back to article Infinity Blade II

I liked the original Infinity Blade when it arrived just over a year ago, but it seemed to fall short of classic status due to the repetitive nature of the combat, the rigidly linear exploration and threadbare fantasy storyline. This sequel does try to add a bit more variety to the formula, although I still found the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Wharram

In-app cash purchases

I disagree that it was not necessary to buy cash in IB 1. It becomes increasingly necessary, if you actually want to make any progression, the further you get into the game. Your character only increases in XP if he hasn't mastered all the items he's currently using. The more mastered items you carry the less XP you get. I'm currently around level 50 and I spend half my grind-time without a single item to level meaning that I'm getting no XP per kill. The other half of the time I usually have only 1 item to level meaning that I get a fifth of the maximum XP. This is all because the cash drops don't scale up at the same rate the item prices do. Levelling becomes increasingly arduous teh further into the game you get unless you actually pay for some extra gold with your real hard-earned.

They sucker you in with several hours of easy levelling with no cash issues and then hit you with an increasing need to spend real cash in order to progress further.

Gits.

2. Si 1

I didn't bother with IB2 when it came out. The first had some novelty but the lack of exploration and limited gameplay eventually made it rather boring and I just didn't feel like bothering with its sequel.

I'd much rather Chair stop producing IAP cash-cows and get on with Shadow Complex 2...

3. JDX Gold badge

Price

Really, complaining about having to shell out a whole fiver? It's a proper game, not Angry Birds.

1. Richard Wharram

Well, sort of.

But it still boils down to an endless repetition of one on one combat with enemies that are almost identical to fight against. Not exactly God Of War. Or Street Fighter for that matter. Or Skyrim.

4. clean_state
    Thumb Up

gameplay is everything

This review is completely misses the point of the game which is not in exploration or event fancy visuals. It is the first game since prince of persia 1 with credible and entertaining sword fighting mechanics. While swords appear in many games, it's mainly dull hack'n'slash. Here parrying actually works and you have to master it in order to win.

And by the way, I spent countless hours on Infinity Blade 1 and 2 without ever making an in app purchase. You can regard in-app purchased in this game as a "please donate" button, nothing more.

1. Greg J Preece

Hold on a second there, Sonny Jim. May I bring to your attention the oft-maligned/forgotten Elder Scrolls: Redguard, which had a simple but effective parry, thrust, lunge system.

Seriously, I never got all the hating on Redguard. Sure, it's pretty different to the others, but if I wanted samey I'd play triple-A FPS games.

2. shadowphiar

Yes, parrying works so well that most enemies can't touch me at all with their swords. So they headbutt me instead, which does all the elemental damage of their weapon and can't be blocked. Funnily enough I don't remember that particular technique from the old Errol Flynn movies.

5. Greg J Preece

......."Ring of Ice and Fire"?

Does it sing?

6. Citizen Kaned

lens flare! grrrrrr

"And why is there lens flare anyway? Do games developers only see the real world through a camera's optics? My eyes certainly don't bring their own Photoshop filters with them."

thank [imaginary deity] someone else hates this.

BF3 is full of lens flare and kills the visuals for me.

they are even adding it in movies now. it was one of the cheesiest photoshop effects 10 years ago and instantly makes me think im watching through a camera of some kind

7. david 63
    Coat

I know I'm old...

...but I still don't 'get' paying real money for imaginary stuff.

The one with pockets bulging with real stuff...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like