back to article Second Nokia Lumia update inbound

Nokia has announced its second Lumia 800 battery update will hit its WinPho handsets in two weeks' time. The Finnish outfit acknowledged customer's concerns over the 800's battery life last year, promising a couple of software rejigs to address the Lumia 800's durational deficiencies. While the first of these updates was made …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. B4PJS
    Thumb Up

Got this today

To early to tell what the difference is yet though.

The new version of the diagnostics app (accessed by dialling ##634#) has some cool new updates too :)

1. thataussieguy

Ummmm.....

What's a Nokia?

2. Tezfair
    Unhappy

Tethering

I need tethering not battery updates. All WM phones have to be changed each day so even if the battery life is an extra 2 hours it doesn't make that much difference in the great scheme of things.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

Assuming your phone is like mine:

Settings -> Internet Sharing on/off

A little setup for the broadcast name and bob's your uncle.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Not on the lumia - nothing there. :(

2. Des5798p
        Unhappy

Tethering is dependent on carrier

TMobile do it, Orange don't etc

3. Nick L

Good.

Biggest complaint with my 800 is the battery life, so I hope this helps.

It's rather annoying that there's no way to update your own device through your own choosing, it really is.

1. waxy41
      Happy

I agree. The battery life on the Lumia 800 was awful! I received the update earlier this morning, and I have to say, the phone does seem to be sipping the battery a bit more than before, though you're not really going to be able to tell for at least a few days how much of an impact it has actually had...

There are a couple of annoying things with the phone, the tethered update is one of them, as is the lack of tethering option mentioned by someone above, but all in all, I've absolutely loved this phone! Definitely much better than my previous phone - Galaxy S... I hated it!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There is tethering

Assuming it's on the Nokia is the same as the HTC trophy - settings->Internet sharing.

It just appeared one day one mine.

1. Nick L

nope...

Unfortunately, it appears that Nokia has decided to disable this feature. I bought my Lumia SIM free, and it's not there... (Network is Vodafone)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Nick...

Odd, my HTC Trophy is on Vodafone and that has tethering. I wonder if it's a driver issue? It appears that the reason it took a while for my phone to get the tethering, after Mango was released, was because the driver needed to support putting the WiFi into "base station" mode, which wasn't included in the first driver. If that's the case you can hope - as can I because I wanted a lumia as my next phone.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Got this update notification

today on my Lumia 800 that I recevied free from Nokia Developer. The device says I've got to connect the phone to my computer to learn more, which presumably means install the Zune-bloatware (which I refuse to install) and then update the phone?

Sod that for a game of soldiers - no OTA update? This is 2012 FFS.

Lucky that the Lumia just sits quietly in a corner, unloved as it's not able to replace my N950.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Nick L

1 word for you...

ebay?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Nick L - ebay

You can't sell freebie Nokias - they're technically loan devices, and have no warranty whatsoever.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

You don't have to install zune, if you have a mac there is some not-quite-zune you can run.

As for OTA updates, I believe that they are available for the phone, possibly that's the update that you need to install.

The good thing about the normal wp7 update process is that it takes a full backup of the phone in case anything goes wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't have a Mac

And there is also zero Linux support (hardly surprising from Microsoft but less so from Nokia) so yes I do have to install the Zune bloatware, even to use the phone just as a freaking mass storage device!

It's been years since I used a phone that *required* bloatware to update firmware or install media, and yes I know this is standard on Apple gear, doesn't mean it's a good thing. Nokia have taken a big leap backwards by going forwards with Microsoft.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1600.2483 .8106 .11500

That's Wangernumb I think.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Battery problems persist

Reading around on ta interwebz it seems like this update doesn't even fix the battery problems it claims it is meant to resolve. Poor old Nokia will just have to wait another 2 months for their lame duck software supplier to get their shit together.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like