back to article YouTube tops one hour of video uploads per second

Google has announced that uploads to YouTube now total one hour of video every second. "Can you imagine how many 'Nyans' that is?" the company ask in a blog post announcing the milestone, referring to the mind-numbing "Nyan Cat" video that has been watched over 60 million times. On a separate website, "One Hour Per Second", …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Raith

All very interesting, but....

...I'd be more interested to see how much of that is original content, and how much of it are atrocious 'remixes' of songs over choppily edited scenes of their favourite films, pirated content and people responding to those videos complaining about the poor quality, comments to which question their sexuality and suggesting that they shag their mum with low quality grammar and spelling.

Now *that'd* be interesting.

Or at least, moderately less dull.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Impressive stats. And thank God none of that content infringes any copyrights anywhere, otherwise the FBI would be kicking Google's doors down and Larry Page would be running for his panic room, with a sawn-off shotgun under his arm.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS. I'm proud to say, I've no feckin' idea what the "Nyan Cat" is. But, given the quality of most of what's on Google, I suspect this chasm in my cultural awareness is one that is best left unfilled.

1. Tom 35

Compared to so called "reality TV"

Nyan Cat, Carameldancen and all the rest are works of art. Even Badgers, Badgers, Badgers is more entertaining then what ever "blanking with the stars" show is on this week.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The Nyan

Could this be the new El-Reg standard unit of time?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't think so

The Nyans vary in length, so you'd have the odd situation where one nyan wasn't exactly one nyan long.

</sad_git>

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

re: varying Nyans

> The Nyans vary in length, so you'd have the odd situation where one nyan wasn't exactly one nyan long.

Not a problem, you'd just have to introduce a leap nyan every so often.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

More interesting perhaps is also the resolution of the stuff being uploaded: HD (1080p) is becoming the norm. Google must have some seriously good network boffins to cope with that!

6. Archimedes_Circle
    Megaphone

For those on the right side of the pond's persuasion I apologize.

I can proudly (alright somewhat proudly) say that I prefer listening to nyan cat more than I prefer listening to several other types of music, especially those that refer to tractors and god with equal importance and frequency. I don't care how religious you are, or how proud you are of your damn green tractor. NO ONE thinks it is sexy.

/rant from years of pent up childhood misery

As for the title of the post, I've warned you. There be mental demons there, and Tim the Enchanter help me if you look.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But ...

"I don't care how ... proud you are of your damn green tractor. NO ONE thinks it is sexy."

How about a combine harvester?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I got thirty acres

Have you got 43?

7. ravenviz Silver badge
    Facepalm

As in the first Nyan Cat comment I saw:

who the fuck is nyan cat

unquote

8. Graham Marsden
    Big Brother

This just goes to show...

... the sheer futility of expecting content hosting services to screen uploads for copyright violation before they're put online.

Of course that won't stop the MPAA/ RIAA bought and paid for politicians from trying to push this nonsense...

1. Andrew 59
      Stop

Re: This just goes to show...

YouTube does screen videos for copyright violations, but the content provider has to have an arrangement with Google. Disney doesn't care but the likes of NBC do, that's why every episode of every recent Disney show is on YouTube at least five times but there's no full episodes of quality content like, say, Heroes.

**Snicker**

9. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

ワンワン

wan-wan

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How often have you watched nyan cats?

Are we sure that no one on the internet can tell that we are dogs?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

57 channels....

...and nothing on

11. Drew V.

Nyan Cat is happy but also want to know...

"...when does check with Youtube money finally arrive in mail?

That how it work, right?"

12. M Gale

So,

Along with Nyans as a temporal measurement, is a measurement of bandwidth along the lines of a "Youtube-Hour" (abbrev. yH) incoming?

13. Grease Monkey Silver badge

How many hours or original and unique content is that?

1. Olafthemighty
      Holmes

@ Grease Monkey

About 0.3 standard nyans-worth.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like