back to article Fresh Apple lawsuits target 15 Samsung gadgets

Apple is having another go at Samsung, telling a German court that it thinks ten of the South Korean giant's phones ape its established design language. It's going after five Samsung tablets too, in a separate action. The iPhone maker wants the Dusseldorf Regional Court to ban the allegedly offending gadgets from sale, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

If at first you succeed to FAIL....

.....FAIL, FAIL and FAIL again.

1. LarsG

WHERE HAVE.....

All the downvoters gone? Has El Reggae managed to introduce an algorithm preventing apple devices posting?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

design language?

Although I am loath to put something I love and Apple together, this just reminds me of the 1st series of Red Dwarf where the cat was played like a cat and he was going around marking his territory:

Black - That's mine

Rounded corners - That's mine

Buttons - That's mine

icons - That's mine too

in fact everything around here is mine and you monkey boys better keep off it

3. CarlC

Well at least we know why Apple products have 'Premium' pricing..... those lawyers cost loads

4. Conrad Longmore
    Thumb Down

For f**k's sake..

For f**k's sake, give it a rest Apple.

5. dotdavid
    Devil

Patent

Someone should patent "the use of English words in a description of a product or service, in order to increase usability for English-speaking users".

Then it wouldn't just be "design language" (a strategy boutique phrase if I've ever heard one) they could sue people about.

Spawn of satan == patent trolls.

6. g e

Jesus Christ, Apple

Just FUCK OFF already, you total arseclowns

FFS, if they put the same energy into actually creating shit as they do lawyering at the people who do... (as opposed to recombining existing shit in slightly different ways and putting a faux brushed aluminium PNG on it)

On the up side, though, it makes me REALLY want to buy Samsung gear if it has Apple in this much of a hissy fit... Samsung may as well give their marketing dept the rest of the year off, it's being done for them!

1. Darryl

You're right - it's giving Samsung huge piles of publicity. I'll bet it may just start filtering down to the 'average users' that hey, maybe the reason Apple is suing Samsung (Motorola, HTC, Dell, Exxon, McDonalds, etc.) might just be because Samsung makes better products than Apple and Apple can't compete with them on a level playing field.

Before all the Apple fans start foaming, I'm not saying that Samsung makes better stuff than Apple - in my opinion, they're both about the same, it's just a matter of preference. I'm just saying that Apple is starting to look like they're scared and asking the teacher to make the bully stop picking on them, and you've got to think that's making average people wonder why.

1. g e

Absolutely

This is so far past the Streisand Effect it needs it own name.

I'm sure El Reg'ers will have plenty of suggestions!

2. John Tserkezis

"I'm just saying that Apple is starting to look like they're scared and asking the teacher to make the bully stop picking on them, and you've got to think that's making average people wonder why."

It's not even like that. This is more like the kindergarten classes where "everybody wins" by devloping games that have no goals, no winners, no losers and7 no-one inbetween.

Well, sorry Apple, you can't have that because real life doesn't work that way.

You don't have the right to forcibly restructure all the other busines's just because you're not wining today.

Suck it up and deal with the internals of your own company. And stop whining like bloody children because "that other boy" is always better with the soccer ball than you are. Wimps.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hell yes!

>Just FUCK OFF already, you total arseclowns

That just says it all for me. Sir.... your a genius!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do they not realise what they are doing to their image?

Or am I the only one who is thinking that I'll never buy another apple product? I really like my MacBook and iPad and iPhone but I don't think I'll bother with anything else. Completely stupid thing to do, they need to try and innovate and win on merit, not on law suits. Dick heads.

1. technohead95
      Unhappy

Unfortunately...

...the average iPhone and iPad user is not too technical and probably doesn't pay much attention to all the patent wars going on in the tech world. The odd bit of news that does hit the main stream news is probably glossed over.

It's sad that so many consumers do not look past the shiny polish of Apple's products. Apple is a company that is destroying competition, limiting user choice and forcing steep prices on consumers, if only the consumers knew the truth before buying. Buying products from Apple is basically encouraging Apple to continue in this manner.

2. Lord Midas
      Mushroom

Never bought an Apple product...

...and never will.

They sure look pretty, but that company sucks the the winnetts out of a skanky arse with their business practices.

I sit next to an Apple fanboi at work and I'm sure he's starting to see just what a fucksocks company Apple are becoming.

Grow up Apple, you can't win the market by sueing every other company out of business. Deal with it, you don't make the greatest end-all products you think you do.

8. Monty Burns

Funny aint it....

A few years ago, even a few months ago, these comment pages would have been full of fanboys (both Sammy and Apple) shouting at each other.....

yet today, whats the general theme?

Every post up to the point i've posted this "STOP IT, just STOP IT Apple" (polite version)

Its good to see all the fanboys clubbing together on some agreed ground, finaly ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

here here. a few lawsuits fair enough, but the downright vindictivenes of apples lawyers is taking the shine off of any of their achievements. it's about time the consumers took a bite out of the other side of that apple and brought them back down to size. i for one am with samsung for the simple reason that they make good kit - with or without apple.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dismissed

Forgive me if i am wrong but i don't beleive apple invented the mobile phone and yet they make a lot of money from other peoples hard work too? if my galaxy s2 resembled an iphone i'd have binned the fucking thing by now. case dismissed.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two words spring to mind

Off and fuck, although not necessarily in that order.

