back to article Nissan unveils 'self-healing' iPhone case

Japanese automaker Nissan's European arm is migrating the company's "pioneering self-healing paint" to the world of pocketable shiny-shiny, introducing an iPhone case that removes its own scratches with nary a buff nor a polish. "The Scratch Shield iPhone case is a great example of us taking a Nissan automotive technology that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, but

who's going to walk around with "Nissan Juke" printed on the side of their phone?

1. shyted
      Paris Hilton

Thats ok you can just scratch it off... Doh

2. JDX Gold badge

Anyone got a (speeded up) video link?

1. Lizard

Video of the 'healing'

here's a quick clip of the same kind of paint 'healing' an Infiniti bonnet after a wire-brushing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQIsEa4p5mk

3. Armando 123
    Trollface

I can see it now

It's from Nissan. So it will be very well made, have good performance, be very reliable, and I just don't WANT one.

4. Bryan Ansell
    FAIL

But, but, but...

A mate of mine deliberately scratches the cases of his phones - and how, butterfly knives and all - to make them less nickable. Now what's he to do?

1. handle

Don't leave them around...

...in places where they will get nicked?

2. Ru
      Trollface

Easy

Just write 'NISSAN JUKE' on the side in big white letters; guaranteed to render it unpleasing to the eye and uninteresting to the thief.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really?

Sounds like a bit of an arsehole to me quite frankly!

5. Martin Edmondson

does this not feature as paint on the actual nissan juke?

6. ElNumbre
    Stop

Also available in black...

Its not self-healing at all. They just crammed on so many gaudy logo's that no-one will notice the scratches.

7. Arctic fox

I have a really radical suggestion. How about manufacturing the phone in a fashion......

..........that makes it less vulnerable to scratches? That would surely be more efficient than after-market solutions? Nokia's polycarbonate cases are one example - you really have to do some damage before it shows.

1. Andy Mac
      WTF?

Indeed

It's not like the materials don't exist. I had a little iRiver about 8 years ago that spent a year bouncing around in my pocket with all my lose change. After the battery gave out (which I'm sure has nothing to do with the case material) it spent the next 6 years or so in a variety of junk boxes. When I finally threw it away, there was nary a scratch on the case or screen. Shame the same couldn't be said for any iDevice.

Why do we have to buy scratch-free covers for our devices when they could be manufactured to a better quality? (Rhetorical).

8. Silverburn
    Terminator

And so it begins

Forward a few years and Skynets minions will be using the derivatives of this stuff.

Though I suspect even Skynet knows Nissan Jukes are the campest vehicles on the road, and that part will get dropped sharpish.

9. Filippo Silver badge

I want one of these covers just to try to persuade less tech-savvy friends that it works through nanobots.

1. Mr Young
      Joke

That'll be...

...the nanobots in your head making you think that!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now your phone can have Nissan's trademark orange-peel paint effect and every part can be a slightly different shade.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The biggest waste of time!

The iPhone I meant.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like