back to article Kinect plus tablet control insane skateboard

What do you get when you combine a Kinect, a Samsung tablet and an electric skateboard? Well: it’s really cool, even if the rider looks a bit silly. In this video, Choatic Moon Labs demonstrates its groovy toy, the “Board of Awesomeness”: Chaotic Moon Labs' Board of Awesomeness from Chaotic Moon Studios on Vimeo. Once the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anomalous Cowturd
    Holmes

Or save yourself £200...

By using the throttle that comes with those powered skateboards.

Solution still looking for a problem methinks.

This isn't the problem you are looking for!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

perhaps

But have you seen the video of the F1 driver controlling his car with an iPhone?

I can't wait until they introduce this feature on the 747

1. Eddy Ito
        Coat

Re: perhaps

"I can't wait until they introduce this feature on the 747"

Oh no, I can see it now on the front page, "Flight Unintentionally Commandeered by Kinect: First Class Funky Chicken has Flight Captain Crying Fowl".

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps

Or maybe the Iranians have already developed something similar for commandeering un-manned drones.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Solution still looking for a problem...

inventive fun doesn't need to solve problems.

3. Dan 10
      Happy

I disagree

I see your point when looking specifically at the skatebaord, but the fact that he was using gestures to control a motorised platform rolling alongside him while he walked has many potential applications - it's just a friendly UI for - what? a military or construction bot that transports materials? A shopping trolley for the elderly (replacing those awful tartan things!)? A warehouse forklift? Their point - "to control something other than an avatar", has a lot of potential.

2. OldBiddie
    Meh

If it's anything like my experience with Kinect, I'm surprised he can keep it going in a straight line.

3. Fab De Marco

Soon we can all be jedi

Imagine having that on one of the tarten trollies then simply casting it aside with one swipe of your hand. The possibilites are limitless.

Though military or construction implications would be far fetched. I wouldn't put this kind of tech behind the weel of anything heavy enough to cause a fatality.

4. hazzamon

I wonder what happens...

..when he waves to say hello to a passer-by?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hello to a passer by?

This thing will jut back and forward and his chin will say hello to the curb, probably.

I can't load the video, so I hope his helmet has the lower part.

What, no helmet?

5. The BigYin

Is it just me...

...or do the embedded Vimeo videos not work on El Reg?

1. Ian Watkinson
      FAIL

They work...but very very s---l---o---w----ll--ll--ll--ll---------y with a bit of ju-dddddd-er...

2. Al Jones

It's not just you - I have to right-click the box and select "Play video on vimeo" to see them

6. Mr Larrington
    WTF?

OK, but...

...why on earth does it have knobbly tyres?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Struggling to see the point with this one.

Yeah, yeah, another example of Kinect and a PC being used to replace a button and leaver. Wake me up when something interesting happens.

8. Robert Ramsay
    Happy

Question:

What's the first thing you do if you start to lose your balance? Answer: wave your arms around to try to steady yourself...
  9. Graham Bartlett

@Mr Larrington

Because only a total moron would use anything other than rough-terrain tyres for going over rough terrain at any kind of speed, and a city street counts as rough terrain on the scale of skateboard wheels and wheelbase. Agree with the other posters though - it's an ultra-expensive unreliable solution to a problem that has already been solved reliably and cheaply. Fun but ultimately pointless.
This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like