back to article Quantum physics to encrypt clouds of the future - boffins

Boffins looking for the perfect alliance between science and technology have married quantum computing to the future of IT - the cloud. The researchers have used quantum mechanics to encrypt heavy-duty number-crunching computing, thereby removing a major obstacle in the adoption of the cloud for many enterprises - how safe is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

any possible snooping

Undoubtedly clever stuff but haven't we been here before with supposedly uncrackable quantum crypto? Saying that this is going to be proof against any possible snooping leaves you on somewhat shaky ground going on previous developments.

1. streaky
      Boffin

Possible..

Yeah because it's been known for a long time you can use quantum computing to make and break quantum. Now it's in the cloud so it's down 80% of the time and 12 times more expensive.

Hey by the way the killer app for quantumn pysics in clouds if you work on theory isn't crypto but the ability for commputer to communicate with each other infinately quickly, with zero latency.

Or you might just make a black hole or something. That should give some dumb yanks an excuse to sue anybody who tries it :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The aim of all governments is to make encryption work perfectly for everyone but them.

Thus, if anyone actually does make encryption perfect, then it will be circumvented. So it's only worth even discussing encryption.

I therefore have had the view that since I cannot prevent the decryption of data by my government, that I should just make it work at sub government level, and make it easy enough so law enforcement can get in without having to ask, so they can exclude me/my systems/etc from their enquiries and focus on catch who they're really after.

Does anyone really believe that if wanted to know the trade secrets of Downunder Joe Public Software incorporated of Sydney, their data would be safe in a cloud or SAAS service such as Salesforce, even if they encrypted their disks?

It's not safe in the building either, but at least governments have to get physical if you've an inhouse offline system.

3. schotness

meanwhile

Meanwhile in the Universe next to ours Apple have already patented this.

4. jake Silver badge

During the meanwhile ...

... all the data I want to remain "secure" is behind an air-gap.

It ain't exactly rocket science.

5. ratfox
    Paris Hilton

You mean that it is actually practically possible?

So far, the only true quantum computing stuff I had heard about was that one where they factorized 15. Using a vat full of chemical products.

6. DJ Smiley
    Gimp

Until you store it....

Its only quantum while its being COMPUTED....

The storage is still, afaik your average boring 0 and 1's on a disk somewhere.... and so they can still be snooped. Of course you can encrypt them on the disk also, but there will be bugs, as always. Just hope your not the company who ends up being exposed?

7. LinqMasterJ

Check your facts.

"There aren't actually any quantum computers in existence yet", A little bit of research would have should you that there is in fact a quantum computer in existence; http://www.dwavesys.com/en/products-services.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or Not.?.?.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/30/dwave_lockheed_martin/

8. miknik
    Trollface

Well I've never managed to find a quantum computer

I clearly know too much about it's momentum.

1. Mr Young
      Happy

Well, I'd say...

You haven't looked hard enough!

1. hplasm
        Happy

Or too hard!

You have to squint,and try to catch a glimpse of them from the very corner of your eye...

Oh, and whatever you do- Don't Blink!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've got one right here. Didn't realise they moved?

3. Paul_Murphy

No - you did find it...

but when you looked it wasn't a quantum computer any more.

ttfn

9. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like