back to article Devolo dLAN 200 AVdesk HomePlug AV network adaptor

Driving data over mains power cables is nothing new, but products based on the latest, fastest incarnation of the HomePlug Ethernet-over-powerline standard have only recently started to appear, over a year after the specification was finalised, in August 2005. The new version of the standard delivers a claimed bandwidth of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John

So it'snot AV at all...

I was rather hoping for a scart/hdmi in one unit scart/hdmi out of the other setup, possibly with IR return.

I think I'll stick to proper ethernet, the mythical device I wanted would be worth having in so many homes - it just doesn't exist yet. Hint hint manufacturers... (Who might also want to add ethernet to the product and use an open data format)

2. Stuart

They work - what more do you want?

@John

What you are describing is a video sender not a ethernet to powerline converter.

Something like what you want exists http://www.onevideo.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=525 don't expect it to be cheap.

When you say you'll "stick to proper ethernet" well that rather defeats the point doesn't it? These devices are designed to allow you to connect ethernet based devices to an ethernet network where there is no direct cat 5 cable connection available. If you had "proper ethernet" available why on Earth do you want to use one of these?

@Everyone else:

I've been using a set of these since December to connect my showcentre 200 and a wireless access point (in the lounge under the TV) to the rest of the network which has most of it's hardware (and broadband access) in the study at the other end of the house. It works flawlessly allowing me to surf wirelessly and watch streamed HD content at the same time.

Out of interest I'm getting between 60 and 65 Mb/s - the house was completely rewired in 2005 which may account for the difference between my results and those of the author.

I can give these devices a big thumbs up. They do work. My only criticism would be that the blue leds are a bit fierce especially when you have one adaptor stuffed down the back of the TV and the lights down low to watch your favourite movie. A bit of cardboard and a roll of bodge tape cures the only flaw in this product very quickly!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ethernet cables

Some people so easily overlook the value of traditional old ethernet cables. I had 4 links laid from my server cupboard to my office in my new flat and it's far better than wireless or powerline as it's at full gigabit over dedicated CAT6 cables. It cost about £80 including labour of an electrician to put in, cable and wall boxes which is a fraction of the cost of powerlines.

Sometimes a simple 5 or 10 metre run of cable is the easiest and most secure option and it's really easy to run round skirting board/architrave or through walls and doors. Even easier if you have dry lined walls.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

D-LINK's powerline adapter is also compatible with NETGEAR's

> Netgear's product has been out for some time,

> getting to market earlier than HomePlug AV-based

> offerings by using an incompatible chipset from DS2

D-LINK (http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=533) also offers a product (DHP-301) based on DS2 chipset, which is compatible with NETGEAR's HDX101.

Both NETGEAR and D-LINK adapters are certified to be compatible with the UPA (Universal Powerline Association) standard.

5. Dave

Solwise, UK offering.

The September 2006 edition of IT Now (p.27) gave a positive review to homeplug turbo offerings from a UK (manufacturer? importer?) called Solwise (solwise.co.uk).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like