back to article VMware busts through billion dollar quarter

Server virtualization juggernaut VMware has busted through its first billion dollar quarter, beating Wall Street estimates for the fourth quarter of 2011 in both sales and profits. Anyone – this means you, Red Hat, Citrix Systems, and Microsoft – that thinks they can knock out VMware in server virtualization should consider …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Devil

Spammers!

Good for VMware, but why do they have to spam the hell out of me with emails urging me to "reclaim [my] week-ends" from the "3 upgrades, 15 warm sodas" hell... which is supposed to be solved because virtualization allows you to do the upgrades during work hours, apparently.

First, I don't drink soda, and certainly not warm soda. Second, if the reason you do the upgrades during the week-end is to avoid disruption, either you're not very good at what you do or your boss is a cheapstake. In the first case chances are that you will end up working on week-ends even with virtualization. In the second case you're not likely to get that purchase order for VMware signed anyway.

Thirdly, I don't like the idea of having my redundancy managed with a tool that a moron could use, because it means that sooner or later a moron (PHB?) will try, and they will make a mess that I will end up having to fix.

Lastly, whenever possible I like my redundancy at the physical level, thank you very much. It might be more expensive, but it's safer.

PS having 2 tickboxes on your "spam subscription management" page, one to opt in and one to opt out, and opting in everyone who doesn't either opt in or out might have looked clever when they thought of it, but it doesn't reflect well on their company ethos. Cheeky monkeys.

1. Roger Greenwood
      Thumb Up

"boss is a cheapstake"

mmmmmm . . . . . Steak.

(Well thats what I read)

2. Joe Greer
    Thumb Up

They are growing...

because they make a product that does what they say. How do you get windows to run? Run Windows on Linux, or in this case VMware. VERY GOOD SOFTWARE.

Is HyperV good enough, no, and HyperV may never be as good as VMware.

1. Danny 5
      Happy

why?

i agree that VMware is the best there is at the moment, but why the talking down of HyperV? i've been using it for a while now and have to say it works very well. There's certainly a lot of work to be done before it's a real rival, but i see that happening along the quite near future.

Problem with being the best is that the only way is down ;)

3. LPF
    Thumb Up

@Joe Greer

agreed, they are the best at what they do, its does what it says on the can , and you dont have to worry about it. People will pay for quality!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like