back to article Telly makers aim to put OLED in your lounge in 2012

IPTV Week logo Five years ago, the display technology on the consumer electronics industry's lips was OLED. Screens made from an "active" matrix of organic light-emitting diodes - tiny components that contain molecules which emit light when an electric current passes through them - could produce a more colourful, higher …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Cowbard

IPTV angle?

I guess any OLED TV will probably have IPTV but it's a tenuous link :)

2. HMB

I'm waiting for OLED for the general crappy laptop screens to be replaced with something decent, or gorgeous :D

Seriously, the latest laptop I could get (I was hunting for the best screens to) has a great image once calibrated (shouldn't have to do that) but the black level is chronically bad compared to any other modern display.

I want an OLED laptop screen damn it!

That or an IPS one, but only Apple seem to do those for any length of time.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

IPS, etc.

IPS laptop screens exist, but you'll be paying Apple-like prices to get your hands on one.

What I'd like to see is these 4K screens in a laptop. It's hard enough to find a laptop sporting a 1080p screen and the next iPad3 and Prime Transformer will have larger than 1080p crammed into a 10" (touch)screen.

3. petur
    Boffin

Does OLED brightness still drop much with age?

Because I'm not buying a new set every 3 years....

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

My Super-AMOLED Samsung Wave hasn't deteriorated much in the nearly two years I've had it. It's generally held that blue compound degrades faster than red and green. Not heard much about that. What has changed is the introduction of DuPont's inkjet like production process which increases potential screen sizes enormously whilst reducing production costs as currently you have to do everything under high temperature in a vacuum. If they really have solved that part of the problem then you can expect production costs to undercut LCD systems fairly quickly. You might even see some kind of rental model introduced with the screens collected for recycling every three to four years. Well, one can hope!

4. Shaun 1

Sony's problem with the UK launch was selling it in dollars

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1024x768 is the future

guess the old panasonic plasma will have to soldier on for another 5 years or so at least.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$3700 for a 55 inch TV?

Where are they getting this pricing? That's almost double the price of high end 55 inch 3D TVs and more than 4 times the low end 1080p 2D price. I don't see how that can work out to a $3700 average. I can get a 70 inch TV for less that $3700.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

Yep

You can get a craptastic 60" TV from Walmart for ~$899 or pay upwards to a nice 3D 240Hz bell+whistle 55" name brand for a hair over $2000 (if you don't know how to shop). It then comes down to having a feature-less OLED 55" or a everything-plus-dog 55" LCD that's "good enough" and pocket the $3k difference (new HTPC and desktop rig for the difference I'd say...)

7. Al Jones

Power Hungry?

The EnergyGuide labels on TVs in the US show costs of ~$15-$20/year for a 47" screen, running 5 hours a day. Even if the calculation is based on an unrealistic 11c/kWh, you can't sell a $1000 screen on the basis that it'll save you $10 a year in electricity

1. Oninoshiko

Sure you can.

You just don't put it that way, you say "Super energy effecent!" and stick some wildlife on the sticker.

People are stupid.

8. Robert E A Harvey
    Facepalm

So do they now regret trying to deceive us all by omitting the 'backlit' from all the supoposedly LED tellies they sold last year?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

led is dead try led instead

aye, they made a rod for they're own back there. Number of times in the last year, I have had to explain that they don't have a led telly, but an lcd telly with a led backlight. People are convinced that's what they have bought it said LED in big letters on the TV in the shop. Even some who had RED BLUE and GREEN coloured letters. Hmmmm sucker is all I say.

9. Mike Flugennock
    Coffee/keyboard

Thirty-seven hundred? EIGHT GRAND??!

"But there lies the rub: a 55in LCD TV costs, on average, $3700 (£2375), says IHS iSuppli, another market watcher, whereas the first 55in OLED TVs are likely to set punters back around $8000 (£5134)..."

$3700? Jeezus H. Bicycle-Riding CHRIST. And, if that hasn't got me sputtering enough... EIGHT THOUSAND GODDAMN' DOLLARS -- FOR A GODDAMN' TV SET?

Eight grand just for a bigger, crisper, cleaner look at Hoarders, Operation Runway, Top Chef, The Bachelor, Big Bang Theory and Law'n'Order? Christ, I need a drink, or two... or twelve.

The wife paid maybe a hundred bucks or so for a regular old digital flatscreen to replace the old portable analog CRT set in the kitchen, and we find it perfectly OK for watching evening news or the Endless 50s/60s Rerun Channel on OTA DTV while making dinner or fixing a snack. And in the bedroom, we're doing fine with our 24" flat CRT hooked up to the satellite box. $3700? $8000? Pardon me while I laugh until I piss myself.

Y'know, back in the early '50s, when TV was first taking hold (in the States), TVs were so expensive that only the well-off had them -- and bars... which gave rise to the old tradition of guys getting together at bars to watch the fights on Friday nights. And because TVs were owned by mostly well-off homes, programming was, on the whole, much better quality.

Sadly, not so today. And, we're honestly expected to cough up $3700 -- or, Dog forbid, $8K -- for a better view of The Kardashians, Real Housewives, The Apprentice, American Idol and Two And A Half Men -- with unemployment nudging ten percent? Are they shittin' us?

1. MJI Silver badge

£5000 - £8000

I remember seeing an early LCD TV, £8000, lets just say the prices quartered in a year.

When they get mass production sorted prices will drop.

As to TV, they do more than have TV on them, games & films for a start.

UK HDTV may only be 1440x1080i (same as HDV which is interesting), but we get 1920x1080p from BluRay.

We also have the BBC and so have on average slightly better TV, haven't seen any Cardassians on for a while (actually any Star Trek), but we do tend to get pretty good dramas such as Doctor Who, Merlin, Downton Abbey (yes an ITV programme is pretty good), but get to personal documentries and watch great TV.

Michael Palin travel programmes always worth a watch, I really like Great British Railway Journeys on BBC HD.

Unfortunately we do not have the sitcoms as much anymore, well we do but not as funny

10. hmw

Does the 55" OLED really have a 3840x2160 resolution ? At that rez, $10k sounds good.

11. kain preacher

I didn't pay $8,000 for the car I'm driving .

1. SuperTim

I didn't pay

$800 dollars for the one I am driving!. Tellies have to get cheaper!

12. John Tserkezis

Anyone know first hand about image persistance/burn-in issues on OLEDs?

How does it compare with plasma?

It's essencially a non-issue with most LCDs since you can "excercise" the pixels as a preventative measure to stop anything.

But if they're at, or around how the early plasmas were, I don't think people have forgotten yet why they ditched their plasmas yet...

1. defiler

Ditched their plasmas?

My plasma is 10 years old this year, and going like a trooper. Great colours, great blacks, so ghosts. It's only SD and has no HDMI which is a bugger, and I paid through the nose so you guys can get cheap-as-chips screens today, but I don't grudge it anything by now.

Happy Birthday, TH37PW4B! They grow up so fast...

13. Raithmir

SED/FED

I remember when SED TV's were going to be the future.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like