back to article Microsoft schtum on Dropbox snags with IE

Microsoft has so far declined to explain why Internet Explorer this week flagged Dropbox as a phishing threat, in an apparent clash with Amazon’s S3 cloud storage. Customers manned the Dropbox forums looking for answers after IE started alerting them to the fact Dropbox was an unsafe site to visit and advising against …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey
    Windows

People competent to use Dropbox also use IE? Does not compute.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
      FAIL

Computes perfectly.

Dropbox is trivially easy - you just have to install this random application as a service and it just goes ahead and eats your bandwidth throwing files up and down.

True, it's really hard to use if you don't install the service, but almost everybody does that.

1. Piloti
        Linux

...... and ..........

...... it works wonderfull well with Linux.

I use Ubuntu and, mixed with Ones 5gb of on line storage, I have nearly 8gb of free on lines storage.

Brilliant.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mundane

Conspiracy theories aside, there is a more mundane explanation. In the past week there have been a number of spam campaigns (flogging penis propper-upper meds) using html pages on Dropbox redirecting to our Canadian Pharma friends. MS/IE probably forgot to include the rest of the URL path in the flag.

Meh, nothing to see here...

3. Keep Refrigerated
    Trollface

Isn't it obvious?

Microsoft were just late (as usual) in joining the online blackout in protest of SOPA and PIPA. So they decided to actively give users a demonstration of what would happen to one of the services they enjoy if SOPA and PIPA were made law.

Of course, since MS have recently blitzed their marketing department they were unable to schedule a huge coordinated press release to accompany it; informing everyone how they were now an "online protest" company.

4. Tom Chiverton 1

"s3.amazonaws.com hosted by wwf.panda.org"

Really ? Really ? Maybe not... :-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Pre-emptive warning

Meh, instead of complaining we should be thanking Microsoft ;-)

Isn't it obvious? People used Megaupload for legitimate uses too yet they (most likely) lost all their files. So now MSIE will actively warn us before we're trying to upload our files onto any internet location which isn't Skydrive.

Safety first!

6. Mike Flex
    Facepalm

@Richard 12

> True, it's really hard to use if you don't install the service...

What? Clicking on upload and choosing a file is "really hard"?

Are you sure you should be reading a tech news site?

7. Bodestone

IE9 seems very twitchy about its warnings. I was trying to download the virtual XP for win7 from Microsoft. MS wouldn't let me as it claimed it was a malicious file. It has done the same for many MS downloads.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like