back to article Shatner faces final frontier as Priceline.com spokesman

Priceline.com has decided to milk the last dregs from an increasingly portly franchise by roasting spokesman William Shatner in a fiery death. Shatner has milked many iconic roles, not least Captain James Tiberius Kirk, singer, sanitized Twitter soap star, and the best-forgotten TJ Hooker, but his regular appearances as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Northern Fop
    Mushroom

TJ Hooker = Heather Locklear

Not in ANY WAY "best-forgotten".

Fool.

2. Da Weezil

Mad Cow?

The only role I ever enjoyed Shatner in was his time as Denny Crane in Boston Legal I think the humour they injected into a sensitive subject was very well written - even if some scenarios were a little OTT.

If we had a few Denny Cranes in IP law, Then that whole rats nest might be more bearable

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I like Shatner

He may have been an arrogant ass back in his 20s (who wasn't?) but these days he's very self deprecating and rather amusing. Good luck to the guy.

4. BorkedAgain
    Coat

I'm with Boltar.

Also, does anyone else now associate "Shatner" with "Bassoon?"

The one with the cake in the pocket, thanks...

1. John I'm only dancing

@BorkedAgain.

For our merkin cousins, love the Roger Melly 'Profanisaurus' quote.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

@BorkedAgain

Shatner faces final bassoon...

2. MrT

European See 'n' Say...

'The cow goes "SHAZOO!" '

Near enough. Especially if milking's involved...

5. fLaMePrOoF
    WTF?

Milked??!!!

Shatner is a legend!

6. b166er

Don't mess with The Shat!

7. laird cummings
    Boffin

Sold out

Shatner $old his Priceline $tock during the Dot-Com bust, and lost out - BIG time.

If he'd kept his shares, their current price (even including the recent reverse 6-for-1 split) would have been valued at US$5.5M. Not that huge a lump. But still, more than he has now.

(Shared anelevator with him once, for about 15 floors - He's a funny guy, in person)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ozzy, not Hammy

Shatner wasn't Hammy, he was Ozzy!

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0012335/

And what about his role as The Great Giant Head?

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0058247

9. Stevie

Bah!

When denigrating Shatner just pause and say "Which roles have *I* become iconic in?"

Shatner rules and Star Trek owes its franchised to Ryza and back life to the over-the-top Captain Kirk as much as anyone.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Shatner was also in a famous "Twighlight Zone" episode

Where he was the flight-phobic and unbalanced business traveller who saves a passenger plane from an evil wing-destroying gremlin that only he can see. The end of the episode has Shatner being carted away in a straight jacket blathering on about how he saved the plane, and the camera backs up from that scene to show the wing of the plane, torn up by the gremlin's claw marks. The episode was enough of a classic that it was remade as a part of the Twighlight Zone movie that came out in the 80s.

And Star Trek just wouldn't be the same without the hammy Shatner's uncanny ability to PUT the emphasis on the wrong WORDS in a SENTENCE!!

1. bjr

Nightmare at 20,000 feet

That was the second best Twilight Zone episode after To Serve Man. If they were smart they would use some variant of this in their last commercial, it would be much better than a bus accident.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

P.S.

I just remembered thatt same Twighlight Zone episode was parodied in the Simpsons as a Treehouse of Horror episode, with Bart saving a schoolbus from the gremlin, and at the end of the episode Flanders picks up the injured gremlin and starts mothering the little monster because even though its evil incarnate, it is one of God's creatures.

12. steward
    Pirate

Not to mention...

the totally forgotten (at least by elReg) character "Jeff Cable" in "Barbary Coast".

At least TJ Hooker made it to DVD. :-)

13. John Haitch
    Thumb Up

Boston Legal

Totally rocks. It is NOT a drama, it is a comedy! Love Shatner on it.

14. Herby

I can only assume...

That the warranty ran out on his hairpiece. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

15. jon 72
    Trollface

According to the tribble underground..

Shatners tuopee has a seperate contract and is currently working with Justin Bieber

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like