back to article Toshiba Qosmio DX730 PC TV combo

IPTV Week logo Toshiba’s Qosmio laptops regularly appear in our hardware reviews but the new Qosmio DX730 is a bit of a departure. In fact, it’s not a laptop at all. It is, according to Toshiba, the very first desktop PC that they’ve ever released here in Europe. And it’s a pretty good one at that. Toshiba Qosmio DX730-102 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WAYYYYY overpriced for what it is!

But christ why has it taken so long to integrate a PC into a telly? This should have happened along time ago!

1. Christian Berger

Actually it's been done a lot

For example there was the Siemens FD 204, which had both a complete TV and a complete PC in one case, you had a button to switch the monitor between both modes. The problem was it was overpriced.

Such combined PC-TVs are a fairly small market. And that market is probably only going to get smaller now that you can simply buy separate PCs you can screw onto the VESA mount on back of your TV or monitor.

2. Ben Brandwood
    Thumb Down

The software bundle is a problem

Possibly not so much on this system, but a friend of mine bought a cheapo toshiba laptop the other day and brought it to me for fettling.

Out of the box it was broken - windows 7 is fine as plain install but with the toshiba crapware installed it took over five minutes to boot to desktop and then a further 30 mins to stop auto installing stuff - three of which then auto started and then promptly crashed, freezing the screen in the process.

If I wasn't so tech savvy I would have taken it back as broken. It took me over four hours with PC de-crappifier, CC cleaner, and Windows update to get *most* of the stuff off and it's still not quite as quick as I know it should be - but of course they don't supply the media for a clean W7 install.

Shocking.

3. Fuzz

hybrid analogue/digital tuner

Is that a dual tuner or single? Is it DVB-T2 or plain old DVB-T?

I'm guessing it's a single analogue tuner and a single DVB-T. What a waste of time.

4. jabuzz
    WTF?

Not the first desktop

Toshiba have in the past done a range of desktops, some of which where sold in the U.K. One can start off with the Equium 7000 series based on the NLX chassis released in the late 1990's. A quick Google and you can still find web pages on the Toshiba Europe website about them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not true for a long time...

"It’s actually configured more like a laptop – perhaps no surprise there, Apple has been doing this with iMacs for years "

All new iMacs come with 4-core Intel I5s (up to 3.1 GHz), with discrete Radeon graphics and up to 16GB memory. This isn't a laptop with a built-in large screen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like