back to article Windows 8 will show where it likes to be touched

Windows 8 gadgets fitted with NFC will have a logo showing where on the case a pay-by-wave radio signal can be picked up, given a tablet might be bigger than the wireless technology's range. The requirement came out of the Windows 8 hardware specifications, which were published last month but occulted by the furore over the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Question...

... will it crash as much as all the other Microsoft nonsense?

1. Spearchucker Jones
      Coat

Only if you try to run Linux on it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oooooooh! mmmmmmm! aaaaaah!

Sorry just getting carried away here!

3. radioaktivty
    Coat

A five-fingered shuffle is mandatory?

I have four fingers and a thumb on each hand. Parsing what a five-fingered shuffle may entail, well, lets just not go there eh?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Windows 8 will show where it likes to be touched"

UUUUUUUUURRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!

<cue sound of cat being sick />

5. b166er

So long the 3 fingered salute then?

Just the 2 fingers from now on.

6. Wombling_Free
    Thumb Down

Does this mean even more bloody stickers?

The last PC laptop I bought (and it will be my last PC laptop, it's Apple from now on) was plastered with about 8 stickers telling me a) what I already knew - it has an intel chip? NO SHIT! and b) nothing else useful.

Most of the stickers were easy to remove, but the three that said 'Windows Compatible', 'Windows Ready' and 'Windows 7' were stuck on with the glue that held tiles on the space shuttle. Removing them (well, attempting to) also removed the top coat of lacquer from the shiny plastic casing, somewhat marring my brand new laptop.

What was the point of a slick, shiny (it is an ASUS) laptop that was designed to look good, if it is then plastered with unremovable garish advertising?

So now with "Touch me, touch me, I want to feel your ....." * stickers all over it, I presume Windows 8 machines will look like a small slab of a Bangkok alleyway on your desk.

Apple, you just got a new convert.

* - apologies to Samantha Fox.

1. Androgynous & Awkward

Convertee?

Well, hopefully when manbags are out of fashion you'll be back.

2. Chemist

last PC laptop I bought

I used the "Windows inside" sticker to adorn the lid of a waste bin

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
        Headmaster

butt shirley

Never seen a "windows inside" sticker, was it not "Intel Inside" or "Windows Vista Compatible", the latter definitely one to put on a waste bin.

I made one that said “MVS Inside” and stuck it on my work computer, confused the hell out of a couple of the business people when they saw that when I had mainframe session open as well!

1. Chemist

Definitely not Intel inside..

but otherwise I can't check as the waste bin in question is ~900 miles away at the mo.

May have been "Designed for WIndows XP" or some such nonsense.

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

The stickers are there for retail display purposes. When Joe Public is browsing laptops he may go for the one with the most features and it must be that more stickers seems to mean more features?

7. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

Where to touch became secret, magical knowledge?

"occulted by the furore over the encrypted boot on ARM devices" - really?

Yep, the hooded robe and silver dagger, it's the only way to make it work.

1. Bumpy Cat
      Headmaster

As a verb

As a verb, occult simply means to something is hidden by something else. You could even say an eclipse is caused by one celestial body occulting another.

The hidden knowledge thing came about because magical knowledge has to be secret, or people would know it isn't really magic ;)

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Joke

secret magical knowledge, robed wizards

I thought this article was about windoze not *nix.

8. Fred M

Windows stickers

I found a great use for those stickers. A friend's mac laptop looked great with "Designed for Windows XP" on it.

Anyway, back to the point of the article. Yeah. Showing where the NFC is is simple and useful. If Apple had done it then it would be viewed as a (probably patented) miracle of usability.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't touch it at all...

... given the choice.

And thereby lies the problem.

10. Natalie Gritpants
    Thumb Down

Only five

I have five fingers and a thumb on each hand you insensitive clods! (Icon inaccurate too)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is your father

also your brother?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like