back to article Snake slides back onto Nokia smartphones

Most people enjoyed playing Snake on their ancient Nokias, gobbling dots and chasing their tail in zig-zags around the screen, at some time in their lives. Well, gamers can now revisit the past and install the ol' classic on their Lumia handsets, retro stylee. Snake '97 transforms a touchscreen Lumia into a replica of a Nokia …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)

What, really?

Classic pricing strategy there, Microsoft:

"Hey guys, I have a great idea! Lets charge 79p for a 15 year old game which was given away free with phones back then!"

1. Fuzz

Ummm, no

It's not Microsoft that are charging, the app developer has decided they want paying for the game rather than supporting it with adverts. I think 79p is the minimum cost for an app (other than free) in the Marketplace.

I saw this game yesterday and thought, that would be fun, oh 79p I won't bother.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You wanted it?

But 79p put you off?

That's 79p, or 0.79 of a whole £... as in a bite's worth of an M&S Sandwich, a few chips at the chippy... a few spoonfuls of egg fried rice... otherwise known as a piffling amount of money. If developers made something but got 5p for it every time then there would be no point in doing it.

Constantly amazes me that people want things for no money all the time.. I'd pay 79p if I actually liked snake, but it ruined more phones than it brought minutes of enjoyment to me!

2. Rosslee
      FAIL

Because microsoft set the price... numpty

2. dotdavid
    Headmaster

Android

Worth also noting it is on Android too.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dsd164.snake97

Although it's free (with ads).

Oh and "Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)" - Snake 97 is made by an indie dev not Microsoft.

3. David Perry 2
    FAIL

Grammar

"an homage"? Atrocious

1. Fuzz
      Headmaster

an homage is correct

As far as I know when something is an homage to something else the word homage is pronounced omarge with a silent h.

If someone is paying homage to something else then the word is pronounced with the h.

So an homage is correct.

2. Andy Taylor
      FAIL

silent H

It's the phonetic sound of the word that determines the use of "an" instead of "a".

So "an homage" is correct.

4. Shaun 2

I'm enjoying the choice of old Nokias in the iPhone version, while the missus plays on the free Android version. Strange these were not mentioned in the article..........

5. Scrote
    Thumb Up

Not bad

Just tried it. It's not bad. You have to press the number keys on the picture of the old phone to make the snake turn.

In response to Rameses Niblick the Third, I don't think MS has anything to do with its pricing, it's published by dsd 164 B.V.. Whoever that is. And there is a free trial anyway.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Windows Phone.

I'm sure the 10 GENUINE people that own one will be happy to pay 70p for a game that was free in the 1990's

7. TheOtherHobbbes

If only...

Nokia could buy an app for 79p that brought back its market share from 1997.

8. squilookle

It's a great idea, although I assume not being able to feel the keys of the old phone make it harder, though? Might have a look at the Android version.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brilliant! A shit, primitive, boring game back then... which now seems a zillion times shitter, more primitive and more boring now.

Still, credit where it's due. That must take the number of apps available for WinPho up to about three now.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is wrong with you people?

Not all of you, but the idiots who see nothing but an excuse to attack Nokia and WP7?

You may not like either but at least grow up and stick to the topic.

I presume the reason only Windows Phone was mentioned is simply the fact that the person who wrote the article *played* it on a Windows Phone. Why should they need to go look for it on other platforms when it is just a mention/review of something they found of interest, not a platform comparison?

As has been mentioned by others, the pricing has nothing to do with Microsoft. Especially Barry - what is the point of your comment at all, especially as the Title is totally irrelevant to what you were saying?

And Madra - there are around 50,000+ apps last time I did the research, probably more now. Vastly more than I had available on my Blackberry at least, and whilst the iPhone and Android have more (we use them in our household too) so what? Who in their right mind would ever install more than a fraction of them? Assuming the 'important' ones are there, and they pretty much are, the rest is just playground high scores - especially as they inflate the app count hugely by counting both free trials and paid versions of the same software, plus another count for each different language version. Beyond a base-line the stat is meaningless.

Just played the game on my Nokia Lumia 710 (entry level WP7 but superb) and thought it was technically okay, aesthetically honest but also just as boring as the original ...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must be a slow day..

..for this to make news.

It would have been "cute" if Lumia owners were able to get this for free.

As it stands it's another rummage around the abandonware drawer, and not a too inspired one to boot.

On to Atari 2600 conversion news..

12. Wize

They kind of lost the old snakes game on Nokias...

...I had one with a 3D snakes at one point. Moving over squares or hexagonal tiles, flipping over to the back of the board and sometimes even on a curved surface. Not a patch on the original.

13. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

Like this comment...

"Omg... Best game ever... Graphics are realistic and on point. WP7 delivers"

Yes, only WP7 can deliver exactly what phones did 15 years ago.

14. Betty Middleton

The game is as boring as watching a banana take a nap!

15. Andy 70
    Happy

can it do two player over ir?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like