back to article Ten... stars of the Consumer Electronics Show

CES 2012 Week Las Vegas, gambling’s natural home played host to 2012 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) this week. Here, the technology giants placed their bets and showed their hands with the launch of hundreds, nay thousands, of new technology products. On the table, PC manufacturers were upping the stakes with Ultrabooks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

If those are the stars...

NT

2. Cunningly Linguistic
    Boffin

The Nikiski picture

I can't help but see the parallel, from times gone by, with the pictures of Rolf Harris advertising the Stylophone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Or perhaps Citizen Smith?

Seriously, in 2011, a middle-aged bald bloke has been allowed to go on stage and promote product while wearing a Kangol cap backwards? He probably also listens to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Doesn't he have any friends who can have a quiet word with him?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Ok, it's bad but...

The alternative is scantily clad presentation bunnies of asian descent just barely not showing pubes.

Do we want that?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Is this a trick question...?

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

To sum up

So the best from CES - the world's biggest gadget show - was a bunch of computers and tellies. With a (admittedly veeeeery cool) RC helicopter and toy guitar to mix it up a bit.

4. This Side Up
    Stop

High end audio company Behringer?

Oh come on! Behringer is not high end. They make low cost, let's say "equivalents" of other people's designs. Good value for money, but not high end.

1. The Cube
      FAIL

Sad comment on the state of audio in the days of the iCrap

You see, the "journalist" thinks that any company which makes more than just iPod docks and squeaky little single driver speakers with nasty subwoofers farting out one note of bass must be "high end". Pity the poor plebe who has never actually heard anything "HiFi" in his life.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Register journalist in writing down what the person running the stand at CES told them about a company they don't know anything about SHOCKER"

Then again, anyone who's taking advice on buying audio gear from the Reg is on a hiding to nothing anyway. They're wonderful at a lot of things, but take them outside their comfort zone and they're as credulous as the next man...

5. shooi

Is that it...?

So we're looking at a couple of laptops, a couple of TVs, an acknowledgement that they've messed up with the current one, a toy, a flying thing and something that'll never be made.

#disappointing...

1. Thomas 4
      IT Angle

You missed a golden opportunity El Reg

If there was a product worth mocking at CES this year, it had to be Razer's Project Fiona with it's deadly serious trailer video - those who have seen it will know what I mean.

For those that haven't, Project Fiona is Razer's attempt at "mobile PC gaming", which in this case consists of a tablet with two Wii-mote lookalikes strapped to its sides. The net result looks hideously unergonomic, in addition to just being hideous.

Nice try Razer but I think I'll stick with my own method of "mobile PC gaming". It's called a laptop. Perhaps you've heard of them.

6. PhilBack
    FAIL

Hugely disappointing

A large TV, a bunch of laptops and some gadgets that will gather dust.

I guess that the gold rush is over and this is all mainstream by now with only incremental improvements instead of innovation.

Maybe biotech will bring us some consumer fun... Well, until Deux Ex era comes to reality that is...

7. Bad Beaver
    FAIL

Good it's over

Finally. That Endless stream of boredom cluttered up my RSS. Only thing of interest was bigger OLED screens. It's about the only thing that could persuade me to buy a TV again.

8. Mystic Megabyte
    Coat

Fast Show

I like the colours on the Sony TV but the black, blaaaaaack, blaaaaaaaaack!

<smashes screen with easel>

1. BorkedAgain
      Thumb Up

What's for breakfast, mother?

Maggots on toast?

2. Luke McCarthy

Johnny

I think it's time to go home now.

9. Mike Judge
    FAIL

fail

Didn't list new Xperias, and included an Intel ultrabook promoted with a faked demo (Kinect style)

10. Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Behringer, please!

Please do not refer to Behringer as "high-end" audio. I work professionally in sound, and trust me when I say Behringer are an industry wide joke. They make cheap naff sounding knock offs of other good designs, make them look similar and assume joe Bloggs won't be able to tell they sound awful.

11. Wile E. Veteran
    Thumb Down

Keyboards

More of those fscking chiclet-style keyboards on expensive ultrabooks. Yecch! Wish I could figure out how to stuff a modern motherboard into the ancient Dell CPi gathering dust in the Bat Cave. It may not be "slim and light" but it has a damned good keyboard (for a laptop).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Disgusting!

That Behringer iAxe makes me SO mad.

