back to article Quad-core Samsung Galaxy S III set for April launch

The unannounced Samsung Galaxy S III will hit shelves in April with some meaty specs, including a quad-core processor and a 12Mp camera, it has been alleged. The pinch-of-salt claims come from Russian tech enthusiast Eldar Murtazin, known for his close links to industry insiders. “HD resolution, 12Mp camera, [software] tweaks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Miek
    Thumb Up

mmmmm yummy.

"Do u think 1.5-1.6GHz quadcore is too much for phone?" -- Absolutely not, no!

1. Bob H
      Pint

As I understand it the four processors of T3 consume less than the two of the previous T2.

1. Miek

Phwoar! I'd even get one if it were a little chubbier for extra battery.

2. Ammaross Danan
        Coat

Power

"As I understand it the four processors of T3 consume less than the two of the previous T2."

It's not that they consume less power, which is likely true anyway, it's that they have that ride-along 500Mhz core that does the light lifting while your phone is not running full-on. That's assuming this S3 is running Tegra3 of course....

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Tegra?

This is a Samsung flagship handset. Bet on it running an Exynos processor.

2. Snowy Silver badge

If the battery can last all day with heavy use then sure bring it on, if not then no.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

will the launch

Coincide with new Apple merchandise?

If so will we have to wait months to see it due to patent wars?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Want one!

You think Samsung ever lose them in bars?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"RegHardware's smartphone of the year"

I take it you mean "Reg Readers smartphone of the year"?

Reviewed at 85% and not in RegHardware's "2011's Best... Smartphones" guide.

By far and away the best phone I've ever owned, let's hope the SIII follows suit. I may, for the first time ever, consider an early upgrade.

1. Captain Save-a-ho

Let's hope Samsung follows Motorola's lead to make a 3300mAh battery standard. Otherwise, you might not be able to use the phone long enough to ask someone, "Can you hear me now?".

2. goldcd
      WTF?

Definitely my favourite as well.

My likes are - physical design, OLED, decent innards and 'enhancement' rather than 'bastardization' (yes - this means you, HTC) of stock Android.

Something I *really* like about Samsung are their accessories- not something that normally gets a mention in reviews. Prices are usually pretty reasonable (£10 for battery, £15 for HDMI output) and actually have some nice stuff you don't normally get from a first party (larger battery, with replacement back if you want to trade battery life for thickness).

My only possible quibbles are the battery life and screen resolution.

When the Galaxy Nexus was announced, it was a bit of a let-down - and left me hoping they'd saved the fancy new components for the S3.

My major concern with the S3 is that whilst I really want one, as an S2 owner there's no way I can justify the upgrade.

4. Mikel
    Happy

Just in time for my refresh

Still loving my original SGS tho.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Mine too

This'll be a fine replacement for my Nokia 3315.

5. mike 32
    Megaphone

My contract expires in June/July...

hopefully enough time for them to get round to releasing it in SA!

KEEN!

6. FrankAlphaXII
    Thumb Up

In time for my upgrade too

I think I know what phone Im getting now. I can't wait to get my hands on it but I want to know about its battery life first so I think I'll wait for a review, but on paper it seems great.

7. Alan Brown Silver badge

Will the battery last all day?

GPS mode kills the S2 pretty quickly. (but not as quickly as my old Motorola A1000)

8. illiad

ALL this based on a blog entry?

I have seen news that it is NOT available in uk, may just be the HD LTE version , etc, etc... BUT until samsung says so, it may as well NOT exist... :(

I am amazed that there are so many desperate people out there that fabricate this stuff, even with full quality PSP-crafted picture and specs, that I am spending a lot on salt... :p

Until it is *actually there* at carphone etc, I will just not believe... :P

1. Return To Sender
      Meh

Hmm. Consuming a certain amount of salt in this household too. Son + self are holding off on upgrades right now in the hope of this baby landing fairly soon, mainly 'cos we want the screen real estate as much as anything.

Like many I guess we're grubbing around for all the hints we can get, most of which tend to be a mix of re-hash and wishful thinking. Not going to give much creedence to this one either, sounds more like the guy bigging himself up, TBH. On the other hand, if he's right, hot damn :)

9. OrsonX
    Thumb Up

SOLD!

can't wait!

Quad core... now my emails will fly!!

1. ToddRundgren
      Unhappy

Extra CPU are all very well, but

It's the limited memory that's the problem, not the number of CPUs. When memory get's low, due to lost of app's being open, is when the phone becomes unstable?

10. chipxtreme
    Thumb Up

My contract runs out end of April so either way i'm getting this baby when released

11. Mikel

The retired SGS

It will make a nice media player / toy for the kids - on wifi. Kind of a re-up dividend.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bugger!

Not only did the price of an S2 go up by about 20 quid on Monday night, but I just ordered one yesterday. Still, it's a huge leap up from my Nokia N900, so I'm still happy, and you can't wait forever to get the best phone on the block!

13. Dcope
    Unhappy

The way things are going this will end up on a 32 or 48 month contract, still cant justify a 2 year contract when phones seem to break on me:(

14. Robert Caldecott

Audio quality

I hope they've changed the audio DSP to a different chipset. The audio quality on the S2 is awful.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Dcope

Pretty sure europe limited contracts to 24 months, something probably opposed by the ToryToff party as bad for business ie bad for their share portfolio.

Are you throwing phones off the roof??

16. fixit_f
    FAIL

Goddamit only picked up my S2 the other day - I'd have held off if I'd known. S2 still a brilliant phone though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like