back to article Ten... boomboxes

There are some really excellent iOS speaker systems available at the moment, but most of them are designed for a tasteful dinner party with friends rather than a full-on party scene. And, of course, they’re mostly mains-powered and designed for use at home. However, there are a number of boombox systems that can run off …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Why so down on the D cells?

Surely they'll work with rechargeable D cells? (Beware of the ones that just repackage AA cells,

buy ones that are 8 to 12 AH.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Two reasons I'd imagine

Cost - a quick price check looks like ~$60+ for a ten pack - and convenience. If you're the type to grab and go without planning/preparation (I am at least)... an integral rechargeable battery that keeps itself topped off will tend to work better.

2. DF118
    Unhappy

More consistent info would be handy

Some products you give a battery life for, others you don't. Surely you *did* test them all and didn't just copy details off the spec sheets?

3. Drew V.

A boombox can change the world

...but you gotta know your limits. A boombox is not a toy.

(anyone who didn't get it, Youtube "Loney Island Boombox")

1. defiler

That was pretty funny

I'll probably have a proper listen later when I have headphones and no 2-year-olds climbing on me...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvEYKRF5IA

Just be careful with the turbo bass

4. The Indomitable Gall

O wh-i, o wh-i

I really like the look of the Ion Audio one, but if you can't plug in two non-iOS devices, it's limiting its market unnecessarily....

1. ThomH

You're not alone in feeling despair that the de facto standard for dock connectivity is proprietary, but I guess they're assuming that iPod users will outweigh all other customers?

1. The BigYin

Agreed

Apple have pulled a blinder by getting their adapter accepted as a standard. Hopefully the EU will stick the boot in at some point (like they have with mobiles and chargers).

Heck, maybe we should just declare the Apple port as the official standard and thus unpatentable and allowed to be freely used without license?

After all, isn't competition good for the consumer?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg goes chav

Look forward to hearing one of these 'beauties' being driven loud by a thick, ugly chav family at a park near you.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wot?

No cassette decks? No double speed copying?

1. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face
      Thumb Up

damn right..

.. if it's not got soft-eject I'm just not playing.

7. HoverDonkey
    Facepalm

When are we going to start seriously marking these products down...

for only being i-brick compatible?

To limit your product to devices from a single manufacturer is a little closed minded and restrictive nowadays, don't you think?

Surely it's a no-brainer that bluetooth should be included?

8. TimBiller
    Thumb Up

Ion

My wife uses one of the single dock Ion units for all her dance teaching and Zumba classes, with a wireless headset receiver in the aux input. I've even played my Roland drums through it - works really well.

It is VERY loud!

Recommended for places were volume's needed over fidelity - which is not usually a problem when mp3 and aac files are being played.

Tim

9. Clockworkseer

I keep seeing the Ion around...

Seems to be the new backing tape box/mixer/amp of choice for the segment of the Busker/Street performer crowd that uses such things.

10. jamieclements
    Devil

missed the tdk..

I'd add that the pioneer looks like the only candidate for the title of boombox. Also we're missing the two TDK boxes, one of which was used for the last Beastie Boys album launch, that's accreditation..

Also I'd like bemoan the lack of solar, or even a little windturbine, don't laugh I live in Scotland, I'm serious! its all about efficiency, not wattage. Bose know it but they use it to make things that are very small.

Jamie

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone buy Boomboxes these days?

I've never scene anyone with a Boombox except a ghetto rat. Do people really buy these boxes today?

12. Sly

Lasonic?

now they make boom boxes. Stereo 8 inch woofers... that will BOOM from that box.

13. jason 7
    FAIL

One word....

Awful!

14. JC 2

Insane Prices

I'd rather buy a ready made solution but for these prices, connecting an iPad or other audio player anyway, I'd much rather just stuff a SLA battery or string of sub-C NiMH cells and power amp into a car speaker box.

15. Steven Roper

@ HoverDonkey

( Tried to reply directly to your comment but for some reason got a "Gone" http error when I tried)

Absolutely agree with you about these devices pandering to Apple. It's for that reson, as I read the reviews, that I decided the only unit I'd be interested in out of the lot of them would be the Logitech - simply because it did NOT have an Apple suck-up dock.

Just as I refuse to allow Apple products in my house, I similarly refuse to allow products that accommodate them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Steven Roper and @HoverDonkey

Well if you're happy with "sound only" 3.5mm aux port then by all means stick with it. Some of us have moved on and actually like the added functionality a multi-use io port gives us.