There's a perfectly good bit of technology already available that allows people to learn the guitar and it's called a guitar. You can buy for £99 with an amplifier from that well known auction site! It has touch and feel and the required tactile feedback from the strings. Play the iAxe and all you're learning to do is play the iAxe not a guitar. I'm off to placate my Les Paul and my Strat now ... they're moaning in pain!

1. Marty
      Trollface

you are forgetting one thing.....

you are forgetting one thing.....

before you waste some cash on a iAxe, you need to own a iPad and a iPhone.....

n other words a apple fanboi who is already skilful in the art of wasting money on over priced bits of kit.

13. Wanda Lust
    Stop

Follow Cupertino's example: don't go.

Nothing really innovative except, maybe, the OLED TVs.

What's the point of an Ultrabook when there's Air & that Intel "concept"? Concept models are the antithesis of innovation, just decide what you're going to build & build it. CES isn't the Detroit or Geneva Motor Show, it's a gadget fest.

Asus publicly demonstrating how to execute an epic fail with Transformer line. The TF201 is nowhere to be seen since the pre-orders cleaned out first UK shipment due last week & now they've announced another, bigger, better Prime 700 already for Q2. That's stellar: create obvious demand, fractionally fulfil & then rub early customer's nose in poo (I recall same thing with their 1st gen 701 netbooks in early '08 where customers waited 4 and 5 months for orders to fulfil).

Note: not a fanboi - no iThings or Macs here - gotta admire their execution though.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3D?

Are they really still trying to flog that old crap?

1. Marty
      Facepalm

ugh....

just because you are not a fan of 3d doesn't mean its crap...

I bought a 3d tv a few months back, I wasn't really bothered about the 3d part of it, but what I was interested in is that the processing power required for 3d, in general makes for a better quality 2D HD picture which I can confirm to be true....

after trying out 3d, the problem is not with the technology, its with the film makers use of it. I have seen some very good and some very poor moves. but by far the best is watching the football or other sports in 3d...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No

The problem with 3D is the frame rate. Once you take the normal movie frame rate and half it so that you have an image for each eye then any major movement falls apart for me at least and becomes a jumble of colours.

3D today is the epitome of "nice idea, come back when you get it working".

15. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Boring...

Laptop, laptop, laptop, laptop, laptop. "Silicon-Carbi...YAWN..." (Clarkson).

With respect to the 50-something inch TVs, the 60-inch class (just $999 at Xmas) is the new sweet spot (making it mid-size). "Big" is now the 70+ inch class. Anything in the 50s is obviously intended for a bedroom. ;-)

1. Robert E A Harvey

>Anything in the 50s is obviously intended for a bedroom. ;-)

Don't start all that off again!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone but Sony.

FTR, the Sony boycott isn't over yet.

17. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

Spectre

The HP device is 1,600x900 . And £1200

Thanks but no thamks.

18. b_armitage
    Thumb Down

Behringher = high range?

What credibility for the rest of the recommendations?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Nokia Lumia 900?

Correct decision though!

Hahahahahaha.

20. Silverburn

Asus Pad thingy

Only thing that jumped out was the Asus pad with a Full HD screen? Grand!

Until I realised:

- on a screen that small I'd probably not be able to tell the difference between 1080p or 720p.

- A full quality, un-encrypted movie probably won't fit in the < 32gb of default storage. Never mind 2 or 3.

1. Luke McCarthy

HD screen

I think the main advantages of the 1920x1200 screen will not be watching movies, but web browsing. With the higher pixel density, fonts can be rendered with more accurate shapes and be readable at much smaller size (without zooming).

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"what I was interested in is that the processing power required for 3d, in general makes for a better quality 2D HD picture which I can confirm to be true..."

Or the extra cost of adding 3D made it a worse or expensive 2D set perhaps or are you sure a £800 3D TV is better at 2D than a dedicated £800 2D-only TV?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3D will not reach mainstream acceptance until you do not need those stupid glasses and it does not harm your kids (Nintendo 3DS anyone?). I'm not going to buy 8 sets just so everyone can watch the TV when I invite my friends round.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want 4D will full force feedback to my chair, fans (wind) and smellyvision.

24. Dick0ster
    WTF?

and counting

"Enter the "Crystal LED Display", a 1080p set packed with more than six million "ultrafine" LEDs, three each of red, green and blue hue to create each of the panel's 2m-odd pixels."

"three each of red, green and blue hue": I would say "one"!

1. jolly
      Facepalm

Not at all pedantic

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like