back to article Joyent rakes in $85m to build out SmartOS clouds

Joyent has built a sophisticated infrastructure cloud founded on the open-source Solaris environment with the hopes of taking on Amazon's EC2 – and now it has a big pile of cash with which to globalize that cloud. Joyent, which was founded in 2004 by David Young, the company's CEO, and Jason Hoffman, the company's CTO, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"Joyent"?

I'm sorry, but... really? Really? "Joyent"?

I don't know about you guys, but seeing company names like these doesn't make -me- happyent.

WTF? because there isn't one for barfing.

:Q

2. The_Yig
    WTF?

Ponicutastic

Second that.

Lazily turning abstract nouns into verbs with the -ent suffix is more dated than hammer pants. If you have a marketing department to piss off, just be upfront about it.

"Joyent SmartOS"...why not "Nipplesplosively Spunkstack"? It has the same emotional heft, and people don't wince as much while saying it...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

I think I'd rather wear hammer pants to work than work at a place with an -ent name. The same goes, to lesser degrees, for -sys, -ant, -int, -vis, and -soft. The last one mostly because I think it would be drab to work at a software company so softwarey that it has 'soft' in its name. Oh, and -arts. Might make an exception for LucasArts though.

'-com' is another good suffix to stay away from. Keeps you away from telecoms behemoths -and- low-rent internet retailers. Anyone know if .com is/was in Amazon's real company name? Not like they need the .com qualifier anyway - it's not like anyone's going to see that rainforest that got named after them and get all confused! Haha!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OrgasmOS

If you build it, they will come.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Temptation of St Anthony Revisited

Do you get to take it for a performance delivery ride and test drive, AC..... such a Fab O OS or it an IT Cloud Crowd Driver and therefore powering both with control in a Triad, ..... for Perfect Peace and Immaculate Harmony that is Offered as Heavenly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like