!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"we'll be going cloud and ditching that monstrosity next time around."

Exchange ditched, cloud as viable alternative? Let us know how that works out for you.

4. dssf

People ask me to skype, and I tell them i don't use my skype acct

I don't use it because:

1: I feel skype sold out

2. It's bad enough fb and other sites are vampires of time

3. I don't want my machines masking other activity that skype would distract me from noticing in the background.

4. I diminished (greatly) my continuously-connected live stream and other consumptions on my personal machines. So, I may as well be consistent. Next to no YT or vimeo, why not give skype the same dissing?

Now, it appears that if one gets pulled into Skype, one in business may find oneself sucked into or compelled to using only ms office. I cannot let that happen -- not to me at least. But, if the skyping bit DOES happen to me, it won't be until I have a sacrificial machine dedicated to surfing and skyping so that any mischief won't get to get at my real, air-gapped system/s.

Call me paranoid, but EVERYONE with personal or proprietary stuff on a machine should be thinking about the ramifications....

1. Mark 65

I ditched skype because the video link ditched regularly and continually, even on high bandwidth connections. Google's video chat proved far more reliable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

optional title

I use all the gurgle stuff (email etc), and having just had an appallingly bad Skype video conversation with my daughter (video quality not content), I was quite optimistic when I saw Mark65 comment about gurgle video ..... so i had a look around as I seem to have been given a gurgle+ account, and could not make head nor tale about how to invoke said magical gurgle video goodness. Shame, as I was really looking forward to having useless ads overlaid on our conversation. Oh well.

5. The BigYin

Why Skype indeed?

MS has two VoIP products. Skype and Office Communicator/Communication Server.

They both use proprietary protocols that block other clients.

One is decentralised, one not.

One works, but can't do multi-person video.

One can do multi-person video, but is a buggy sack of crap the crashes all the time.

By combining the two, MS might just get one product that actually works!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or...

a buggy sack of crap that cant do multi-person video?

2. Lance 3

Or they end up with a product that has the worst of both worlds.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Code Bloat

Office 2003 already had enough features. Why bother with Office 2013?

Bloat and Churn for the sake of Bloat and Churn.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Code Bloat

Look on the bright side - it's a chance for Microsoft to introduce more security holes and bugs!

7. Mike Flex

AC of Monday 30th January 2012 23:29 GMT

> WHY not just get it right to start with.

Do please enlighten us with your strategy for getting large software systems right on the first release.

Meanwhile back in the real world developers (not just those in the corporation you love to hate) will need to improve large systems by working through a progressive test program, including the controlled beta release seen in this article.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: AC of Monday 30th January 2012 23:29 GMT

Are you trying to imply that Microsoft TEST the stuff before they release it? Doesn't seem that way - always loads of bugs, security holes and disasters!

8. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Why?

At work I use Office 2010. At home I use 2003.

Personally I would rather stick with 2003 as I find the ribbon just gets in the way and takes up far too much screen.

2003 already had too much functionality. Who on earth is asking for more functionality from 2013?

I can see more and more businesses going to Open Source alternatives as they all start to realise that the Open Source apps on their iPoop or Andrug phones are just as capable as Office at doing everyday tasks. 10 years ago there was only the PC. These days people are MUCH more aware that there are alternatives.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I also wish

they would just fix the stuff they broke on the upgrade from 2007 to 2010 - for instance (there are lots) the Outlook advanced search (no indication if it is searching, has finished and found nothing or not started yet, whereas 2007 had an animated icon so you ate least knew it was still running or not)

I could put up with the inevitable hiding of things I use regularly with each release, or the addition of 2 extra mouseclicks and the requirement to move the mouse and my eye from the extreme left to the extreme right of the screen and back again if they didn't break the basic bread and butter stuff, but each time there seems to be something essential and basic that gets broken while the eye candy is "improved".

I can feel my productivity soaring already! "productivity suite" permit me a chuckle....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like