back to article GAME: Our website wasn't hacked!

Video games purveyor GAME says it has not been hacked after reports yesterday claimed that the retail biz had suffered a security breach. A list that purported to be 200 email addresses and unprotected clear text passwords from GAME was posted on Pastebin, sparking widely reported hacking fears on Monday. However, after …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Posting fake user details online is the modern equivalent of ordering 10 pizzas to come to your boss' house.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn

I rather wish that they had been, given their unsavoury habit of leaning on publishers to prevent or delay them selling titles via digital distribution mechanisms. Anyone who has ever dealt with their flaky mail order, or their nasty chav-packed shops would probably see why they're so worried, mind.

GAME (and remember kids, caps lock is CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL) aren't very nice.

1. toadwarrior
      Thumb Down

digital copies before physical copies

Retailers may lean on publishers not to release digital copies first but publishers have been leaning on (and punishing) retailers that sell before the street date so I believe that's fair to expect the digital copy to sell at the same time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I believe that's fair to expect the digital copy to sell at the same time.

The allegation is that GAME have been twisting the arms of publishers to delay the Steam release by anything up to a month *after* the general release date.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The allegation is that GAME have been twisting the arms of publishers to delay the Steam release by anything up to a month *after* the general release date."

An alligation(spelt wrong, typing quick :P) which they activly came out and said was untrue (this being i'm guessing THQ's games, oddly THQ released there own digital distribution system around the same time but no-one thought that these two things could be linked in a simlar manner to what ea are doign with origin) , which afaik in business is something you DON'T do if you are actually doing something naughty in this area, as shareholders are ok with you ignoring stuff and peopel moaning (the classic no comment at this time, or the "apple"), but saying your not doing somethign you are doing somethign gets the law involved and shareholders don't like that.

That said i havn't heard any 100% evidence to say tht they have or havn't done this thing, and short of internal documents we will never know :/

2. Alex King
      Facepalm

And that justifies compromising the personal details of ayone with the misfortune to buy something from their website? My brain hurts trying to understand your values system.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, but what of the accounts?

Assuming that the list hasn't just been completely made up, I wonder how many of those passwords work to log into the respective hotmail or gmail accounts?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was probably a Hedge Fund

With a large short position in Game Shares

5. ThePlanMan
    Unhappy

I strongly take offence to the wording of that canned statement from Game. It implies that pastebin is responsible for the leak, rather than the user who posted it. Right when the anti-SOPA movement is about as well, very poor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Blame that on the PR department mangling the communication. The sysadmins at Game know what they are doing and what pastebin is.

6. Mako

Hmm.

1) Release bogus user credentials.

2) Wait for company to release statement that "The credentials are false, and you know why? Because we take security seriously. Don't worry, you're all safe."

3) Wait for dust to settle.

4) Hack company for real and post customer data on Pastebin.

5) Point and laugh.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like