back to article Megaupload master loses Call of Duty crown

Being held in custody is bad enough for anyone accused of a crime, but when it means you'll lose the number one position on the Call of Duty ranking boards, it's really gonna hurt. That's exactly what has happened to Megaupload mogul Kim Dotcom, who has been overtaken Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3's overall statistics after …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. OmegaPoint
    Meh

According to Call of Duty Elite he had over 700 hours played - that's almost a full month of game time since the game was released (Nov). I would suggest he gets a bit more fresh air, but obviously that's no longer an option.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Grounds for an insanity plea?

2. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

He is finished...

"the man formerly known as Kim Shmitz had racked up over 150,000 kills"

He will be sent to the Hague and charged with genocide.

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/12/09/red_cross_organisation_worried_by_videogame_violation_of_humanitarian_laws/

3. jake Silver badge

Gamers really do live in another world, don't they?

Go outside, kiddies. Meet the neighbors. You know, REAL people?

1. geekclick
      Happy

@jake

Says the guy commenting on an article on the internet... :-D

2. Greg J Preece
      FAIL

I met my neighbours, then played Super Stardust with them

3. Lee Dowling Silver badge
      Happy

Neighbours? Really?

My neighbours on one side want to have a drunken row at the top of their voices every other night (and when someone yells "I don't love you any more, I'm leaving" - for the fiftieth time - and the whole neighbourhood thinks "Thank feck for that", you know it's true love), and regularly flood the downstairs flat resulting in screaming arguments about taps at 3am, accompanied by fire engines arriving to assess the structural stability (fortunately, they are detached). The only other thing I hear is them constantly yelling the daughter's name into the garden for ten or more minutes for her to come to dinner (rather than going and GETTING her, for instance, or punishing her when she doesn't come, or even better actually teach your 8-year-old child that they get two calls and then they go hungry). Other than that, we don't see them / hear them, even the child.

My neighbours on the other side just moved in and don't give a nod to me. Their predecessors did the same. Hell, even when they moved in and had their whole family there giving them a hand, they didn't even acknowledge my existence until I'd nearly parked on one of them with my car. We get a "Morning" if we're lucky.

My "neighbours" upstairs are nice enough but religious (my gf is a geneticist and I'm of a scientific mind, so we don't really have that much in common), and at least talk when they have the opportunity - the guy works nights for a delivery company and the woman is possibly the most ignorant woman ever (sends her kids to answer the door if anyone rings, who then relay the message to her back and forth etc., and I've never even known her to be supervising the kids when he's not there). I have seen her precisely once. And apart from their Sunday morning tramp down the stairs with their kids, or them taking in a parcel for us, we never really hear from them. I have not ever entered any of their properties, even for a cup of tea, let alone got to make friends with them.

This baffles my Italian girlfriend and her family because they come from a small village and expect everyone to know everyone and they try to greet these people and make friends and are offended when they get completely ignored (and/or never get past good morning).

My previous residence with my ex? Same sort of thing. The only time I saw the neighbours was when one ran round to tell us our garden was on fire (actually, we were only having a barbecue), and she was from across the street, not next door.

The previous residence before that? Two nice enough neighbours but similar amounts of contact. We hired a helium bottle off one because she was a wedding planner who knew where to get them cheap, that was about all the contact we had and she was reluctant to go even that far for us.

There are areas where you can get to know your neighbours (my previous neighbour to all of those actually drives about 20 miles each week to come and see my parents), but the chances of you actually getting *on* with your neighbours (beyond "Good Morning") seem to be remarkably slim nowadays.

When you don't even know their names (and those you do, only by overhearing screaming arguments), let alone their jobs, it's a sign that they don't really care about making friends, even if you have tried (surely their name is the first thing you would find out if they spoke to you?). And it's not at all uncommon in densely populated areas to not know your neighbours at all.

Compared to that, I think I'll stick with the Internet and non-neighbouring friends I've had for years, who care, who know about me, who tell me about themselves and don't cause firemen to be discussing brickwork outside my bedroom window at 3am.

Real people can suck in comparison. :-)

1. Tom_

I wonder what is the common factor in the relationships you have had with the people living around you in each place you have lived.

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge
          Thumb Up

You might think that. On at least two of those "moves", though I moved into an established house with the occupier after they'd already lived there several years (and thus the neighbourly relationships hadn't existed before I'd moved in either!).

You do start smelling your own armpits after a while, though... just to check.

4. Shakje

"and had reached level 80"

Don't play CoD, do you?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MEGAWithdrawal symptoms

now that has to hurt.

6. Tony Barnes
    Trollface

Hard life

So you come up with a media sharing site, which is fairly transparently a copyrighting scam, rake in £100k+ a day in personal income (I believe that was the number quoted?), and get to play COD for about 8hrs a day....

He should really have lived somewhere he couldn't be extradited, as that isn't too shabby a lifestyle!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That was my thought. Given the pics of his compound, his size and playtime, he was living a pretty awesome life. Might be worth prison time.

7. Greg J Preece

2:1 Ratio

For the "world's highest scoring player", that's a bit crap really.

1. asdf
      Go

not really

When you go for a high volume of kills you can't afford to hide alot and take it slow. For that number of kills we was probably sprinting into the the fight guns blazing, taking out a couple of nubs and dying every 20 seconds or so to get the 30+ kills for the round. I tend to hate dying and have a high K/D but I also seldom get more than 15 kills in a round.

8. damien c

Some people have no lives racking up that amount of time already on a game that only came out 2 months ago.

1. asdf
      FAIL

yep but

Its far worse for some of the gold farmers in China in the Internet cafes where it is basically a job. The government has to force them to not play 20 hours a day year round.

2. asdf

oops

meant to say Wow gold farmers of course.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Megaupload waiting times... hmm

Maybe give him an Xbox 360 in prison with gold membership, and when he plays for half an hour he has to wait hours and hours to play again. Now that's payback, also I bet he's fat.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will it help?

Will his CoD score get him out of prison any sooner than 40 years?

11. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance
    Unhappy

Know what you mean about the neighbours

I thought I'd be polite and introduce myself - didn't knock on the door but tried the 'hello my name is...' gambit with them. They couldn't get back in that fucking door to their 'own' space quick enough. Yes I do check my armpits very regularly and this isn't even London where I lived for twenty years. They all talk to each other but blank me. I'm not female and not in a relationship and don't have kids so I suppose I am a bit 'fishy' to them. Oh well.

Then again I like my own space. There is one woman a nurse - I pass her on the road when I walk to the shops - I always say hello to her as I met her and talked to her a couple of times in the pub when I moved into this area (I don't go to the pubs anymore, because there is no one in them for a start, and if there is they don't want to talk to old billy nomates me in the corner), but she never says hello to me. I make a point of saying hello to her though just for the hell of it. She has a red face, and I believe as Springsteen put it: 'the eyes of one who hates for just being born'.

I don't ask anything from anyone, I am not pushy or brash. I am fairly open and a good conversationalist in as much as I really am interested in people and what they have to say.

All to no avail. I go for weeks on end not talking to another human being in real life. If it wasn't for my family......

Yes it was poignant that time stopping off in East Coker on my way home. The Wasteland - I don't know if this was what Elliot had in mind, but.... let's just say that there's nowt so queer as folk. Thank god for the internet. It might be a bit of a slum at times, but it helps to keep me sane.

1. Networks
      Mushroom

Maybe try..

Speed dating?

This topic is closed for new posts.