back to article Campaign launched to teach consumers about ad-stalking

An organisation representing US marketing bodies has launched a new advertising campaign to raise consumer awareness of online behavioural advertising (OBA). The Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) campaign, called 'Your AdChoices', consists of banner advertising designed to drive users towards "educational videos" and controls …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RISC OS

Advertising?

What's that then? haven't seen any adds since I started using adblock!

2. Pat 11

not far enough

These people need to be more proactive in making my preference propogate across devices. I browse on 7 different devices, I'm not going to remember to opt put on all of them. If only there were a way of making sure i was only stalked by opting in. But i guess that's technically too difficult and not about them knowing we would all stay opted out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To propagate your preferences across devices

they'd need to be tracking you across devices.

3. jake Silver badge

Ads?

What are these things you call "ads"?

More to the point, why do I have to see 'em on equipment that is under my personal control?

4. Steve Renouf
    Big Brother

Opt-in only

What we need is for the browser to pop-up a "do you want to allow this cookie" dialogue and for the cookie to include information about it's purpose. The individual then has complete control over which cookies are allowed and which are not, in an informed manner. Rather than the clandestine method of setting cookies that exists at the moment!

Of course, for those running Firefox, they already have this with No-script/Adblock etc. to some extent.

1. adnim

cookiemonster

Block all cookies especially third party cookies, allow session cookies only if the site requires them to function, allow permanent cookies only from sites one trusts. block everything else. Yes, imho Adblock and NoScript are essential.

I would expect ones options are limited on locked down devices... that's why I don't use them.

Most of the major advertising and tracking servers/networks are blocked at my router.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just watched the videos...

...and my eyes melted.

Maybe it was meant to be all tongue in cheek and harking back to the Daz adverts of the 50s where you got shouted at to buy something. Awful, just awful. Don't even go and watch to see how bad it is. Oh, go on then, but be warned.

One video tells us we have to be thankful to an icon that shows we're being tracked every step of the web, an icon that's only there because the advertisers were forced to admit what they were up to.

Another video tells you that Everything that's free on the internet is only free because of advertising so the implication is that daring to drop "interest-based advertising" (not "creepy behavioural tracking") was a Bad Thing you naughty freetard. Go and consume stuff.

But if you really have to, you can opt-out of having adverts delivered. No apology for having tracked everyone up to now without asking. And you opt-out one company at a time. If more companies join later, you'll have to go back and opt-out again. As we know, that has to be done per browser and per account. You stop ads being delivered, but they don't stop you being tracked.

I'd rant and rage more, but I use no-script + adblock, no third party cookies are allowed, all cookies are cleared at the end of the session, and flash cookies are deleted every login.

6. min

to bake this cake, use an ounce of AdBlock, a couple of knobs of NoScript, three tablespoonfuls of click&clean and Ccleaner, sprinkle liberally with Ghostery. a dusting of Bleach Bit is always useful for a good final result. a sprinkle of widget block on the tray before putting in the oven.

obviously the oven has to have the right cookie settings and so on..but it is easy not to see most ads again.

7. dephormation.org.uk
    WTF?

It this was something anyone valued

would it require so much effort to explain?

Communications surveillance should always be opt in (for both parties).

8. Mike Flugennock
    FAIL

Jeezus, don't these knobs get it yet?

The only advertising relevant to my interests is non-existent advertising.

Not that I've hardly seen any ever since I installed -- all together now -- AdBlockPlus, FlashBlock, and NoScript.

This topic is closed for new posts.