back to article iPad 2, iPhone 4S finally jail-broken

The Apple iPad 2 and iPhone 4S have finally fallen to jail-breakers. The move allows the more adventurous to install any app of their choosing, not just those approved by Apple to appear on the App Store. For the technically minded the development opens up the possibility of examining the device's filesystem or installing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Laurent_Z

So Iphone 5 and Ipad 3 will be announced and/or out within 8 weeks...

I'm not taking any monetary bets, but if you care to remember how it worked in the past ...

Apple Devices always become jailbroken just in time to move latent inventory, usually just before the new model (un-jailbreakable) is out.

Rinse, Repeat : IPaid 8p

1. Station Grey
      Thumb Up

That's like saying I've noticed that my alarm going off coincides with it getting lighter in the morning and therefore my alarm clock must be in cahoots with the sun.

Jailbreaks come out sometime after a product is released. As do replacement products. Neither can realistically come at any other time. But as it happens, the two are rarely anything close to one another at all.

You do realise that it's not Apple who release jailbreaks, right?

Anyway, I for one am one happy bunny. At last my 4S works properly without being pointlessly restricted. Good work Geeky Hacker Dudes.

2. Annihilator
    WTF?

Physical

On top of Station Grey's points, unless the jailbreak is a physical one (bloody unlikely) then Apple would just need to do an iOS point release to address whatever gap they've used to get in. They don't need to punt out a new hardware revision.

Jailbreaking isn't keeping the older iPhones selling. I've yet to meet someone buying a 3GS or 4 just for its jailbreakability, they buy it because they want an iPhone but don't want to spend top whack for the 4S.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

AKA

"they buy it because they want an iPhone but don't want to spend top whack for the 4S"

AKA an Android....

/hat and coat.

3. Richard 20
    Thumb Down

Tut… El Reg… what took you so long??

This was announced at least 2 days ago.

Tut, tut.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tut… El Reg… what took you so long??

We don't all work every weekend - and neither do our readers.

4. Confuciousmobil
    Thumb Up

1M users can't be wrong

Since the release on Friday as of last night 950k people had used the new JB.

I'm sure it will be well over 1 Million by this morning.

That is in addition to the millions that were already JB on earlier devices.

Thank you 'Dream Team'

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like