back to article WD updates video streamer for Netflix, iPlayer

CES 2012 Week Western Digital has updated its WD TV Live set-top box firmware to support not only BBC iPlayer but also Netflix. WD TV Live video streamer set-top box Netflix kicked off its UK video streaming service yesterday. The jury is still out on whether it offers a better option than the likes of Amazon's Lovefilm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Velv
    Go

When are WD going to bring Lovefilm to the box? Surely Amazon must be keen to get as wide coverage as possible.

WD HD box is excellent btw, and can be had for <£80 from several UK sellers :)

2. Will 19
    Thumb Up

I was just thinking...

... this the other day, that the only thing missing from the box was an iPlayer option. Fantastic little device and so configurable, very impressed. Also got mine for under £80 so they're definitely out there for that price.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

A bloke on a forum (the modern day "Bloke down the pub") says he's just updated and there is no iPlayer to be seen - not hundreds he's in the UK, though..

I also picked mine up for £80 - to go with the 2 original Live HD units we've already got - absolutely love these devices..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Right, he is in the UK, but bought his unit 2nd hand and it has the American model number, so no iPlayer for him..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

itv player 4 od et al..

I have a Samsung tv, a Samsung BR player, and a Pop Box all with iPlayer and YouTube ect, the question is why don't they support ITVplayer, Channel 4 or 5 OD.

Forget 3d TVs, an idiot proof IP TV media player box for £100 or just built into the TV for a small premium that can actually access the services already available on the internet, must be a no brainer.

On another note, its been 12 years since Napster showed that you could deliver content via the internet cheaply, and these days on demand. Why haven't content providers figured out that they can completely by pass the middle men like Sky and sell directly to your customer.

5. Chris D Rogers

Is this good news?

I have a WD TV Live Hub and todate, no firmware upgrade is available - I do hope they release it soon for the WD Live with 1TB HDD, a great little machine if iPlayer attached and usually plays all media formats apart from one I know of.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is one of the things I really dislike about WD - older models just get left behind and don't get updated, not even bug fixes (I work in software, so I kind of understand). That said, the last firmware release for the Live HD works a treat, so I'm not that bothered..

6. Will 19
    Thumb Up

Firmware update

A firmware update came in last night about 6pm. iPlayer has appeared and seems to work well.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couldnt come at a better time!

Was about to spend £200 to replace my ac ryan hd mini with a new acer revo for an htpc (with xbmc and iplayer, and an android remote), but now I can save £120 quid, and numerous hours installing and configuring. Sweet!

8. Jim 59

AV out ?

I see it has AV out. Can I use that to connect it to my old (non HDMI) telly ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like