back to article Taser touts MP3 player that's a real shock to the system

If you feel the lusting eyes of robbers every time you publicly adjust your iPod Touch, then American company Taser International looks set to stun you with its latest offering. The firm is displaying a leopard skin-effect covered taser, dubbed the C2, at this year’s CES show in Las Vegas, which features an optional 1GB Music …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stuart Elliott
    Dead Vulture

Whoops, I guess that's not the Play button?

Can just see it now, while Little Miss American Housewife is fumbling to hit play to listen to favourite track #4 on the train to work and BAM, the guy in the next seat gets blasted with 50,000V of Taser loving..

2. Ryan

And so the Boss glides into mission control,

burbling about his latest gadget.

Only to have the BOFH & PFY show him what a REAL electrical deterrent feels like!

3. Bemi Faison
    Stop

Insane

Not so much barbaric - but how insane are we to continue with such heavy handed band-aids to societal ills?

The longer we ignore the root causes of rising violence (socio-economic, pyschological, familial, etc.), we'll build more menacing weapons. Eventually, in order to protect the "innocent" (also known as the "haves"), we'll allow smiting another's life for their misunderstood (or at worst, inappropriate) action.

Goodness help us.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, my, god

Whatever the designer is smoking, i'll take a tenners worth.

Still, useful if you come into a situation were its "So, whats your Ipod do?" - "Hmmm, about five thousand volts."

5. LaeMi Qian
    Black Helicopters

I was waiting for this.

The RIAA/Taser cross-promotion opportunity, I mean.

6. Chris G

Music soothes the savage breast.

This is what I call civilized violence. Now, whilst your would be attacker lies convulsing on the ground,you can relax him with a selection of suitable music, say Beethoven's ninth or perhaps nineteen(thousand volt) nervous breakdown.

7. Ron Luther
    Coat

Peter Gabriel?

C'mon gang!

Surely 1Gb is enough storage to hold "Shock The Monkey"!

8. J
    Coat

Oh...

It was surely designed for the American market... Ugly thing in "leopard" pattern.

9. Steven Knox
    Jobs Horns

Does the shock....

pulse with the bassline? If not, what's the point?

10. Jeremy
    Coat

Illegal music detected!

zzzzzzzzap!

God, this DRM stuff is really starting to get heavy!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wait

The burberry taser is coming.

12. Bob
    Coat

Depths of Insanity

Bemi, this is by far one of the most ridiculous self defense devices I've ever seen for obvious reasons but your comments about a criminal's "misunderstood (or at worst, inappropriate) action." is just as bad and because you quote the word "innocent" implies that these people are the cause of other people's poor decisions and bad behavior.

Although we can and should study the causes of increased violent behavior to reduce it doesn't mean that doing so will eliminated it. There will always be people (also known as the "have nots") that will lie, cheat, steal, and murder because of their inability to compete in this world regardless of the social class in which they were raised. So there will always be a need for self defense. What are your recommendations?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Stock sell

NOW! look if they have saturated their real market enough to try this as a breakthrough product they are doomed time to sell it has no future. Think combination gun/ cigarette lighter or respirator/ fridge when I see this I know the company can't grow in business.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Taser are for puffters and hair dressers...

The Taser-related death toll, often blamed on 'Excited Delirium' (*), in Canada is up to about 20. And we're not particularly happy about it.

* 'Excited Delirium' is a registered Trademark of Taser International Inc.

15. djh

"Danger! High Voltage!"

Well... Electric Six have already produced the perfect track...

...that is all...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

I hope it's well insulated...

I'd be worried about a device that can pump out 50,000 V at one end while you have the other end plugged into your ears!

Best not use it when it's raining, eh?

17. Jon

This is a good idea

I actually think this is a good idea. With proper training, sensible user background checks and the like, violent crimes could be cut simply by providing an unpleasant deterrent. Yes, it *seems* unpleasant because, after all, aren't we intelligent and civilised beings? Well, Reg. readers may be but the average yob on the street isn't, thats for sure, and I have yet to see any useful crime-cutting initiatives out there. Yes the possibility remains that 'orrible youfs (or is it youves?) may get their hands on the iTaser. Well, they already have knives and guns so that's a step in the right direction, IMO.

This topic is closed for new posts.