back to article HP Pavilion dv6 15.6in quad-core notebook

CES 2012 Week Choosing an HP notebook isn’t an easy task, not because they are hard to find - far from it - it’s just the bewildering choice of notebooks you can find in a range. Take the recently refreshed Pavilion dv6-6b series, for example. There are currently a staggering 16 different options in this family alone. HP …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piro Silver badge
    Pint

Oh yeah!

So excited about yet another 15" machine with 1366x768.

At least I'm out of the "looking for a laptop" loop, as I snatched a Dell Precision M4400 from ebay for £300. 2.66 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Quadro FX770M, 1920x1200 screen. Threw in a 120GB SSD, and it's all the laptop I could possibly want.

1. Ray 11

Agreed, since I had my dell with a 1920x1200 I can't go back to low res screens. If we are now getting 10" tablets with 1920x1080 screens, why do manufacturers persist with only offering low res screens?

2. Robert E A Harvey

What I was going to say

768 pixels is not enough. It's close to half of the correct number.

Listen, moronic manufacturers, If I wanted a toy I'd buy a Vtech

2. Kevin

As Piro said. El Reg should just stop reviewing laptops with 15 inch screens and 1366x768 res. I can't imagine the majority of Reg readers would consider it regardless of the other specs....

1. zedthegreat
      Thumb Down

1 good point...

.....of reviewing this rubbish is that it brought it to my attention. It is so poorly flagged up on the majority of websites / shop displays, usually just as "HD Monitor" that I would prob have not looked. I stand educated!!

[Of course if they put decent screens on their machines then education would not be needed. Blissful ignorance]

3. b166er

And why, FFS are they still fitting 5400rpm drives?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My guess is because unless they fit SSDs the battery life will be decidedly poxy if that's what they're aiming for. I know, most larger laptops spend their lives at the end of the rat's tail.

1. tmTM
        Upgraded my laptop to a 7200rpm drive, got a nice increase in performance and no noticeable drop in battery life. A decent 7200 drive uses only a little bit more juice than the crap they put in a standard.
  4. Wayne Stallwood

Pavilion is a Consumer Series

Agreed with Kevin I am not sure why Reg readers would care about a series of laptops really only intended to be punted out cheap by PC World. HP's Business and Pro Book ranges are good enough but the Pavilion range is just cheap tat, regardless of the screen resolution.

5. antwan
    Meh

Why review the low end?

Think this is a little bit of an unfair review...as mentioned, there are a vast number of 'sub' models - I own a 6b07ea which has the A6-3410MX Quad 1.6-2.3GHz, Radeon HD 6755G2 Dual Graphics, 8GB DDR3 RAM, BluRay, 1TB HDD (stupidly still 5400 though...) along with beats audion, aluminium chassis, fingerprint reader etc.......

Overall it feels like a powerful laptop when you're using it, and has a solid kind of feel to it too. I'm really impressed with mine :)

As far as 1366x768 goes, yes it looks good, but for everyday use, word processing etc, i find it quite uncomfortable to look at on a 15"panel, maybe that's just my eyesight though :p

Just wanted to chip in as there are some excellent options in this range, not represented by the reviewed model

6. Bill Neal
    Flame

Choosing an HP notebook isn’t an easy task...

...because you know it will break in a few years for no good reason. I love HP servers, but these dv-series notebooks have been nothing but problems for me. Never again!

7. i dont have one >.>
    Mushroom

i hate this format

i got a lappy for $600 Toshiba satellite with an A8 and only 14inches. Its hard getting anything smaller these days near the gaming power of a mid class desktop for less then $1k killing the bank.dirty 15 inch lappys keep popping up like rats in a cheese factory. I only found my sweet deal by chance near black Friday.

1. h4rm0ny
      Facepalm

And we were so close...

...only three more posts to go and we'd have made it through the entire comments section without someone saying "lappy". For the sake of typing one extra letter, isn't it worth it not to sound like an idiot?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My dv6 is four years old and no problems

My next laptop will be an ultraportable however with a Trinity APU.

9. RAMChYLD
    Boffin

Did you turn on Multi-GPU

Have an A6 with G2 graphics myself. Did you remember to turn on dual graphics in the Catalyst Control Center, enable Crossfire support in the game, set the game to Maximum Performance in switchable graphics and set power management to Maximum performance? I have all of them set, and i get excellent performance in Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod.

10. tranzophobia
    I got this exact model just before christmas (through work benefits scheme) and for the price it's a solid family laptop. I wouldn't use it for any type of business purpose but once you strip the HP preinstalled crap out then it performs perfectly fine for everyday tasks. Horse for courses at the end of the day.
This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like