And the only reason you see i* docks on so many accessories is because there are so many i* items out there. If Google had had the sense to mandate a std physical interface in the same way then I'm sure it would be being supported too

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Err...

...ever heard of USB? Of course it's more than just the port, one needs an open standard to browse/control. Oh, wait, I think there's one of those as well.

Epic FAIL for these manufacturers.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          WTF?

"...one needs an open standard to browse/control."

Good to know that there is one (assuming that there is), shame it doesn't seem that anyone's using it or that they're all keeping pretty quiet about it if they are.

The other players need to wake up and smell the coffee. The only way they're going to dent the iMonopoly is by all conforming to a single interface standard. That way they might pull enough clout between 'em to get the third-party device lads to take an interest.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Isn't that what...

...DLNA is all about? And I hear tell that even if this is followed, it's only to relative values of "standard" and supposedly "DLNA" complaint devices will not interoperate.

This is why you must buy all-Sony, or all-Samsung or all-Apple.

You must be true to your chosen cult, only the heretics expect manufacturers to allow consumer to benefit from interoperation.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Watts vs Sound Pressure Level

Knowing the wattage output tells you bugger all. How's it measured? Peak, RMS and into what load? How efficient are the drivers? A 3dB difference in speaker sensitivity means you can use half the watts for the higher sensitivity speakers to get the same sound pressure level. And how did the manufacturer measure that sensitivity? That's right - they didn't. It's like buying cars based on brake horse power figures. Pointless.

Still... if it sounds good and goes loud enough who gives a crap?

17. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

What, do you guys in the UK not enjoy the wonderful boombox styling we^H^Hyoung people these days enjoy here in the land of the frat boy?

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/11/13/00/28/67/1113002867765_500X500.jpg

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/73/23/66/0004732366100_500X500.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41St3IEU5eL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://trendsupdates.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/lbt-zx99i_cw.jpg

Sony seems to be the perpetrator of a good number of audio atrocities, which seems odd, for a company whose design sense is so clean in other markets - but it seems that Sony knows that college nitwits with more money than brains buy expensive stuff because it looks garish... but *adults* with more money than brains buy stuff because it looks great.

(For the record, adults with no money and no brains *either* buy stuff because it looks garish, too. This is why you can go to the Home Despot and get one of a hundred gold encrusted sconces with curlicues and fillets and carving and embellishments and sparkles for $11, or buy one that's a simple brushed-steel cylinder for $140. Fucking hell, why is it that if you don't want to spend $100 on a wall light you have to get something that looks like it was stolen from Donald Trump's bathroom?)

But I digress - and wait! Another contender has stepped entered the ring!

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/jvc_mx_gt80.jpg

Ding ding ding! Stand up and applaud, if you're not vomiting - JVC emerges victorious in the "Oh my Jesus Lord" sweepstakes for fucking terrible looking audio equipment.

I mean, *damn*.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Admittedly, the JVC is possibly the most hideously fugly male-adolescent-oriented toss I've ever set eyes on, but it's not really a good example of state of the anti-art.

The monstrosity is a decade old- the giveaway was what appeared to be twin cassette decks at the front (cassettes are dead, or at best a semi-ironic piece of 80s-invoking retro as far as today's adolescent is concerned)

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-MX-GT80-GigaTube-Compact-Stereo/dp/B00005AYA7

Also noticed that it has a 3CD changer; even I don't use CDs these days.

BTW I dislike the creeping Americanisation of the use of the term "boombox"... it were "ghetto blaster" when I were a lad, and a "ghetto blaster" it will always be. (Er, even though "ghetto blaster" was probably an American term in the first place and ditched due to the slightly insulting undertone!)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, 'boom box' is the real term, and 'ghetto blaster' is definitely pejorative - kind of like 'rice rocket'.

18. Mr Lion
    WTF?

Jambox - or how do you choose which products to review???

There seems to be a rather arbitrary approach to which products you review, which makes them a little bit...totally ****ing useless.

Your reviews are in general well written, but when they miss out really obvious products in whatever category you're reviewing, it really doesn't help me decide which one to buy, just how I should feel about what I've already bought.

Speaking of which - why didn't you include the jawbone jambox in this review. Spectacular piece of kit.

19. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Find and replace failures of our time?

" Admittedly, the default settings did audio a bit flat and listless"

I like the fluff words you use too, perfect in their meaningless...ness.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It means, "Sounds like cheap television speakers."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like