back to article Alleged Muscovite cybercrime daddy hauled in to face US court

A suspected Russian cyber-crook has arrived in the US to face charges of security fraud, computer hacking and ID theft following his deportation from Switzerland. Vladimir Zdorovenin, 54, of Moscow, Russia, is alleged to have masterminded a series of credit card theft and stock manipulation scams in conjunction with his son, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Devil

I think SOPA has it backwards. We should invert the firewalls and block all traffic from the states. Then they can sit there happily with their draconian laws, TSA screeners and Movie industry pundits. They need us more than we need them. Time the only remaining Superpower began to realize that.

1. Mectron

Arrest the real USA mastermind Criminals

The entire MPAA/RIAA membership.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Seriously, is that the best you can do?

Seriously, is that the best you can do? You cannot work up any more vitriol that that? What kind of European are you, man? This is AMERICA, THE ULTIMATE EVIL(TM) we are talking about here? If you cannot work up a better hate then that you're going to lose your license!

I mean really, not one GITMO reference - not one intimation that these poor souls who did nothing wrong but anger THE GREAT WHITE SATAN are going to be "disappeared" into that Caribbean Gulag, never to be seen again? For shame!

And not one mention of how they were snatched from Switzerland, just like poor Julian is afraid of being? How can you miss such a golden opportunity to play on the fears of another good, just, and honorable person persecuted by the EEEEEEEEVIIIIIIIL US!

No assertions that this whole thing is a ruse by the US to distract the world from our role in the grounding of the cruse liner (There was a GPS on board, wasn't there? And it was steered right into the rocks - coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!!!) Or that this is revenge for the poor Russians daring to suggest we damaged their Mars probe with our "radar" (which obviously must be more of an cross between SDI/Star Wars and a mind control raygun).

No mention of how some septics (after all, it's OK to make fun of us, even if we aren't allowed to reciprocate) are voting for a man who wants to be an EEEEVIIIILLLLL Isolationist (Dr. Paul) - HOW DARE WE WANT TO NOT BE INVOLVED WITH WORLD AFFAIRS!

Get yourself a proper lather up! After all, wouldn't the world be better if we JUST WENT AWAY (the previous paragraph notwithstanding - after all, consistency with respect to the US is not only not required, but actively discouraged!)

3. ArmanX
      Mushroom

Yeah! The US should be completely cut off from the rest of the world! And not just Internet - everything! I mean, who needs Apple, Google, Microsoft, Firefox, or Wikipedia? And no more Valve (or Steam). No more Amazon or eBay. No more Newegg, or Thinkgeek. No more Dell or HP - or Intel, or nVidia, or AMD, either!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well, actually, I'd be happy if there was just a bit of symmetry coming from that corner.

If the US wants us to consider their laws in other nations, some respect for the sovereignty of other nations would not go amiss either. If they wanted their frequent excuse of Human Rights to carry any further weight they would be well advised to stop secret renditions and Gitmo-compatible prisons spread across the globe. If they want passenger list for incoming travel to the US I think the supplying nations should be entitled to receive the outbound data - after all, the 9/11 guys actually lived inside the US..

The problem is that the good from the US is losing the volume battle with the crap that leaks across the borders. RIAA, MPAA, Anti terror as excuse to break privacy and human rights, a global economic crisis, Microsoft, Facebook - where does it end? (yes, that's slightly tongue in cheek, but it's a serious issue).

2. ArmanX

"..let's not ignore the facts that technological progress is: a) a process with a considerable degree of intertwining between the respective actors, b) characterized with the phenomenon that the causative agent is more often pent up demand which effects an emergence of new technology, rather than a whim of some singular, irreplaceable genius?"

That is actually the point I was trying to make. However you feel about the US, it has contributed mightily to the Internet as it is today, both in technology and in content. Not all of it good, but then, no country can say that. But cutting off a country because you don't agree with it puts you in the same camp as the SOPA/PIPA supporters.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Feel free of not blocking all that cybercrime from Russia and Cina... SOPA and PIPA are bad laws, but Russia and Cina total lack of crime control (as long as it is good for their respective government) is not good either.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

in Russia he would

Have been protected!

If Switzerland allow extradition then what hope is there for the rest of us in the UK?

2. Yag
    Trollface

Feels deja-vu...

"compromised brokerage accounts were used to purchase shares held by the pair at ramped-up (artificially inflated) prices."

Isn't it the modus operandi for Twitter/Groupon/Facebook IPOs?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hang him by his thumbs

Hang him by his thumbs for a month or two before trial and then proceed to prosecute him.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

You're far too gentle - I would have chosen other body parts to hang him by..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He needs time to think about his actions

You want the perp to have time to think about his worthless life, that's why you use the thumbs. It doesn't mean you can't whack him upside his head once or twice a day or kick him in the balls.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like