back to article GM Volt e-car battery safe, say feds

General Motors' Chevy Volt e-car does not sport a defective design, the US' National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has judged. This week the Administration closed its formal probe, launched in November 2011, into potential problems with the Volt's battery cooling kit. Past test prangs had exposed the possibility that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Filippo Silver badge

And the original fire, if I recall correctly, happened three weeks after the crash. That makes it sound like a problem that could've been safely handled if it had been known. The tech seems extremely safe overall to me, we need to run more tests to figure out all the exceptional cases and how to deal with them, but that's normal and acceptable if the fire happens so long after the crash that there's time to call in an expert.

1. Tom 13
      Flame

Right, because after all

everyone reads the owners manual, paying extra close attention to the details about how to make your car fire safe after the crash.

/end sarc

1. Darryl
        Alert

Maybe you don't fireproof your car after a crash, but

I'll bet lots of people have their car checked over by somebody like a mechanic after they've had a hard crash.

If it's hard enough to crack the battery, it's probably hard enough to damage the fuel tank in a conventional car, and if you did that and then tried to sue the manufacturer when your car burst into flames a few weeks later, you'd be laughed out of court.

2. Steve 76
    Black Helicopters

Not surprised

The government finds that a car built by Government Motors (GM) is just fine. What a happy outcome for all!

1. Lance 3

Next from GM, side saddle batteries.

3. kurkosdr

Re:

Look Mr Mathew, if you don't sign those papers saying how safe the Government Motors' Volt is, your department is in for some major budget cutting.

1. Malcom Ryder 1

We must hate GM

Yes, we should only bail out places like Afghanistan or Iraq, not our own country

This topic is closed for new posts.