back to article Dell debuts shrunken Ultrabook

CES 2012 Week Although Intel has been busy faking Ultrabook gaming demos, Dell has been busy working on the real deal. At CES the Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook was unveiled – touted as a “13.3in display machine in near 11-inch form factor”. Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook It sounds a bit TARDIS, but compared with both the Asus Zenbook …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John 62

comparison?

I know the aspect ratios are different, but why not compare it to a 13" MBA?
    1. Darryl
      Yeah, not sure about that one either.... This 13" laptop is nowhere near as small as this 11" laptop. Why not point out that it's bigger than the 10" Asus Eee PC Flare too?
  2. Azzy

Another step in the right direction, this time w/out clown shoes...

Yesterday we saw the HP's glass-covered "14 inch screen in a 13 inch body". A glass covered body.

The "nearly frameless" displays are a great step forward, and I can't wait for the later generations of ultrabooks, where the screens go all the way to the side of the lid (and have touch - after using a tablet, I find myself poking the screen of my Asus UX31, and being disappointed that nothing happens). That said, neither of the ones i've seen make me regret the UX31 - because the resolution on these "oversized" screens is still low. 1376x768 doesn't give enough space for multitasking - and the big pitch about ultrabooks (I thought) was that not only are they super portable, but that they had the capabilities of a full fledged computer.

And... so far the two bigger-screen-for-the-case ultrabooks covered here are from HP and Dell, which both have terrible reputations for laptop reliability (in dell's case, for consumer laptops - I realize their enterprise ones aren't as bad). At least this one doesn't have glass on the palmrest...

3. nextcube
    FAIL

Not as egregious as HP's offering

But still...BIG screen with Lilliputian resolution. Thanks, but no thanks, Dell. You used to be able to get a 1366x768 screen on the Mini 10! Now it's a big deal because they've got a 13" panel at the same resolution? Can't anyone (Dell, HP, etc.) tear down a 13" MBA and find out where Apple sources their LCD panels?

FAIL because, well, large-but-low-res screens are a failure.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like