back to article Samsung outsold Apple in world smartphone arena

Apple may have shipped more smartphones than Samsung in Q4, but the South Korean giant sold more of the gadgets during the year as a whole. So says market watcher Strategy Analytics. Some 488.5m smartphones shipped out of manufacturers' warehouses during 2011, up from 299.5m in 2010. Exactly 19.9 per cent of them shipped with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Silverburn
    Mushroom

Wait for it...wait for it...

...you know they're coming. Wait until you can see the frothing at the mouths before opening fire.

1. CraigRoberts

They're heeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee!

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Nissan sells more cars than Aston Martin, but I know what I'd sooner be driving.

Apple makes more profit so doesn't need to sell quite so many.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

"Apple makes more profit so doesn't need to sell quite so many."

It never ceases to amaze me how the consumers of Apple products like to spout Apple's inflated profit margins as a good thing / or as a source or pride!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Er, because

There's little point being in business if you're not making a profit.

You can't invest market share

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

inflated profit margins

Read it again.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Two down votes?

These must be from freetards who don't understand market economics or are suffering from mental health problems that stops them from thinking clearly

3. Magnus Ramage

I would genuinely rather be driving a Nissan. They're practical, economical to run, family-oriented, and you don't look like an over-paid idiot with a self-esteem problem driving one.

But the profit point is the key - Apple's strategy is margins and profits, not volumes (and also mindshare in the media and the top of society). And they're succeeding very well at it.

1. Silverburn
        Happy

Overpaid idiot with self-esteem problem

...unless he's driving a leaf...?

Caveat: I actually secretly want a leaf, but can't afford one. Which makes me an *under*paid idiot with a self-esteem problem.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd take a Nissan GTR over one or two of the lesser Astons, the Cygnet for one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

“Despite intensified competition amid the global economic slowdown, our Telecommunications businesses continued to post solid earnings with an enhanced line-up of high-end smartphones, resulting in higher average selling price (ASP),” said Robert Yi, SVP and Head of Investor Relations at Samsung.

Someone mentioned inflated profit margins?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Try telling that to the braindead

Xbox obsessing crowd here.

It seems the media is focused on sales rather than product quality. Case in point, the Xbox, easily the worst consumer product of all time, both from a technical point and a reliability one, but the internet bloggers obsess over sales figures every month, NPD this, NPD that.

To be fair, it seems to a trait of American news, but the braindead European news sites are either too dumb or too lazy to bother to edit out the noise.

6. scarshapedstar
      Trollface

Except

In this case, Nissan has a hell of a lot more horsepower.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Yeah, personally I'd take a Skyline GTR over any of the overpriced wood trimmed stuff you'd find with an Aston Martin badge.

3. Ben Rosenthal

Maybe if they kept their attention on the marketplace rather than patent trolling the world they would not have lost the lead.

4. craigj

Hmmmm

How many articles can El reg drag out of re-interpreting different figures from different countries & surveys in different manners to tell us that Apple/Samsung/iOS/Android is number 1?

Every other day there are contradictory reports that either iOS or Android is beating the other by looking at specific figures / surveys.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inflated profit margins - the irony of that is Samsung sell their Galaxy Tab / IIs for basically the same price - maybe it's Apple being smarter at sourcing components etc. and Apple have multiple revenue streams (hardware, app store, iTunes etc.) - whereas Samsung just sell the hardware.

1. Steve Renouf
      Mushroom

Oh dear

Didn't know that Samsung have also being supplying a lot of the components for the i*****, so they're making profits off Apple as well?!?? Haw, haw

1. jai

what's that?

a five-letter swearword? what on earth is that?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

what's that?

It's an i<something> so it's bound to be some form of obscenity

2. MrF
          Headmaster

Ye olde excrement...

...with a silent 'e'. mayhaps?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It also depends what you call a smartphone - for instance some would argue a Nokia S40 based candy bar is a 'smart phone' - by a technical definition it probably is but not sure most people would regard it in the same category as an iPhone / Galaxy.

I would like to see sales data for the Galaxy IIs vs iPhone 4 + 4s over the last 12 months - that would probably be more interesting.

1. Magnus Ramage

The definitions shift all the time, and certainly much of the functionality that marked out smartphones a couple of years can be found in recent S40 phones (the recent Nokia Asha 300, for example). However most current definitions of smartphones revolve around the ability to install significant quantities of third-party apps - in other words to operate as a general-purpose computer. And while S40 does allow that through J2ME, it's much more limited than Android, iOS, Symbian etc. However, if your goal is to be able to surf the net, do your email, catch up on Facebook and Twitter etc - certainly S40 does all this things, and increasingly well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Magnus, by the same definition also WP7 is much more limited than Android or Symbian, and it is lumped together with the smartphones.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Maybe if they kept their attention on the marketplace rather than patent trolling the world they would not have lost the lead."

