back to article Foxconn tooling up for iPhone 5

Taiwanese contract manufacturer Foxconn is preparing its production lines for the iPhone 5, a company mole has claimed. The throat, who previously told 9to5Mac at the end of summer 2011 that the iPhone 5 would not be launched in the near future, told the website that the new model will be longer and wider than the iPhone 4S - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

A bit early

This is a rumour. Please stop with the rumours.

Also, isn't it a little early for switching on the apple hype machine?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't recall it ever being switched off...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Larger screen....

I assume if this screen is in 'widescreen' format then HTC, Samsung, Sony, et al. will being suing apple for copying their designs.

What goes around....

3. tmTM
    Stop

Last years rumours

We heard the same crap last year when everyone expected the iPhone 5 to be released.

They were rubbish back then, they're rubbish now.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

They're likely true, however, in 6-9mo when the phone comes out, it will release using the usual 6mo-old tech and somewhat underwhelming specs, but be vigorously defended with comments of "it's so efficient and good that it doesn't need all that RAM or CPU power..."

All I have to say is microSD slot and HDMI.... Total cost of Ownership comes back to bite iFans.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

@ Ammaross Danan

All phones use 6 month old technology, because it takes them that long to design it. Otherwise you'd have to believe your chip manufacturers' salesmen, design everything blind, and sell the phone without any testing... As for underwhelming specs, I think both the iPhones 3 and the iPhone 4 had pretty much the best hardware specs on the market for a couple of months.

Obviously if you buy them later in Apple's release cycle then you're still paying top, apple premium, price for hardware that should now have got a bit cheaper. This, I suspect, is how Apple make half their huge profits on this stuff. They're still managing to get £300 for the 3GS, which should be well down on that now. Given how component prices drop, I'd be amazed if they don't make more profit per 3GS now, than they did when they launched it, at twice its current price.

The question the fAndroids have to answer is if Apple are so shit, and so overpriced, how come they sell so well? Sales are too high for it to be all iDiots. And there just aren't that many baristas in the world... Therefore, our beloved platform might not be perfect.

1. Ammaross Danan

Fair Response

Nice constructive response Sparticus. My allusion to 6mo-old tech is in comparison to selling tech, not development tech. When the iPad2 came out, it sported a 800x600 resolution, which had been exceeded by other manufacturers. It had a slower core-clock. Definitely half the RAM of other products. Apple does a wonderful job of putting a pretty bow on top of near-top-of-the-line kit, but selling it at premium.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

What's the size point at which you have to have 2 models?

I don't think I'll ever buy a phone with a 4" screen. I find the iPhone 4S feels a bit too big already, and prefer the shape of the 3GS. Clearly there are also people who want all the screen real estate they can get, and will therefore prefer larger phones.

So do people think that if Apple go for an iPhone 5 above 4", they're also going to need a new model of the oft-rumoured iPhone Nano? Otherwise they risk losing sales from people who want the latest 'n' greatest shinies, so are unwilling to buy a year-old 4S, but find the new 5 too bulky.

Will this be the year of the 7" iPad and the iPhone nano? Tune in next week, to find out!*

*Or at least get some more rumours to keep you along for the roller-coaster ride.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

By tooling up, you mean installing inflatable stunt mats around the perimeter of the factory to bounce all those suicidal employees back into their seats.

6. B33k34

Don't believe a word of it.

prepared to put good money that the next iPhone will NOT be physically larger than the current one.

Apple have decided that is the right form factor. They won't change it. A bigger screen in the same body maybe but not a bigger body.

7. fourThirty
    Facepalm

Who cares...

....fed up of reading hype rumour stories about Apple products.

Does ANYONE actually care?

1. Lash
      FAIL

@fourThirty - well clearly some care enough to read the article and then make a negative comment, so you do the maths.

1. fourThirty
        FAIL

@Lash

No Lash, you fail...

I read the article thinking that maybe it had some actual FACT based information, not just another pointless hype story based on nothing but heresay...

The article title states 'Foxconn tooling up for iPhone 5', it then goes on to state that the information is based on rumours, and even questions the relevance of the information given at the end of the article!

8. Toadkiller
    Pirate

And this will cost..

How many bodies per phone...er sorry iphone?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insider?

I didn't realize they even made Chinese people that small.

10. D@v3
    Headmaster

choice of name (iPhone 5)

Being a bit pendantic here, but...

If in 2011 we were 'expecting' the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 4s was released instead (the 5th iPhone to be released) how can we still be expecting the iPhone 5 to show up, ever. The 5th iPhone has come and gone, just with a different name.

The iPhone 4S was the 6th iPhone.

1, 2, 3, 3GS, 4, 4S

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

errrr...

1 = iPhone

2 = iPhone 3g

3 = iPhone 3gs

4 = iPhone 4 (hence the name)

5 = iPhone 4s

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I know wikipedia aint 'The Truth' but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone#History_and_availability

Facepalm

Ooops!

I'm sure I remember an iPhone 2. Oh well...

It must have been that secret prototype that I found in a bar then.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like