11. f1rest0rm

OFFS ...

One of the reasons for getting my SGS2 is that it clearly isn't an iPhone to look at ....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was playing with a white S2 the other day, and the 1 single thing that struck me about it was that it looked nothing like any other phone I'd ever seen.

Its a curious looking thing.

13. DEAD4EVER
    WTF?

apple v samsung part 3

omg you cant be serious apple just doesn't give up they clearly are desperate and sad from apple this like. I mean when s it gonna end apple tried to stop Motorola in the us but the court over ruled it saying they were not infringing patents. apple get this message there not infringing got it its called competition. absolutely pathetic apple.

14. Dave 15

When pointing gun at your foot its best not to keep shooting

So first the 'copied' the design, then after they changed it a little they were 'copying the design language', next it will be how dare they make a phone... Too far. As many have said if they went and designed a decent product it would be a better use of energy.

Lets face it if they are afraid of copies there are two ways to go

a) You put a lot of effort into looking at your competitions devices, deciding how you could tackle them, going to court to try and persuade someone else you are right. At the same time noticing how many people you alienate and the free publicity you give to the copies - which are normally cheaper - or the other devices in the category which might even be better than yours.

b) You put your effort into producing something the customer really wants or is a totally new wonderful invention, you launch that device and at a stroke make the copies and competitors obsolete and undesirable.

If you keep doing (b) your product will get better and better, unless you are stupid enough to give the competition an early heads up or tell them how you managed to do it they will spend time trying to copy you, by the time they have perfected it you have moved on and they still can['t catch you.

Strangely Apple are going for (a) - something which ultimately won't succeed.

1. BitDr

Even more strangely..

Of the two options that Dave 15 posted, Apple traditionally went with option 'b', which is why the iPhone is/was so popular. They seem to have lost, along with Steve Jobs, their creative spark.

15. thomas newton

AC - 'Or am I the only one who is thinking that I'll never buy another apple product?'

I never even bought the first one.

typed on my Windows PC, with my Galaxy S2 being charged from it's USB port.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

Shame really....

No one really looks at the "total cost of ownership" for Apple devices. Sure, the device may be of similar price ($500 iPad2 for instance), but when you tack on extra costs (+16GB internal flash due to not having a microSD slot, +$100-$200), cost of HDMI adapter dongle (~$50), i-branded docking stations/speakers/carkits/etc (outrageous), they start to lose their appeal.

The only thing levied against Android in TCO was user time (to root the phone, flash CyanogenMod, etc etc as desired). Personally, it works* out of the box for 99% of people, as does the iPhone

* for varying degrees of "works" (functionality, capability, appearance, universality and connectivity)

16. fLaMePrOoF
    Flame

I really FUCKING HATE Apple.

17. Keep Refrigerated
    Joke

Apple obviously don't read El Reg forums...

Or they would have sued by now over the nice shiny new buttons with rounded edges.

1. kain preacher

Oh look they are suing Samsung and Motorola . I wounder who is next TI, IBM. How insane do you have to be to sue Samsung and Motorola if you are making cell phones. I'm sure between the two they can find enough patents to shut you down.

18. Philippe
    WTF?

Apple surely isn't doing it for the money

Those lawyers cost millions and all Apple seems to be trying to do is to get some products banned.

When they succeed (as in the case of Samsung or HTC in Germany, Netherlands or Australia), the competitor just makes a subtle hardware of software change and the product is back on sale.

They should go the Microsoft way and asks 10 bucks for every product sold by Android manufacturers. They would make some money and slow down the other guys at the same time.

One thing nobody mentioned is that competition is about doing things differently and letting the buyer decides.

In the mobile phone world everyone seems to imitate everyone else, The only buyer choice seems to be the cost of the device.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

apples

All of this suing by Apple is starting to get annoying. If Apple put the money they spend in lawyers trying to eliminate all competition into making a truly superior product, they would have a winner. All of this trying to eliminate competition tells me that Apple must have an inferior product that can't stand competition. I don't know, I own an Android.

20. pullenuk

rotten apples

How long before the likes of HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Microsoft, Google, Asus etc etc will do the decent thing and team up for once and all together put a lawsuit in against apple?

So easy to do and it would destory apple. The amount of patents combined with just two or three companies is enough to stop apple selling a single iwhatever on the planet.

21. Steven Roper
    Devil

Give them enough rope

and they'll hang themselves.

The more Apple do this, the more they'll damage their image and drive people away from their products. I've noticed lately that a lot of fanbois are going quiet because owning Apple products is rapidly becoming a synonym for uncool. More and more people are waking up to the fact that Apple are fucking scumbags and so are those who support them.

Samsung and the others most likely aren't wasting money on suing Apple because the Cupertino Cockheads are digging their own grave for free.

22. openminded
    Flame

apple is get in the way of apple!

the problem with apple is that its too controlling. it proves a concept works but thinks it has the right to control it, and expect others to just sit idle. apple would have been sitting on profits ten times more if it wasn't too controlling to license its ios platform.

apple is scare of android especially if android/google can get its game right. apple idevice maybe the best selling products now but that won't be for long.idevices show that u a member of a club,android devices expresses ur individuality. which will people want in the long run?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like