Apple is one manufacturer - Android is many - so a comparison is not really fair as Android gets put on some very cheap / low end handsets. Comparing 'by value' might be better or directly comparing volumes of competing phones - i.e. iPhone 4/4S vs Galaxy IIs over the previous 6-12 months?

1. spencer

"Apple is one manufacturer - Android is many, so a comparison is not really fair"

Yeah but the article is about Samsung - a single manufacturer, outselling Apple in the smartphone sector.

I don't see the issue.

8. Wang N Staines

Steve's worst realisation is coming.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bada

Samsung's Bada sales were estimated at 10 million for 2011, so their Android sales only accounted for 17.85% of the smartphone market.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Less than that, Samsung also sells Windows phones.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Less than that, Samsung also sells Windows phones.

OK then, make that 17.84999999999999

9999999999999999999999999% then.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, all 5 of them

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Meanwhile, Apple remains the tablet top seller, but Samsung, along with other Android fondleslab purveyors, narrowed the gap during 2011."

As the original article says, Amazon had a larger role in that Samsung.. Question is if the Kindle Fire is an Android device. It's complicated.

Should be fun when Amazon launches their smartphone this year though.

11. Steve King

iPhone price

Not sure that the iPhone should be compared to SGSii or GNex. It is a nice enough phone but the specs are probably closer to something like the HTC Desire S.

A quick Amazon check gave me £262 for the HTC Desire S and £485 for the IPhone 4s. I don't know the price the manufacturers sell them to Amazon for, but I expect the price ratio to be roughly the same.

Even allowing for the Apple product having more memory, this is why Apple can report higher profits. They sell a decent mid-range smartphone at a high-end price.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only if you think the ltter S is a 'specification'....

The Desire S has has just one core, has a lower end camera, doesn't have internal storage beyond the first 768mb RAM (thus limiting installed apps) and a lower resolution LCD.

So not really comparable at all to the 4s

Whereas a Samsung Galaxy Sii 16gb has roughly the same internal storage, has a slightly slower less powerful than the 4s, and although a lower resolution screen, a much larger one...

More comparable to to a 4s....

PRice of the GIIs 16gb unlocked on amazon, £408

Price of the 4s on Amazon, £485. That's just £77 difference, and after all one is a fairly long in the tooth phone and the other has just been released a couple of months ago.

Incidentally the G Nexus is £466 on Amazon, so even closer to the 4s in price.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

furthermore....

...the Gii s is £10 more expensive if you buy it on Pay as you Go through Carphone Warehouse, so prices vary, and Amazon isnt the only outlet peope might be buying it from.

The point is, you are actually just wrong.

1. Danny 14
          Megaphone

aye

and the fact that the iphone is shite and the G2 fantastic.

please fanbois not the face.

2. MrF

...and you're forgetting the infamous operator kickback(s).

Apple make their money from playing both ends against the middle (consumers).

12. hexx
    WTF?

so how is it - outsold or outshipped?????

13. accsam

Comparing Apple to pears

Journalists, when comparing statistics of marketshare of smartphones (and tablets) and trying to belittle Apple with headlines such as this "Samsung outsold Apple" should bear in mind the following when referring to statistics..

1) Apple are only in the "luxury" smartphone/tablet market ie prices over $400.

2) For IOS gadgets Apple is the only manufacturer wheras Android gadgets are produced by many manufacturers.

Its like producing an article sayng "General Motors outsold Mercedes" . A journalist would never dream of writing such a headline since its an obvious unfair comparison. Journalists are wise enough to know that for a relevant statistic they should only compare Mercedes sales to other General Motors models in the more expensive "luxury" car market.

Therefore, why do journalists feel they can get away with such nonsense statististcs when talking about Apple vs Samsung and IOs vs Android? Journalists when talking about Apple smartphones/tablets sales should only use market share statistics to compare them to other expensive smartphones and tablets produced by other manufacturers in order to compare Apple with other apples.

I bet then that the statistics would show that in the "luxury/expensive" smartphone and tablet market the Apple share compared to Samsung and other androids is really around 90%?

EDITORS - please stop journalists abusing the statistics in order to create sensationalist headlines. Thank you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Basically, what you're saying is what the apple users have been accused of for some time - that apple buyers are idiots with more money than sense!

I love how fanbois rationalize their choices, now the market has better, nicer, more powerful choices! I would never make a choice of a product because it is more expensive than equivalent ones, but if that is how you want to define fanbois, so be it!

14. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Has anybody else noticed that the fanbois are proud of the fact that the iPad outsells the opposition. They certainly like to brag about it. Tell them that Samsung phones outsell Apple phones however and they claim that this is only because the iPhone is a big ticket quality item and the Samsung is popular because it's tat. Does this mean therefore that the iPad must be tat too?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like