back to article Steve Jobs action figure kicks the bucket

The Steve Jobs action figure project has been killed, although this time there was no "Oh Wow" moment, and the move was hardly a shocker. The 12in figurine drew much attention when Chinese sculpture maker InIcons announced plans to bring the 'GI Jobs' to retail in February. Unsurprisingly, Apple got rather annoyed about the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Northern Fop
    Trollface

Fools and their money

For the price they're asking on ebay, I'd expect his mummified corpse in a Swarovski encrusted display case, not a naff Action Man(TM) with specs.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why waste money buying this to stick pins in

when he is already burning in Hell?

1. Greg J Preece

1) You're being an unnecessary level of dick.

2) No such thing as hell.

3) This is a story on El Reg about an action figure. Calm down.

1. Chris Miller

Not according to J-P Sartre

L'enfer c'est les autres. (Huis-clos)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

1) You're being an unnecessary level of sanctimonious

2) Prove that? Put up or shut up..

3) Try following your own advice.

1. Shakje

@cornz1

I'll bite.

1) You're a star-nosed mole in a laboratory being stimulated to think you're at a computer.

2) If you're not, prove that. Put up or shut up.

3) Try reading what he said.

There's no such thing as unicorns, leprechauns, jabberwockies, dragons, or hell. I base that statement on the level of proof supporting each one, and as a statement that it's incredibly unlikely that any of them exist (I'll leave open a small possibility that they do, but for all intents and purposes that's the definition of saying something doesn't exist). Do you believe in unicorns? Can you prove that? If you can then there's no point discussing anything with you, if you can't and accept that they don't exist (or that the possibility of them existing is infinitesimally small) just apply the same logic to hell. If you want to believe that something exists without any rational reason to do so, go for it, but don't get all offended when people apply the same logic to it as they do to every other imaginary thing in the history of humanity (even in belief-circles it's a bit hit and miss what they believe about hell, and scripturally it's not got the best representation really).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

There may be no such things as Jabberwocks or Unicorns now ...

But there were things once, in the distant past, that would have made either of those items look rather harmless and boring.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Flame

Yawn....

But, if i must...

Whats a star nosed mole got to do with the state of the weather...

Cogito ergo sum.

I did....

And the "There's no such thing" line. Thats a pretty definitive statement, but to then admit its "incredibly unlikely" simply proves you doubt your own argument.

And with that, your honour i went back to doing something more interesting.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Sod that! What El Reg needs is ...

...the Playmobil Steve Jobs.

That is all.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

But but but...

What am I now going to put on my SJ altar in the entrance hall? All the iThingies are in place, all I needed was the iDoll.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What am iNow going to put on my SJ altar in the entrance hall? All the iThingies are in place, all iNeeded was the iDoll.

There, fixed that for you.

5. JDX Gold badge

Might be worth a fortune one day...

... small pre-run of cancelled product.

1. Ben 42

Sounds like it already is

At least by my standards that's a fortune for a doll.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1)Agree

2)Disagree

3)This is a story on El Reg about an action figure. Less of the theological debate please.

7. Mick F

Action Figure!?

What did it do - wheeze?

Never seen such an inactive person in my life. Even when healthy he made skeletons look fit.

1. deains
      Unhappy

Yep

Cancer does that.

1. Mick F

I did say - "even when healthy"

8. b166er

Did Apple pay them not to do it?

9. Vic

Who would have bought this anyway?

Really? Would anyone have bought one?

I can't imagine the market is big enough to recoup the tooling costs.

Vic.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Respect? Balls!

You milked the PR for all it's worth for your company and now there is no need to sell this item as you've got a load of interest about the other tat you no doubt sell.

11. Jedit Silver badge
    Joke

"Steve Jobs action figure kicks the bucket"

Wow - it's even more realistic than I thought!

Yeah, yeah, I know...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Steve Jobs action figure kicks the bucket"

Next month: Steve Ballmer action figure throws the chair!

12. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Gimp

Lets see... To put the story in context we have a piece of legally contested gear, associated with Apple, that has limited functionality, is in short supply and as a result prices are being driven up to ridiculous levels.

<deadpan>

That has never happened before.

</deadpan>

13. Gordon Fecyk
    Black Helicopters

Unreported bribe or threat?

"we have decided to completely stop the offer, production and sale of the Steve Jobs figurine out of our heartfelt sensitivity to the feelings of the Jobs family."

These guys forgot Rule of Acquisition 162. Or... maybe they remembered Rules 98 and 125. I smell an unreported act.

14. Paul Bruneau

Oh wow, give it a rest

OK, after the first 10 or 20 articles it wasn't so bad, but are you going to put "oh, wow" into every article about Jobs?

It was one the last things he said, but it's just not that funny. When you sit by the bedside of a dying person they say all kinds of odd things.

Give it a rest

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"When you sit by the bedside of a dying person they say all kinds of odd things"

I think THAT might be what El Reg is taking the piss out off: not what he said, but how it's been taken by others to mean so much?

1. Paul Bruneau

Possibly

But the Reg is the only place I see making a big deal out of "oh wow", so hopefully they will take the piss out of themselves.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

don't you get that the oh wow piss take is not about what steve jobs said, but is about the ridiculous connotations that the media and all others have attached to it.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I find interesting...

is that there are two auctions, by two different "sellers" yet VERY similiar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LE-Steve-Jobs-icons-12-Collectible-Action-Figure-1st-Batch-SOLD-OUT-NIB-/370576347948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564812532c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LE-Steve-Jobs-icons-12-Collectible-Action-Figure-1st-Batch-SOLD-OUT-PREORDER-/140683579756?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c165116c

Really hate when poeple do that., its obvious that both are the same person as both accounts seem to sell the same type of items in previous auctions.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only thing you can purchase from ebay is TAT!

Here's another demo of that.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thou shalt not worship false iDolls.

18. Doug Glass
    Go

Optional

BFD. Who needs another prick anyway?

19. Jemma
    FAIL

awww..

.. and I was so looking forward to live action Steve Jobs guro....

There is a hell btw, its called Luton, Bedfordshire.

If destroying peoples privacy was classified as a crime against humanity, this guy would have been one of the people up against the wall.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Aw crap...

Now what am I gonna do with the model sheep I bought to go with it?

21. JDX Gold badge

Use your imagination.

But as a starter for 10 you could get them to post cookie-cutter anti-Google, anti-Apple, anti-MS messages in every thread mentioning any of those companies.

22. dssf

Just make a George Clooney doll replete with

the articles of clothing, but give the user a valve control to unpuff Clooney's face.

When I was a kid, I had a Kirk figure and Superman, IIRC. It was kinda funny pressing inward on the ears to change the facial expression when adlibbing dialog for the dolls. But, there was no way to keep the face skinny, and i didn't run any pins or rods thru them with bolts.... Nowadays, someone can manufacture expandable/skinny-capable dolls.

I suppose it wouldn't be PC to make AB dolls, though...

But, from $100 to $2500? WOW! Talk about inflation/markup/profiting/profiteering.... a tidy ROI in any case!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd happily paste any tw t who purchases one of these monstrosities!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like